[1.3] Map Reroll (2.7.1) - Pick your starting map

Started by UnlimitedHugs, March 28, 2016, 05:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: DangitRandy on September 25, 2017, 03:39:26 AM
Would it be possible to add a button to recenter a map around the home area? I keep finding good situations located close to the edge of the map. They would work, but I hate it when raids appear right next to my wall, and also some resources are a long walk away. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a tool to "Recenter Map" around the home area? The tool would delete cells far from home, and generate the same number of cells on the opposite side. In effect, the map edges would move, putting the home area dead center.

Hello!
While a neat idea, it would require a near complete overhaul of the vanilla map generator. Unless it were a commission, I'm steering well clear of that :)
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

Canute

Why not create a Map painter instead ?
It is the same with random rolls vs. Prepare carefully. I can click 200 times on reroll the charactor to get a wanted trait/skill combo or use PC.

Why to reroll the map many time until you got a nearly-wanted map then just let them paint their map.
Ofcourse with some rules. Not that they can turn all tiles into richsoil.

maculator

Because map reroll just does to the mapgeneration what the stock pawn genereator lets you do to your colonists: let you check what you're about to get befor you say "yes".
Prepare Carefully is a nice mod, but its cheesy. Drawing your own map is just chating and nothing else. Even Map Reroll is hard on the edge of beeing cheesy.
I'd love to see a option where map reroll gives you 9 previews only and you got to choose one wich then is your map without further rerolls. It should choose 9 mostly different maps (not 9 maps wich are almost similar) wich it then presents to you to choose, no resource costs, no more reroll. Thad'd be the best way I imagine.

Edit: just to finish my thought, even if it gets offtopic:
The same should, in my opinion, apply to the screen where you choose your colonists. Instead of using Prefare Carfeully or clicking the "random" button 102840ß29841 times the game should give you a pool of lets say 20 colonists wich happend to be on the ship and you now can choose who to take. No more "random" spam. And maybe you'll see some of the guys you didn't choose later as wanderers or pirates, who knows?

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Canute on September 25, 2017, 05:02:19 AM
Why not create a Map painter instead ?

Adding to what maculator said, making a good map requires effort and implies full knowledge. Most of the time I can't even be bothered to come up with a name- much less draw a whole map :P
Still, we could use a nice map editor mod.

Quote from: maculator on September 25, 2017, 05:24:38 AM
I'd love to see a option where map reroll gives you 9 previews only and you got to choose one wich then is your map without further rerolls. It should choose 9 mostly different maps (not 9 maps wich are almost similar) wich it then presents to you to choose, no resource costs, no more reroll. Thad'd be the best way I imagine.

Interesting idea. How would the game decide if a map looks too similar to another, though?
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

SpaceDorf

There are a lot of algorithms for picture comparison you could define it by sectors or pixels.
Or you could train a neural net to do this :)

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

maculator

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on September 25, 2017, 06:22:28 AM
Interesting idea. How would the game decide if a map looks too similar to another, though?

Well since I'm no coder I can't say^^ I guess some application would've to compare some previews or the informations behind the previews...
I also don't know wich informations are available to map reroll, but it displays maps verry accurate - so I guess it knows wich tile is what.
So it could take the current map (or the first one it generates, if the mod would start before landing on a map) and compare the next map it would generate with that one.
Many mountain tiles to the south again? --> Skip to the next one.
Mountains scattered across the entire map with no "big" mountain? --> keep it, 7 more to go.
etc.
Maybe devide the map in 10x10 squares and create indexes for each of those tiles of mountains, water, outside connection, fertile soil, etc.?
Put a weight to each of those factors (fertile soil isn't as much a criteria for "difference" as 100 mountain tiles compared to 0 mountain tiles)...
This is how I as a noob think about that stuff :D

DangitRandy

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on September 25, 2017, 03:58:11 AMHello!
While a neat idea, it would require a near complete overhaul of the vanilla map generator. Unless it were a commission, I'm steering well clear of that :)
Yikes! Ok I agree, don't do that. Thanks for the kind and swift reply!

sevwren

How is support for A18 looking for this so far?

UnlimitedHugs

Updated to 2.1.2

Added a stop-gap solution to prevent an unknown mod conflict from breaking map rerolling.

This release is for A17.

Golden

Please, please update this mod for Beta 18!  :)  I love this.

I know there have been problems with compatibility with other mods, but for those of us who don't use very many and run close to vanilla, this is wonderful.  I noticed that you posted on Steam about letting those who do run into conflicts troubleshoot to find their problems and that sounds good to me.  If someone is using a LOT of mods, it should be their responsibility to run down such a conflict, not yours.  You would have more than enough to do with making patches if that is needed on your part, or maybe on the other mod creator's end.  :)

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Golden on November 18, 2017, 04:22:30 PM
Please, please update this mod for Beta 18!  :)  I love this.

I know there have been problems with compatibility with other mods, but for those of us who don't use very many and run close to vanilla, this is wonderful.  I noticed that you posted on Steam about letting those who do run into conflicts troubleshoot to find their problems and that sounds good to me.  If someone is using a LOT of mods, it should be their responsibility to run down such a conflict, not yours.  You would have more than enough to do with making patches if that is needed on your part, or maybe on the other mod creator's end.  :)

I appreciate your feedback.
It's tough to hear that someone is having issues without being able to help. Maybe I feel partly responsible for their plight :)
Then again, I do remind myself that there is the silent majority, for whom, I can only assume, things are working out just fine.
So yes, I will most likely update. At a glance, things don't look too broken, so it shouldn't take long.

Golden

UnlimitedHugs

Updated to 2.2.0

Well, there you go, folks- B18 update is here.
Since the game now generates caves, I made some tweaks to allow them to show up on the previews. You can toggle them off if you prefer the surprise or would like to have the previews be generated a bit faster.
Also, the map resizing feature now works for map rerolls, as well. Map size can be changed in the mod options menu.

Hope you enjoy, and do let me know if you run into any issues.

ouyin2000

Hey, UH thanks for updating so quickly!

I seem to be having an error producing any previews. I'm using the steam version and currently running just HugsLib, Prepare Landing, Prepare Carefully, and of course, Map Reroll. I have a bunch of other mods, but they have been disabled (not uninstalled) and I've confirmed the issue exists in a new game.

Here's my log: https://gist.github.com/HugsLibRecordKeeper/1c541328d2494fce7e4f07be0758b446

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: ouyin2000 on November 19, 2017, 10:39:08 PM
I seem to be having an error producing any previews. I'm using the steam version and currently running just HugsLib, Prepare Landing, Prepare Carefully, and of course, Map Reroll. I have a bunch of other mods, but they have been disabled (not uninstalled) and I've confirmed the issue exists in a new game.
Here's my log: https://gist.github.com/HugsLibRecordKeeper/1c541328d2494fce7e4f07be0758b446

Thank you, looks like I missed the river generation changes.
I'll have to figure out how to tackle this... for now just avoid rerolling river maps. Every other type should work fine, including the coastal ones.