[1.0] SeedsPlease!

Started by notfood, August 16, 2016, 01:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gillsminnow

Ahh didn't know you could do that. Excellent.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

notfood

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Dolore9000

Fur Queen Marble less, thank you!

gamedesign69

Why do seeds cost so much? I see strawberry seeds for sale for like $75. That strikes me as really bizarre- to start up even a small farm that's like $750, am I missing something?

Warforyou

Quote from: gamedesign69 on August 18, 2016, 06:21:44 AM
Why do seeds cost so much? I see strawberry seeds for sale for like $75. That strikes me as really bizarre- to start up even a small farm that's like $750, am I missing something?

This feels balanced as it is bringing you the constant food source.

JT

Quote from: gamedesign69 on August 18, 2016, 06:21:44 AM

First thing I changed after I downloaded was reducing all of the costs by a factor of five. =)

I get that one lone seed can produce $(crop_value*yield) worth of product (ignoring for a moment that sale prices are only 55% at "normal" Rough difficulty, so it should actually be $(crop_value*yield*0.55) to represent the final sale cost)... but since seeds are dropped automatically in excess of the crop size, it is essentially free for abstracted offworld farmers and growers to produce viable seeds: any excess of seeds that they don't require is of no value to them, so any price they charge is mostly related to what they expect the market will bear and to recoup distribution costs from the sale.

Since space travel in the Rimworld universe appears to be relatively low-cost -- why else would we have dozens of spaceships visiting a planet on the extreme fringes of transstellar space every year, let alone every planet on the rim sporting a half-dozen or more population entities -- even the transport costs would be comfortably low.

So, if the price would be what the market will bear, $75 for a square metre of strawberry plants is not particularly bearable for me. ;-)  $15, while a bit pricey, does reflect the fact that you're buying a whole square metre's worth and it was carted halfway across the galaxy to get there.  Typical Earth seed packets actually involve even more processing (entire crops are grown entirely to go to seed) but far less distribution, and are only ~$1.50 for common cultivars per square metre.

Frankly, they could even be entirely *free* and it would still be balanced, since the extra step required in acquiring them from traders or salvaged pods is more than enough to serve to justify the raison d'ĂȘtre of the mod in the first place -- it nerfs the ability to plant all crops from the very beginning of the game, and instead requires you to "unlock" them all.

Adalah217

Quote from: JT on August 18, 2016, 12:40:32 PM
Frankly, they could even be entirely *free* and it would still be balanced, since the extra step required in acquiring them from traders or salvaged pods is more than enough to serve to justify the raison d'ĂȘtre of the mod in the first place -- it nerfs the ability to plant all crops from the very beginning of the game, and instead requires you to "unlock" them all.

Huh. That totally makes sense. I mean, I still enjoy the prices being so high so I don't unlock all the seeds right away upon the first seed trader I see though.

I'll never get over the one time my colony was running low on food on a desert map (with the beta of this mod). I had finally begun to have a decent farm size on a lone patch of dirt outside my colony, and a blight took a sizable portion of the crops. I had yet to store away extra seeds because I was trying to expand the farm as fast as possible. This led to starvation as I couldn't plant anything more.

Blights are a nuisance in vanilla, but something you must prepare for in this mod. If you don't set aside seeds for a bad day, someone will have to feed the colony for a day.

notfood

I carried over the prices from the A13 made by Dismar. Which were between 50 to 150 for most, with a few exceptions that jumped to 500.

It never seemed excessive considering you only need to buy it once. I'll considering halving it depending on the feedback.

gillsminnow

You don't buy it once though.

Silver Leaf seed at 650 Silver. The Silver Leaf seed yields approx 16 silver leaves. It's 4 leaves to turn into one piece of silver, meaning each plant only generates 4 silver. Leaving you 646 silver out of pocket with three sets of work time thrown in (sowing, harvesting and smelting). It's not self sustaining either.

The base chance of it yielding another seed is 15% (needs to be above 50% to be anywhere near self sustaining) and the chance of a second seed dropping is a further 15%. So you could spend 650 on a silver leaf seed and only have a 15% chance of getting another at the end of all that work.

notfood

I put some insane values for the metals. What'd be good numbers? I didn't like how low you put them in the spread sheet when it's offering a huge renewable source of metals.

gillsminnow

That's fair enough, it doesn't work out to be insane though because of the chances of getting a seed from the harvest.

I've gone through and put all the core and vegetable garden info in the appropriate files if you want me to upload them (this is the first time I've altered a mod, this mod interested me enough to have a play around).

I think I've set silver for example to be $4 a seed and a 40% chance of generating a seed on harvest.

So you buy 10 seeds for $40, generate $40 back for the three sets of work (sowing, harvesting and smelting). And based on percentages you'd get an extra 4 seeds back ($16) that you'd have to sow, harvest and smelt again to get that extra. So for purchasing the seeds you get a reward of $16 profit for 6 steps of work process which I think is fair.

Also on a sidenote, notfood. Would you have any idea how to change the bulk/weight of the item? I downloaded Combat Realism to play which has a customisable inventory/loadout/backpack feature (which I'm in love with, allows you to get colonists to carry meals around with them and not have to return during mining to pick some up). And all the seeds weigh 1kg each which is probably a default value for generic items.

Etherdreamer

The autobalancing could be done, taking how fast the plant grows, yield, how temp range, nutrition and utility (like if the plant can be used as cloth with some little "nutrition" example marihuana that give chemical joy and hemp cloth).

Mentol

Is it possible to sow with raw foods? like sowing potatoes with raw potatoes.

I am going to make lighter version sowing with the plants' raw foods, but it is hard to code because I am kinda noob at coding..

notfood

The work giver only cares about the blueprintDef field. It doesn't have to be a seeddef. They are there to automatically add themselves to blueprintDef. You could put mechanisms or even dead bodies and they will be used.

set the blueprintDef to PlantPotato of the PlantPotato def.

Remove the potatoseed def to avoid your changes being overwritten.

Your pawns will use potatos to plant potatos.

About the autogeneration of market value. I can do it that way. Here are the variables, can you come with an interesting formula?
plant.harvestedThing.BaseMarketValue
plant.harvestedThing.IsIngestible (boolean)
plant.harvestYield (count of things)
plant.growDays (0 to many days)
plant.fertilityFactorGrowthRate (0 to 1)
plant.sowMinSkill (0 to 20)
plant.growOptimalGlow (0 to 1)

Those are the most relevant variables. There are some more.

Muramas

The original seedplease dev was talking about the possibility of changing the genetics of seeds.

Do you think that in the future it would be possible to improve the seeds by...
-increase crop growth
-cold resistant
-increase harvesting yeald
-etc