Question about the Graphics (hands/legs of people)

Started by humblebundle, February 13, 2016, 05:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Friend

Circle hands? Maybe. Feet? Nope, that would just look extremely silly and Rayman.

The majority of us don't really have any problem with the art style and thinks it suits the game and wonky graphics are far and few in between. The best that I can suggest for improvement is cleaning up certain textures and adding more flashy effects. I seriously doubt an art overhaul is ever going to happen. Why fix something that's not broken?

Project Zomboid's graphical quality is debatable but I got to say, I really like the DF one. Is that vanilla? Haven't played it in years.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Thane

Nope, read the article. It's a massive mod that is the result of years of work.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

muffins

That's a separate program that runs alongside DF. There's a lot of little programs like that. This is what DF looks like with a graphical mod. Those are zombies charging down my entrance passageway.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 14, 2016, 07:51:37 PM
Gentz, by Triple A graphics, do you mean that when we see them, we'll go "AAA!" because that would be apt, IMHO.

Nope, that's AAA as in 3 dead alligators all in a row! Or maybe an anaconda, an alligator, and an aardvark all got their final comeuppance with one mighty swing of some legendary silver hammer named "NakedGristle" that menaced with spikes of turkey leather.

On the serious side, from all the "Let's Plays" I've watched so far, I love the graphics just how they are. Can't wait to scoop this up on Steam as soon as possible.

TheGentlmen

Quote from: muffins on February 24, 2016, 01:33:50 PM
That's a separate program that runs alongside DF. There's a lot of little programs like that. This is what DF looks like with a graphical mod. Those are zombies charging down my entrance passageway.
I men't Vinnila DF. I just couldn't stand memorizing letters so I got the starter pack with thier tileset thingys.

humblebundle

I don't say, i don't like Rimworld graphics at all, it could be worse and hands are not thaaaat important.
If you take a look at the images/textures of the game, the quality is very diffrent, from very good quality (wood texture) to very low (most animals, players and on).
I would like to get some official answer about this, will the team work on the graphics (player and on) or not?
english is not my main language, that should explain a lot...

Toggle

There's actually 1 Artist I'm pretty sure, there's no team for it, so I doubt the player graphics will be worked on anymore.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

TheGentlmen

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on February 24, 2016, 03:30:36 PM
There's actually 1 Artist I'm pretty sure, there's no team for it, so I doubt the player graphics will be worked on anymore.
I think thier's 2, one for the small stuff (pawns, buildings, ect) and another for the big stuff (storyteller port rates, main menu thingy, ect)

Toggle

Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENTZ /'jen(t)z/) on February 24, 2016, 09:37:24 PM
I think thier's 2, one for the small stuff (pawns, buildings, ect) and another for the big stuff (storyteller port rates, main menu thingy, ect)

Rite rite.

TheGentlmen

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on February 24, 2016, 09:44:23 PM

Rite rite.

Not sure if that's sarcasm, or if you seriously agree with me.

Oh well.  ::)

A Friend

Correcto! https://ludeon.com/blog/studio/
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Panzer

I recall Tynan once mentioning that he wants to leave some things up to our imagination, just like reading a book, you get rudimentary info about a person, in Rimworlds case skin color, haircut, body build, various ailments etc... and I think the same applies to actions, e.g. your grower harvests some corn, what you see is him standing there, the plant vanishes and to his side appears a stack of corn, but in your head you may see how he plucks each corn cob and puts it in a basket.

Some people might argue this is just lazy programming/animation, but I kinda like that imagination idea, and I think it would look very goofy when pawns suddenly get arms and legs.

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: Panzer on February 25, 2016, 06:53:11 AM
I recall Tynan once mentioning that he wants to leave some things up to our imagination, just like reading a book, you get rudimentary info about a person, in Rimworlds case skin color, haircut, body build, various ailments etc... and I think the same applies to actions, e.g. your grower harvests some corn, what you see is him standing there, the plant vanishes and to his side appears a stack of corn, but in your head you may see how he plucks each corn cob and puts it in a basket.

Some people might argue this is just lazy programming/animation, but I kinda like that imagination idea, and I think it would look very goofy when pawns suddenly get arms and legs.
I came here pretty much to say exactly that. It's supposed to be a story telling game, I'd rather imagine something awesome to fill in the blanks, than have everything filled in for me. I think the current graphics, limited as they are, do quite well in that regard. They give enough expression to tell a story, but not so much as to stifle the imagination.

That said, I do agree with a couple of posters up, the assets that are there are sometimes of mixed styles/resolutions/quality, which can be immersion breaking. Particularly a switch in perspective that happens for some items is bugging me.

Toggle

Quote from: TheGentlmen (GENTZ /'jen(t)z/) on February 24, 2016, 09:59:20 PM
Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on February 24, 2016, 09:44:23 PM

Rite rite.

Not sure if that's sarcasm, or if you seriously agree with me.

Oh well.  ::)

Actually agreeing, as I didn't know. I was pretty sure a different artist did the storyteller art then in-game, but that was all I knew.

RickyMartini

While I don't mind it staying the way it is right now, It surely would add a lot of depth if it was possible to see how many limbs the colonists have left. Plus imagine the new sprites people could create for bionics etc.