[A12D] Extreme Temperature Shields (V1.6) 10-8-15 5 Shields added! Fixes!

Started by BangUDie, July 25, 2015, 06:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaballah

It looks like you have no <bubbleGraphicPath>Something</bubbleGraphicPath> block in your ThingDef config file.  no never mind you set it a different way from how Latta did.  Anyhow yes the in-combat bubble mat seems to not be set correctly or is missing.

e: yeah here it is:
      private static readonly Material BubbleMat = MaterialPool.MatFrom("Other/ShieldBubbleNew", ShaderDatabase.Transparent);

no ShieldBubbleNew xml config/file

e: Ok since you seem to have adapted this from Skullywag's customized shield you probably just missed the textures directory:
https://github.com/Skullywag/PersonalShieldMKII/tree/master/Textures

Kaballah

yep that's all it was, fixed mine locally and it loads without errors and displays correctly

Kaballah

Another problem, these still generate the "constraining clothes" thought.

e: Also the text for the enhanced versions is too long to fit into the gizmo box, the last word is trimmed.

the problem is the vanilla ThoughtWorker_NudistNude has a hard check for torso or legs coverage:

namespace RimWorld
{
public class ThoughtWorker_NudistNude : ThoughtWorker
{
protected override ThoughtState CurrentStateInternal(Pawn p)
{
List<Apparel> wornApparel = p.apparel.WornApparel;
for (int i = 0; i < wornApparel.Count; i++)
{
Apparel apparel = wornApparel[i];
for (int j = 0; j < apparel.def.apparel.bodyPartGroups.Count; j++)
{
if (apparel.def.apparel.bodyPartGroups[j] == BodyPartGroupDefOf.Torso)
{
return false;
}
if (apparel.def.apparel.bodyPartGroups[j] == BodyPartGroupDefOf.Legs)
{
return false;
}
}
}
return true;
}
}
}

You can either override ThoughtWorker_NudistNude or make these not cover torso/legs (simpler I think).  Another reason to just remove their damage stopping feature.

I changed my xml config to have them cover the eyes ( ::) ) and that works

kaptain_kavern

BangUDie

Thanks for the bug reports Kaballah... I did indeed forget to texture tinker... Mostly because designing a texture is not really my forte, though I may try to cobble something together... I kind of envisioned a small snowflake on the cooler unit and a tiny flame on the heater but we will see...

I too last night noticed the problem with the nudist but it was kind of late by then. I will take a crack at fixing that today when I get a chance.

As to the removal of protection... My goal was to make it still a tad useful as a shield but to make it a bit costly so deciding would be important. Would a nerf of the recharge rate or capacity, maybe a change in cost or commonality improve it for you?

I want to get its value properly represented in game and to the players. Since it can really mean life or death in more than ways than one. Even more so because I still want to add more variants to this mod as well...

Kaballah

tbh I think you should switch mindsets, the basic version that prevents the user from shooting a ranged weapon should have more hitpoints than the one that allows it.  The "enhanced" version should have a really token amount of hitpoints if any, like a factor of 0.1 (10 points with normal quality).  Nerfing recharge rate/recharge warmup makes little difference in practice because if the user survives the initial salvo to get out of range and allow recharge to begin, then you can keep them out of range long enough to recharge to full if you want to.  Nerfing rarity just makes a horribly imbalanced thing less common, it doesn't make it less horribly unbalanced.

I mean set it however you want I guess, at least the user can nerf it themselves, but the concept of a "shooter shield" is definitely very much at odds with vanilla combat balance.  It's already extremely useful to have an item that allows nudists to operate normally in extreme temperatures, it's a free +20 mood with no downside, so just by itself it's a bit excessive.  Also allowing it to stop 50-100 ranged damage while allowing you to shoot out *AND* wear armor in another slot basically takes combat balance and breaks it in half and sexually assaults the broken stump.

e: On the other hand I think you should probably reduce the price somewhat if you reduce the hitpoints, because it's basically an electric parka

Kaballah

I'm putting together a separate mod that adds recipes to construct these items with material requirements based on Brunayla's Security Corp recipes for personal shields.  When it's done I'll link it in here and BangUDie if you like you can just incorporate it into your mod or leave it separate, or of course leave it out entirely or redo your own version.  Thanks.

BangUDie

Quote from: Kaballah on July 30, 2015, 03:32:44 PM
I'm putting together a separate mod that adds recipes to construct these items with material requirements based on Brunayla's Security Corp recipes for personal shields.  When it's done I'll link it in here and BangUDie if you like you can just incorporate it into your mod or leave it separate, or of course leave it out entirely or redo your own version.  Thanks.

I was actually going to put out that question of what people think would be decent for a recipe or recipes if we want the option to 'convert' a normal shield while still giving an option for going from scratch for the creation of the shields. I do find it quite annoying at times just waiting for traders (though when I add more things I may add a special shield focused trader still).
I also play with the Brunayla's Security Corp mod so I agree that seems like a good place to start.

Kaballah

What I'm doing so far is just to make the basic cold/heat shields have the same cost as Brunayla's, and to have the enhanced version be +10% for normal metals (steel, plasteel) and +1 rare metal (e.g. gold, silver, uranium) which is actually +20 units when crafting.  Does that sound OK? (cloth is left at 6 to represent a belt or strap)

e: Also I'm overriding the vanilla Machining work table to provide a workgiver to produce the recipes at, so no other mods are required besides yours.  Ok?

Kaballah

Converting one is OK too although I can't make the units required smaller than 1, so in practice it would just be some labor I suppose, and tbh it probably should be easier to modify an existing shield to produce this than it would be to build one from scratch.  We're not talking about a whole lot of labor anyway (800 which I believe is 800 normal ticks, or 800 milliseconds or 8 seconds) so how about half of that, 400?

And maybe a token amount of steel/silver?  10 steel 1 silver?  You still have to have the vanilla shield first, whether you killed somebody for it or you paid for it in trade.

Kaballah

I'd like to add two research topics required to unlock the basic and enhanced versions of these, which I guess requires more workbenches unless there's a way to get recipes to be hidden before a research topic has been completed?  I'd rather not have to add more workbenches just for this specific item.

BangUDie

I have seen the Community Core Library mod has the ability to have hidden bills unlocked via research so we just have to figure out how to implement that... Then of course this would also require the CCL to be active in the mod list somewhere though. So at that point we must question what is better... Adding a table or adding a required mod...

Kaballah

I don't use CCL but I've looked at it.  It's up to you really, it's not a really big deal to add more worktables but depending on what mods you have it can already be pretty cluttered, and also the machinist bench is not used for anything but making mortar shells and disassembling mechanoids; but on the other hand if you do go with standalone worktables then you should not have conflicts with other people's mods that also change the vanilla machinist table.

BangUDie

Updated....

Added shield crafting table, raiders spawning with shields, shield related traders, fixed nudists thoughts, added new shields and another tier of heated/cooled shields.
If anyone has any ideas for new variants of the shields let me know. Also feedback on their crafting costs and silver value would be much appreciated.

Specifics:
Shield table in production menu... Currently costs 25 wood 150 Steel and 2 vanilla personal shields.
No research required at this time, though I plan to add it later

BangUDie

Now updated to A12 C
Did a overhaul to the names of the various shields to make them fit in game better