[A12D] Extreme Temperature Shields (V1.6) 10-8-15 5 Shields added! Fixes!

Started by BangUDie, July 25, 2015, 06:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BangUDie

Extreme Temperature Shields Enhanced!

Adds a Heated (*cozy) shield and a Air-Conditioned (*chilled) shield to the game. And Variants!
10/9/15:Fixed recipe derp, whoops
10/8/15 More shields added, Nudist though fix (again)
(Still looking for suggestions and thoughts)

Hello all,

I have decided after playing on the various extremes of temperatures available to create this simple mod to the personal shields.
Finding that any nudist that joined would annoy me on icesheet and then even on the hottest jungles due to the lack of duster I have made new personal shields.
Now adds various shields with assorted functions to the game (*more to come and I am open to suggestions)

• Cozy Shield - Keeps colonists Warm
  • Chilled Shield - Keeps colonists cool
  • Cozy Shooter Shield - Keeps colonists warm while being able to fire
  • Chilled Shooter Shield - Keeps colonists Cool while being able to fire
  • Cozy Speed Shield - Colonists get a slight buff to move/workspeed (for the oldies)
  • Chilled Speed Shield - Colonists get a slight buff to move/workspeed (for the oldies)
  • Adv. Chilled Shooter Shield More capacity shield that allows firing while keeping cool
  • Adv. Cozy Shooter Shield More capacity shield that allows firing while keeping warm
  • Adv. All Temp. Shooter Worker Shield: Shield that protects from extreme heat and cold while slightly buffing movement
  • Medi-Vac Shield: This shield allows a colonist to charge onto the battlefield and treat wounded quickly
  • Advanced Medi-Vac Shield: This shield allows a colonist to charge onto the battlefield and treat wounded quickly... Better capacity, movement, healing
  • Steadfast Temperate Shield: This shield slightly harms movement speed but provides protection from psychic phenomenon and slightly reduces break threshold
  • Advanced Steadfast Temperate Shield: This shield slightly BUFFS movement speed but provides protection from psychic phenomenon and greatly reduces break threshold... Expensive

Imgur Album Of shield images at Normal Quality: http://imgur.com/a/QX5Ag

Author
Bang_U_Die
Special thanks to:
Skullywag for the shooter shield code and help
1000101 for helping fix nudists thoughts when wearing shield

Download
Attached
--OR--
Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgcuvnvjb07j3b3/Extreme%20Temperature%20Shields.zip?dl=0

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Change Log

10-9-15: Fixed Recipe for shield table derp....
10-8-15: Fixed Nudist thoughts (+20 with a -3 This is intended), Added 5 new shield types(all craft-able and shoot-able), should no longer spawn non shooting shields on ranged raiders, misc tweaks
8-26-15: Updated to A12C.... Main post reorganized, descriptions standardized- let me know what you think of it
8-9-15:   Crafting added with new table, raiders spawn with shields, shield focused traders added, more shield tiers added, enhanced version now worth 1800 silver @normal, advanced runs 2800, FIXED nudists hating shield
7-27-15: Added Enhanced Shield version (Gun Friendly)
Lowered the cost of the base barebones model to 1250 Silver. Enhanced versions cost 1600 (Normal) Tweaked the A/C Shield to be more effective too.
7-25-15:
InitialRelease

[attachment deleted due to age]

kaptain_kavern

Hey nice idea. Thx for the mod. 
During my rounds on extreme biomes Raiders often died before even reached my base.  Did your modified shields are set to be used by Raiders too? Haven't try it yet though

Kaballah

This is a great idea, but I think you probably ought to just drop the projectile stopping feature entirely and in exchange let the wearer shoot normally.  Maybe offer a separate version that works that way.

blinari

I would make the air-conditioned shield more effective. As it is, it's about as effective as a duster at staying cool.

Mr. Picard

Good Idea, but I agree, remove the No Shooting part. It makes it useless for Shooters, who are Nudists and/or Opposite Lovers of the Biome's temperature, making only Brawlers or Melee Users benefiting from this shield.

There should also be several variants. One, as effective as a Synthered Jacket, One as Effective as a Synthered Duster, and another that's as effective as a Synthered Parka.

AllenWL

I like the idea as I was trying to make a colony of nudists but was having headaches at temperature problems but the fact that it prevents shooting makes it loose value a lot as I don't want my nudists(who pretty much have no protection against attacks) trying to get to melee range, especially if the shield isn't as good as it was before. And even more since the said nudist sucks at melee.

A different version where it only protects against temperatures but doesn't protect against shots/prevent firing out of the shield would be nice.

Mrshilka

Interesting, these could help someone survive a cold snap winter in my modded games at least for a few minutes.

BangUDie

Quote from: Kaballah on July 26, 2015, 01:29:55 AM
This is a great idea, but I think you probably ought to just drop the projectile stopping feature entirely and in exchange let the wearer shoot normally.  Maybe offer a separate version that works that way.

I do indeed plan on doing this in the future as soon as I figure out how to make it so you can fire out of the shield... This is my first stab at modding and I am still trying to feel my way around how things work.

I plan on having a few different tiers of the Extreme Shields where the base one would be as is, the next one up would allow firing out but of course be more costly. Then the top tier would not nerf the shield protection but still provide the comfort bonuses. There may even be shields that would buff other aspects of a colonist if I can figure out that.
At that point I am thinking about adding a trader with similar stock to a weapons supplier but would also always include some of these shields or something...

I also plan on ensuring that raiders can spawn with it because I am not entirely sure they can in light of the game I have going at the moment... still testing that

Quote from: blinari on July 26, 2015, 02:24:44 AM

I would make the air-conditioned shield more effective. As it is, it's about as effective as a duster at staying cool.

Yea I did use the duster to give me a rough base idea of a nice protection number... My initial numbers i filled in were -100 comfort added to heated shield and +50 heat resist to the AC shield but that seemed a little ridiculous at the time so I toned it back...

Romi

This is so original, i like it, but kinda cheaty .LOL there are gigantic mechanoids , why not extreme temperature protection shields? *logic*

Kaballah

Quote from: BangUDie on July 26, 2015, 02:01:52 PM
I do indeed plan on doing this in the future as soon as I figure out how to make it so you can fire out of the shield...

Latta built some "shooter shields" a while back that you can decompile and examine:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11171.msg111223#msg111223

skullywag

My github has a mk2 shield that allows shooting, full source is available. Go nuts :)

edit - if you want to know exactly where in the code this is done, either pm me or come join the modders slack and chat to me/other modders:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14501
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

BangUDie

Just uploaded a new version with a shield that can be fired through. Some tweaks done to the normal ones as well. Still plan on doing/adding more options for your colonist's protection!

Kaballah

Nice, I'll give it a try - I actually have been trying to run a "nudists on the ice sheet" colony for a while and this will be a nice addition.  It can be done with vanilla stuff but it's super finnicky in deep winter to go outside and do any combat at all.  Thanks!

e: Oh you actually buffed the shield hitpoints, I was kind of suggesting you remove the hitpoints entirely.  One of the enhanced version at high quality is still going to have like 100 hitpoints, seems excessive to me.  Owell.

Also you should make this a legit nudist item imo and make it require inner, middle and outerwear slots.  Probably I'm in the minority there though.

Kaballah

Kaballah

Got a bug:

Yeah when you enter combat you get a spinning X (missing graphic file) thing rendered over the wearer. FYI thanks!