Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pheanox

I thought of a few more as well:

• Clothing dye
  • A recall button in an attack that cancels all orders and brings your colonists home
  • A draft all button (Or draft all but "Incapable of: Violent")
  • More carpet colors, or simply a color wheel when you click on carpet so it can be a range of colors (I love dark purple!)
  • Nickname option: Allows you to change colonists on screen name
  • Power conduits can be built on top of, can be laid under existing objects
  • Carpet can be placed under already built objects
  • A "dismantle" option similar to PA that lets you dismantle an item and put it in storage so you can put it somewhere else, rather then sell and rebuild

Adamemnon

• First Aid Kit - I noticed that some kind of MedKit is already there. I guess it is used to heal patients faster. First aid kit would stop loosing health of unconscious colonist so that they won't die while you are dragging them back to the base.
  • Kevlar vest or something like that - better chance of falling unconscious rather then dying.
  • Conti027 mentioned Med bay - that's a good idea!
  • stun grenades
  • aggressive plants - like those in Fallout
  • the game definitely needs more resources than just metal. Oil? - to power up oil generators, polymerize plastic. Plastic would be required to build decorative items which improve happiness.
  • cemetery (high capacity) instead of individual graves

Hypolite

I second the common grave. My cemetery is taking ridiculous real estate, and only for pesky raiders.

AspenShadow

Quote from: Hypolite on October 09, 2013, 02:50:37 PM
I second the common grave. My cemetery is taking ridiculous real estate, and only for pesky raiders.

What about a mass grave?

A cemetery is a little too respectful for raiders and it's more of a place than an object.

Adamemnon

Quote from: AspenShadow on October 09, 2013, 02:54:17 PM
Quote from: Hypolite on October 09, 2013, 02:50:37 PM

What about a mass grave?

A cemetery is a little too respectful for raiders and it's more of a place than an object.

What about a crematorium? You can keep individual graves for colonist and burn all other dead bodies.

Nero

Racism - If the relationship module makes it then have different races for the randomly generated characters. If a character has the Racist trait they get a massive penalty to relations with characters of X race.

AspenShadow

Quote from: Adamemnon on October 09, 2013, 02:56:56 PM
What about crematorium? You can keep individual graves for colonist and burn all other dead bodies.

Once again it's more of a building and someone's already conceived of an incinerator for that same use as well as fulfil others.

...I'm really not sure about Racism, it's too much of a sticky subject for me to get involved in but I'd be against it going in the game I think. All colonists are born equal and atm don't have races, it'd serve no real purpose to give them a race as skin colour doesn't affect who they are.

Nero

It's a real thing though and could be an interesting story telling option, and wouldn't be hard to put in. I am a fan of colonist in-fighting and tension. After 5 months in close quarters with 5 or 6 other people you aren't going to be best friends with them in most cases.

CommieKazie

Smoke grenades â€" Some means for raiders to obscure their movements and gain ground without getting slaughtered.

Perhaps on this note, flashbangs, etc...

I saw a youtube assault where the raiders just walked through a fatal funnel.  They should have more strategic options.  (Might sound costly, but this game is built on a strategic-shooter framework, no?  So these things should be in already).

Also, less-than-lethal weapons to 'increase recruitment'

Blitz

Powerless walls.

When building a large enclosed structure, the game comes up with a prompt saying you cannot finish the roof due to it being too far away and to add support. If you add a single wall block, you get a constant message saying that you have a disconnected building. If we had a powerless wall that could be used as a pillar (cheaper than regular walls) it would help this problem.

Tynan

Quote from: Blitzkriegsler on October 09, 2013, 03:58:58 PM
Powerless walls.

When building a large enclosed structure, the game comes up with a prompt saying you cannot finish the roof due to it being too far away and to add support. If you add a single wall block, you get a constant message saying that you have a disconnected building. If we had a powerless wall that could be used as a pillar (cheaper than regular walls) it would help this problem.

I actually disabled this warning for walls entirely in the latest build after seeing this in some Youtube vids.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

SpaceEatingTrex

Tynan, glad to see you're taking easy to implement ideas. Having a lot of small elements together could add a lot of depth to RimWorld, and make for some interesting details in stories. A couple of thoughts on this thread:

1. People without programming experience might not understand what's easy to implement and what's not. Tynan did a good job pointing out things that require extra behavioral planning or entirely new mechanics are not cheap. There have been a lot of good ideas in this thread, but some of them are pretty complex.

2. Having too many elements or variations visible to the player could be overwhelming or unapproachable to new players. An example from Dwarf Fortress: there are numerous different types of metal ore. 99% of the time the existence of separate Hematite, Limonite and Magnetite instead of just a generic "iron ore" serves no purpose other than to confuse new players.

As for cheap ideas, one I haven't seen mentioned yet:
EMP Grenade - grenade that only damages electronics. Hopefully easy to implement like the Molotov.

Otherwise there seem to be a number of good ideas already posted by people who have presumably played the game. Something like a common grave seems like it should be easy if graves already exist. Also I think GC13's idea of Bed Ownership - Wounded would be good if the ownership behaviors already exist so it only took an "if (wounded)" branch or such.

Haplo

I'd like position markers (like the home zone, only one square size per click) to be occupied if attacked.
So you build a sand barrier and mark three squares behind it like this.
If an enemy attacks, three fighters try automatically to man up these positions.

Additionally a retreat zone, where non fighters retreat to, while an attack is occuring.

With this you can build some tactical defenses before the fight and don't need to micromanage everything manually while the attack occures.

OK, I'm not sure if this really qualifies as a cheap idea... :)

Pheanox

Quote from: Haplo on October 09, 2013, 04:44:13 PM
I'd like position markers (like the home zone, only one square size per click) to be occupied if attacked.
So you build a sand barrier and mark three squares behind it like this.
If an enemy attacks, three fighters try automatically to man up these positions.

Additionally a retreat zone, where non fighters retreat to, while an attack is occuring.

With this you can build some tactical defenses before the fight and don't need to micromanage everything manually while the attack occures.

OK, I'm not sure if this really qualifies as a cheap idea... :)

This is always useful.  Just generally more zone markers and stuff for planning and organizing your colony in multiple circumstances.  Being able to set bed ownership, medical beds, etc.

Showers to remove dirt.

C4ptMiles

Emergency Power and Backup power supply - Simple you can switch batteries between normal and backup. In Normal the have a yellow bar, in backup a blue maybe.
And you can designate every energy consumer if it works only on normal, only on backup or on both.

For Example:
You are defending your underbround base and your energy is getting low, cause your gerneratores are destroyed. your batteries are empty and from now on, all the turrets you had designated are running on the backup batteries. everything else is powerless.

(hope you understand what i mean)

grettz
Miles
Captain Miles; but you can call me Captain.