[1.3] Map Reroll (2.7.1) - Pick your starting map

Started by UnlimitedHugs, March 28, 2016, 05:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry_Dicks

I had this random idea, after thinking about what you said about having map orientation always facing one direction being too difficult to implement: would being able to rotate the map from the preview ever be viable? I think it might sound like a bunch of work as well, but I at least wanted to ask :)

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on March 02, 2018, 10:09:26 AM
I had this random idea, after thinking about what you said about having map orientation always facing one direction being too difficult to implement: would being able to rotate the map from the preview ever be viable? I think it might sound like a bunch of work as well, but I at least wanted to ask :)

Well the preview is currently being generated from a stripped down map, not the other way around. But I do have some ideas that potentially include this, and other neat things. Time will tell if they do get implemented, of course :)
With the upcoming release of 1.0, mod makers can put their feet up a bit and relax, since the game is not going to be changing that much. This also means that it will be viable to implement ideas that would be otherwise too expensive to maintain.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

Harry_Dicks

Well you just put a big ol' smile across my face ;D

Harry_Dicks

Weird bug. I know I told you about Map ReRoll not always respecting the "mountain level" from Configurable Maps. For example, when I do a "very high mountain level" on large hills map, the rerolls won't be appropriate. However, with the level set to only "high", and choosing a mountain level, it seems to work a little bit? I'm not sure.

I am also not sure if the sliders on CM actually change anything among the gradient for the different setting levels. By this I mean, when I have it set to "very high mountain level" is there a "low" and "high" setting among just the "very high mountain level"? This I cannot tell you, and I doubt dburgdorf would ever answer me anyway.

The issue is that I selected a world tile that had a creek running through it, and the creek is appropriately running through my map, through rocks and everything. But when I am looking at the previews that have water in them, it looks like none of the "creeks" are actually creeks, that have a continuous flow through the map, like I have on my current one.

Something I thought was worth your attention. If not, no biggie! Thanks! :)

wwWraith

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on March 02, 2018, 09:24:22 PM
The issue is that I selected a world tile that had a creek running through it, and the creek is appropriately running through my map, through rocks and everything. But when I am looking at the previews that have water in them, it looks like none of the "creeks" are actually creeks, that have a continuous flow through the map, like I have on my current one.

I think it's only the previews, actually that creek will be continuous when you'll generate the map.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Harry_Dicks

After generating so many previews, and playing around with the settings from Configurable Maps enough, I've come to this weird conclusion. When I have the mountain level turned up one notch, the first mountain map that i pick from the world screen will look pretty unique. That is, compared to all of the following map reroll previews that I will get. However, I am convinced that the previews I am seeing are not of the vanilla "mountain level". As in, Map Reroll is still kind of respecting the mountain level from CM. At least, that's how it appears to me. I'm not saying I am convinced I am 100% correct in this, but all of the map previews look a little more mountainy than a vanilla mountain map, but still aren't as mountainy as the first map I generate coming from the world screen.

I'm not sure if any of that is even relevant. Oh well :)

Also, I do very rarely get this bug that pops up while generating previews, something about the previews having an issue generating water.

Failed to find all necessary river flow data
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.Log:ErrorOnce(String, Int32)
RFR_Code.RFR_GenStep_Terrain:GenerateRiverLookupTexture(Map, RFR_RiverMaker)
RFR_Code.RFR_GenStep_Terrain:GenerateRiver_Patch2(Object, Map)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[], Exception&)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke(Object, BindingFlags, Binder, Object[], CultureInfo)
System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[])
MapReroll.MapPreviewGenerator:GeneratePreviewForSeed(String, Int32, Int32, Boolean, Texture2D)
MapReroll.MapPreviewGenerator:DoThreadWork()

EDIT: Also, you guys were right about the preview being wrong about the creek. Dammit, I never bothered to check, and thought I kept having to go back and reset my entire world to reroll the map! ::)

Anyway, here is the preview imagine, versus the real map's image:

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on March 02, 2018, 09:24:22 PM
- snip -

No worries, I haven't forgotten :)
From looking at CM's code, I believe only discrete values can be set, i.e. moving the slider partially has no effect.
As for the rivers on previews, that looks like something I can fix on my end.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on March 03, 2018, 01:26:39 PM
Failed to find all necessary river flow data

That's a vanilla bug. It's pretty harmless- I think it's just failing to generate the flowy water texture in some places.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on March 03, 2018, 11:05:50 PM
No worries, I haven't forgotten :)
Thanks for letting me know. :)

However I think I worded what I meant to say poorly. What I meant was, I wanted to modify what my thoughts on the matter were. Originally, I had thought that Map Reroll wasn't listening to the "mountain level" at all from CM. But now, I wanted to say that I thought it was listening "a little", just not fully, if that even makes any sense, or even matters... I have just been staring at so many reroll previews with either CM on or off, and I wanted to say that with the mountain level turned up one level, yes the previews aren't the same as the original map I generated, however I don't they that they are still completely vanilla looking.

From looking at CM's code, I believe only discrete values can be set, i.e. moving the slider partially has no effect.
Awesome! Thanks for answering that for me, it was something that had been bugging me for awhile. Because, uhh, I don't think I'll be getting any answers for anything related to any of the RF mods any time soon... :-[

As for the rivers on previews, that looks like something I can fix on my end.
Great! Thanks again for making such an awesome mod like Map Reroll. I can't even begin to imagine what it took to make something like this, being that I only barely understand the xml and inheritance of the game ::) But the fact that we have something as awesome as it is, it just really blows my mind, and I really am very appreciative to have a mod with these sorts of capabilities. It's something that once you've seen and tried, makes it near impossible to try and continue on without using it.

Oblitus

Can you make it generate previews for the next page once all for current are generated?

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Oblitus on July 02, 2018, 05:33:51 PM
Can you make it generate previews for the next page once all for current are generated?

Just scroll to the last page you want generated- all the previews will be queued up and you can leave the game to do its thing for a while.
You can quickly flip pages with shift+mouse wheel, if I remember right.

madmario

Such a superb mod.  I am glad to see you're active UnlimitedHugs, and I hope this can get updated for 1.0.  Super great work that is sorely missed on this day off :)

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: madmario on July 04, 2018, 04:08:07 PM
Such a superb mod.  I am glad to see you're active UnlimitedHugs, and I hope this can get updated for 1.0.  Super great work that is sorely missed on this day off :)

I appreciate the kind words :)
It'll be updated eventually. Not too much stuff to fix, but i do like to take my sweet time.

Very_Svensk

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on July 04, 2018, 04:37:00 PM
Quote from: madmario on July 04, 2018, 04:08:07 PM

It'll be updated eventually. Not too much stuff to fix, but i do like to take my sweet time.

I would think it is quite tedious to update it everytime the game goes from Unstable -> Alpha -> Beta. That's a lot of times the code gets jarbled.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: Very_Svensk on July 05, 2018, 08:27:04 AM
I would think it is quite tedious to update it everytime the game goes from Unstable -> Alpha -> Beta. That's a lot of times the code gets jarbled.

It's not too bad- Minecraft modders have it way harder than us.
The upside is that updating often gives you an excuse to implement some new idea "while I'm already at it". Also, you get to see that people still play and care, which is always nice.

PGMP1979

[/quote]

Looking forward for that day, Rimworld is not the same without your mod.
:) Take your time, do it right.
All your work is deeply appreciated. :)