How to Quickly Change What Mods are Loaded

Started by robotguy4, August 12, 2016, 01:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robotguy4

If you're like me, you not only (attempt to) mod Rimworld, you also play it. And if you're like me, you probably play with other mods installed. Also, if you're like me, you probably are weird and smell funny.

Personal hygiene problems aside, I'm here to help. You've probably wanted a way to quickly change the mod order or disable all the mods quickly for testing purposes and then revert them to play a game. Here's what I came up with:

• Locate your Rimworld appdata. This is the place where the game saves stuff, like savegames and configs. On Windows, you go to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld
    On Mac, ~/Library/Application\ Support/RimWorld/Saves/ On Linux, /home/your user name/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/
  • Go to the Config folder
  • Copy your ModsConfig.xml Rename the copy ModsConfig.xml.backup This file contains the load order of all the mods
  • Edit ModsConfig.xml. If you just want core to load, delete everything between the <li> and </li> tags except <li>Core</li>
  • Save the file and start up RimWorld. If you click the Mods button, you'll now find that only Core is enabled.
  • To revert to your previous settings, just replace ModsConfig.xml with ModsConfig.xml.backup
If there's an easier/faster way to do this, please let me know. I hope this helps someone.

kaptain_kavern

Look in the readme files in Rimworld Folder.

You can even use DOS command for specify (with a shortcuts on windows) where the savefiles and config will be saved. So technically all you have to do is having separate installation and refer to them with the shortcuts

QuoteOVERRIDING:
You can override the save data folder. This is useful, for example, if you want to install the game on a USB stick so you can plug and play it from anywhere.
To do this, add this to the end of the command line used to launch the game:

-savedatafolder=C:/Path/To/The/Folder

So it'll look something like this:

C:/RimWorld/RimWorld.exe -savedatafolder=C:/Path/To/The/Folder

If you don't start the path with anything, it'll be relative to the game's root folder. So you could do this, to have the game save data in a folder called SaveData in its own root folder:

-savedatafolder=SaveData

Be sure the game is running with permission to modify the folder. It may not work properly if, for example, you run the game under default permissions on its own install folder.

robotguy4

Just read the readme. Yeah, that helps a little. I don't mod using a Windows system, but it might have given me an idea.

I like that you can type C:/RimWorld/RimWorld.exe -quicktest.

EDIT: Yep. It works.

If you have a Steam version, you can apply those properties using Steam's launch options. Just type in the part after the "-". Tested "-quicktest" on Mac, it works.

Fluffy (l2032)

the savedatafolder option isn't OS-specific, will work just fine on unix systems (just need to give it a valid path, obviously)

robotguy4

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on August 18, 2016, 03:30:35 AM
the savedatafolder option isn't OS-specific, will work just fine on unix systems (just need to give it a valid path, obviously)
Of course, but you can't run the DOS commands. I suspect there's similar Unix commands, but it doesn't mention them in the readme. I'm guessing it's something like RimWorldMac.app/Contents/MacOS/RimWorldMac, but since I use Steam and it usually won't start without being launched through Steam, I'll just use the Steam way.