MODDERS PLEASE READ, Abstracts and how they should be used.

Started by 1000101, April 25, 2016, 05:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: CannibarRechter on August 15, 2016, 08:51:16 AM
Quote from: skullywag on April 25, 2016, 07:08:20 PM
you cant have a file with nothing but abstracts in, you must have 1 complete def i believe.

Hi, Skully,

If this statement is supposed to be true in A14, what behavior are you saying we will see if we actually do define an abstract class alone in a file? I'm asking because I have such a file, and it compiles without exceptions. Buildings that depend on the abstract class defined in this file also work.

That was true for A13, A14 allows you to have a file with nothing but abstracts.  I now tend to use a single file per def class for all my abstracts for easier management.

Quote from: MoatBordered on August 15, 2016, 02:45:31 PM
Quote from: 1000101 on August 14, 2016, 03:01:01 PM
The defs of any mod loaded before yours are visible but abstracts are not defs.  Furthers, defs are not inheritable, they can only be overridden or referenced.

Does this have any practical applications? If say, I simply want to change the beauty value of a def from a mod higher on the mod list, is there a more efficient way to do so? Err.. besides copying the whole def only to change a single line?

That is basically correct, there is no built-in mechanic to change a single field value.  CCL has some injectors which will change specific values and there is notfoods experimental override mod which is designed to be more generic in this respect.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

TrueDestroyer

Just found this thread, turns out my mods must be full of hidden bugs. And I found this thread, cause in the end this caused critical bugs. Will fix them all.

Edit:
Just letting you know, I'm pretty sure I eliminated the glitch with multi analyzer resource mod and vitals monitor resource mod. More info in the main thread:)

- my vanilla friendly balanced mods and game fixes.

skullywag

Gonna sticky this for a bit, People need to read this, its happening and causing a lot of issues in the bug forums.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Dingo

Sticking the #1 most common mod-related structural issue? BLASPHEMY. (*Whispers to self*: "Sssh, it's OK. One day they'll sticky the XML Documentation Project. One day...")

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: Dingo on October 09, 2016, 09:58:41 AM
Sticking the #1 most common mod-related structural issue? BLASPHEMY. (*Whispers to self*: "Sssh, it's OK. One day they'll sticky the XML Documentation Project. One day...")
I even ask politely, giving them "dear moderators" and all ;)

There must be a way to bribe them... With <Beer>10</Beer> maybe ?

Tammabanana

o.O

Thanks for stickying this. I'll, uh, fix that before I try posting for feedback on My First Mods.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

skullywag

Tammabanana

oh my god half my favorite mods from other people are also missing the abstracts

:o
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

kaptain_kavern

You too have noticed ?  ::)

* kaptain_kavern is saying this after several hours of "output_log.txt-DIVING" to find so-called bugs in mods he works on :p

It is up to us (all) to Spread the Message now; then

Cheers all,
it's a relief (at least to me) that we can help each others out like that -
You all rock 8)
(Yep even RawCode;D - I like the all gruff/rough style AND your inputs are always sharp/precise - including when it takes me 2 day and half a book to understand)

milon

Quote from: skullywag on October 09, 2016, 09:30:13 AM
Gonna sticky this for a bit, People need to read this, its happening and causing a lot of issues in the bug forums.

Let's keep it stickied.  Also, I'll reference this from my Modder's Reference thread.

ison

Could anyone please confirm that you can't in fact inherit XML nodes from the Core mod like BuildingBase? If so then it's a bug. Since A15 you should be able to inherit from all nodes which come from mods loaded before your mod.

skullywag

Ill get the modders in the discord on testing this. Im sure it didnt work on a15 though.

milon

Spdskatr

I learnt this the hard way. Gawd dang I should have read this before I ever dabbled in modding.
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

GiantSpaceHamster

The fact that even the core abstracts are inaccessible to mods is crazy unintuitive to me. This makes one of the potentially easiest ways to experiment with modding, creating a new variant of an existing def based on an existing abstract, very confusing.

Avoiding conflicting abstract names on the other hand is something that any casual coder should understand. Just make your def name unique by including your mod name and/or a random number or string sequence at the end.

If there are other problems with sharing abstracts across mods, I am failing to see them.