owo

Started by Zelborg, October 16, 2015, 10:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zelborg

owo
outdated thread is outdated

TLHeart

And just how much help is a baby to the colony? or even a toddler? You want it for extra colonists, but I ask just how long do your colonies last? 1 year? 3 years? 5 years? 

Not like the baby is suddenly going to be an adult and useful.

The code is all in the base game to make it happen, except for what to do with them before they reach the minimum age the back stories allow.

Toggle

Quote from: TLHeart on October 17, 2015, 01:48:21 AM
The code is all in the base game to make it happen, except for what to do with them before they reach the minimum age the back stories allow.

There's code for them as babies as other animals are, just because if they went through doing other animals makes sense they'd do humans, but the mating system is not made for mating humans, and would need work.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

rexx1888

its not that your colonists cant be made to have children, its that the world just aint ready for them :P

skullywag

"children" currently are fully grown fully kitted adults....trust me, its been done. Weneed the core game to support it properly, messing with pawn code is very difficult still.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

All that aside, could you imagine the backlash Tynan would get after the first nursery to get slaughtered by raiders?
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

TLHeart

People that request human breeding want a QUICK increase in colonists, not babies and children that are a drain on the colony.

Kinda like all the people that wanted to have huge armies of animals doing their fighting for them... expectations... disappointments... then the backlash at Tynan.

The "quick increase" method is to buy slaves.  I breeding is the exact opposite of "quick."

A bred colonist would be about 7-10 years before being useful and that would only be for hauling.  It would take 10+ years before they could actually be useful (crafting, research, etc).
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

NuclearStudent

With a (hack-job version of) the Ultimate Overhaul Modpack, one of my female colonists got pregnant.

All of my colonists were in crypto but her and her canonical mate, a lean cybernetic genius crafter that had an unfortunate habit of going mad and losing control over his own limbs. Must have been wild in bed. So, I was much surprised to find out that colonists can get pregnant, that the uterus is apparently "the liver", and that spontaneous abortions can happen due to spousal abuse. :(

Anyway, life lesson is that the game confirms your ships, and then slaps them down hard. Don't get pregnant on a rimworld.

iame6162013

Quote from: TLHeart on October 19, 2015, 01:06:37 AM
People that request human breeding want a QUICK increase in colonists, not babies and children that are a drain on the colony.

Kinda like all the people that wanted to have huge armies of animals doing their fighting for them... expectations... disappointments... then the backlash at Tynan.
This happened?
I am disappointed in you community.

But I would actually like a slow I mean 1:1 time for babies aging to toddlers to children to teenagers (able to do basic jobs) to adults.
It would take years but it would be nicer that you can have stories with drama,
when you're starving for food who will you kill the adults who can work or the baby who makes the adults unable to sleep? what will you do?
In my opinion it would really be a benefit and you shouldn't be able to control when they so it so it will give you a baby in the worst possible time. And make you push what your morals allow you to do.
(and have the parents freak out when someone kills their baby and then they kill everyone or at least them selves if they can't hold them selves together..)

I would like it, it would add more depth to the game.
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Fluffy (l2032)

While I'ld like a game like that, I don't think that game is RimWorld.

As others mentioned, the timescale isn't right for it - it would take too long for most folk
The game is more of an arcade survival simulator, a 'lifelike' child-rearing aspect would clash with that imo
Finally, doing it properly means a lot of new game additions; first and foremost a relationship web - children and parents need to be aware of eachother and develop feelings for eachother. Second is all the practical stuff for children. Do they just wander around all day? Do parents carry them around? What about school/training? All of these would be good additions, but they'ld need to happen before children can be done properly. I don't think this is modding territory anymore.

Sheyka

i play rimworld since alpha 8 i think. and if collonists can get pregnant... that would be very awesome.
i never start to build a ship to go "home" ... i play just to make a very big world with tons of collonists... i realy love this game ... but not like that what i made for
i think the little pawns must go to shool and so on ... and maybe with 8-9  years they can do easy work ... like hauling or cleaning ... and at an age of maybe 13-15 years ... they can start with full work (i mean ... in some countries the children work at 6 years and younger [Afrika maybe])
so it would be veeeeeery cool if there where kids ... and ofc its an aditional joy "object" ^^ because... who love not to play with kids :D

(sorry about my english... isnt so good :O)
Sorry for bad english <3

Hague

Babies are easy: Immobile creatures in constant need of "rescue" and a warden like attention. Toddlers that need a zone to be held in and fed. Juveniles could feed themselves and could be assigned follow another pawn around and learn skills from them.

All babies would be assigned a background associated with the Rim Kid, Crash Child, Outlander Child (something along that vein) which would give them average background perks +1 to every Skill and random passions. When they grow to adulthood they get an adulthood background based on their highest skill they've acquired shadowing another colonist with some variations for flavor (pawns raised might become empath if there's an empath in the colony. Passing on traits, etc.) Would be a lot of work :P

This also brings up another opportunity for colonist production: Vat-growing people. So if anyone is interested, a mod to let you vat-grow colonists would be pretty interesting...

NuclearStudent

Quote from: Hague on October 21, 2015, 06:35:48 PM
Babies are easy: Immobile creatures in constant need of "rescue" and a warden like attention. Toddlers that need a zone to be held in and fed. Juveniles could feed themselves and could be assigned follow another pawn around and learn skills from them.

All babies would be assigned a background associated with the Rim Kid, Crash Child, Outlander Child (something along that vein) which would give them average background perks +1 to every Skill and random passions. When they grow to adulthood they get an adulthood background based on their highest skill they've acquired shadowing another colonist with some variations for flavor (pawns raised might become empath if there's an empath in the colony. Passing on traits, etc.) Would be a lot of work :P

This also brings up another opportunity for colonist production: Vat-growing people. So if anyone is interested, a mod to let you vat-grow colonists would be pretty interesting...

Easy to think but a butterscotch bitch to code he he.

DGInFamous

Well if aging was a thing like in the [Sims] then breeding would work just fine. Instead of aging being 1:1 it could be for every one year they age 3-4 years... or even 6-7. Let our colonists die of actual natural causes for heavens sake, we've worked together for 6+ years and hes struggling to move now lol.

And no breeding wouldn't be a way for people just to increase their colony quickly (there is that debug menu that can give you 30 colonists in 2 secs) it would be another challenge, cuz now I have to take care of this screaming baby when I'm supposed to be building wall for the next phase of our base.
....InFamous....