Animal Information Thread + Poll (A17 Updated)

Started by LouisTBR, September 01, 2015, 12:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favourite Animal? State Reasons below after voting please!

Alpaca
Alphabeaver
Boar
Boomalope
Boomrat
Capybara
Chicken
Chinchilla
Cobra
Cow
Deer
Dromedary (Camel)
Elephant
Elk
Hare
Husky
Iguana
Labrador
Megascarab
Monkey
Muffalo
Pig
Squirrel
Thrumbo
Tortoise
Warg
Yorkshire Terrier
Cassowary
Emu
Gazelle
Ibex
Megasloth
Ostrich
Snowhare
Turkey
Megaspider
Spelopede
Raccoon
Rat
Arctic Fox
Arctic Wolf
Cat
Cougar
Fennec Fox
Lynx
Panther
Red Fox
Timberwolf
Grizzly Bear

MsMeiriona

Quote from: danjal on February 18, 2016, 06:24:21 AM
Kinda surprised that with all this input there's no talk of why animals can't be trained to hunt.
Aren't dogs especially known for their use by hunters?
Typically, from what I know, dogs would flush game, retrieve shot birds, or chase things down for hunters. Retrieving is in game already via hauling, flushing game isn't needed, but a way for pets to accompany their master's during hunts without being drafted might be neat, they could corner animals or block them from getting to the master.

(...although I fully expect metal gear style dogs with knives in their mouths to happen sooner or later)

LouisTBR

Yeah, all great points! The only thing is, though, cornering and blocking animals would be considerably hard to program. For example, you would need to factor in Size, Type and Speed of the animal and compare it to that of the dog. You would also have to program individual scenarios for each 'corner' on the map for it to work optimally. Good ideas though!
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Mrred1

I like wargs because they are like tanks but with hearts.
"Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings." ~ Robert Bloch ~

LouisTBR

Nice Description! I need to use that...  ;)
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

myungpetrucci

I have a problem with pets. Not sure if I'm just doing something wrong.

The animals keep destroying doors. Even if I force them open.

Without doors i cant have 'indoors' area

LeoTessa

my husky just died :(

RIP you just learned haul

LouisTBR

Aww, RIP. You will be missed, [insert randomly generated name]  ;D

But on the pet problem, I think that's got to be a bug. Could you give me a more in-depth description? What was the animal trying to get which made it break the door?

Shad

I'm torn between boomrats and squirrels. Having a pack of trained boomrats is an easily replenishable supply of fluffy firebombs. Nothing like releasing about 5-6 into a siege party. You have make sure to keep them in the non-flammable area of the base though.

Squirrels are low damage, but much safer. Still breed very fast, and perfect on incapacitating those enemies you want to take alive.

LouisTBR

If animal grouping was made easier, you could have two packs of little rodents!

LouisTBR

Update: NEW ALPHA 13 ANIMALS IMPLEMENTED!

FlorenceTWA

I like polar bears. They don't like me. I leave corpses out there on the ice and they still choose me for dinner

*Sigh*

LouisTBR

Quote from: FlorenceTWA on May 22, 2016, 01:50:40 PM
I like polar bears. They don't like me. I leave corpses out there on the ice and they still choose me for dinner

*Sigh*

This is gold  ;D

Travinsky

Quote from: FlorenceTWA on May 22, 2016, 01:50:40 PM

*Sigh*

On the Ice Sheet they blend in, I never spot them till one poor colonist who was hauling some junk from a cargo pod gets attacked by a polar.

Natural selection is tough sonofabitch.

Negocromn

Generally speaking boars are the best, alpacas second, chickens third, then a big power gap and the rest.

LouisTBR

Fair enough, but from a combat standpoint those are the worst. Apart from boars. They are tanky