[A16] MarsX v3.0.2 - Musky Edition

Started by Dubwise, September 11, 2016, 09:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubwise

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on September 29, 2016, 03:30:01 PM
Quote from: dubwise56 on September 29, 2016, 02:15:27 PMI did actually plan on making a foundry to smelt metals so when i do that i could revert the electric smelter back to default then other mods which modify it will work again.

That sounds ideal, would you separate research for those two? Or just have separate benches?

Is there mining/smelting/production of the other resources as well? I know you don't really smelt aluminum from aluminum ore, but it would be a nice gameplay feature. Which speaking of aluminum (+ the other resource which I can't seem to remember while typing, lol) is there any reason to use or save those at any point? If not, is there something planned for that purpose?

I'm going to add a process for turning bauxite into aluminium and for creating polymers from the atmosphere, so wind turbines are replaced with big vents that compress atmosphere into tanks and then machines process it into the separate gasses to store into more tanks, which you can then use for O2 and H2O and for making rocket fuel, plastics, that kinda stuff

Hydromancerx

It would be kinda cool if this was made for water biomes where you make underwater colonies that need air and then you wear underwater suits to breathe. Pump out water and so on.

Dubwise

Quote from: Hydromancerx on September 29, 2016, 04:48:10 PM
It would be kinda cool if this was made for water biomes where you make underwater colonies that need air and then you wear underwater suits to breathe. Pump out water and so on.

So you hacked my VS projects folder then

chappelkebabistan

Quote from: dubwise56 on September 29, 2016, 04:51:04 PM
Quote from: Hydromancerx on September 29, 2016, 04:48:10 PM

So you hacked my VS projects folder then

I was thinking the same, a la seaquest if anyone remembers that crappy show.

I sorted it out

I added the following xml text into vegetables gardens smelting recipes, from your mars recipe. It can be found in *Mods\Vegetable Garden\Defs\RecipeDefs\Recipes_smelt.xml

<RecipeDef>
    <defName>SmeltSteelFromIron</defName>
    <label>smelt steel from iron</label>
    <description>Use heat to smelt steel from iron and carbon.</description>
    <jobString>Smelting steel from iron.</jobString>
    <workAmount>1600</workAmount>
    <workSpeedStat>SmeltingSpeed</workSpeedStat>
    <effectWorking>Smelt</effectWorking>
    <soundWorking>Recipe_Smelt</soundWorking>
    <ingredients>
      <li>
        <filter>
          <thingDefs>
            <li>Iron</li>
          </thingDefs>
        </filter>
        <count>10</count>
      </li>
    </ingredients>
    <!-- Switched to standard products so we can do "do until you have X"
    <specialProducts>
      <li>Smelted</li>
    </specialProducts>-->
    <products>
      <Steel>10</Steel>
    </products>
    <fixedIngredientFilter>
      <thingDefs>
        <li>Iron</li>
      </thingDefs>
    </fixedIngredientFilter>
  </RecipeDef>

Zentor

dubwise, not everyone plays RimWorld for the same reasons as you. Restricting everything you dont like will mean quite a few less people will play your mod. Leaving it open will allow them to play the game the way they want.

Dubwise

Quote from: Zentor on September 29, 2016, 07:02:42 PM
dubwise, not everyone plays RimWorld for the same reasons as you. Restricting everything you dont like will mean quite a few less people will play your mod. Leaving it open will allow them to play the game the way they want.

Yes indeed that would have to be considered if the goal was to get as many subs as possible but its actually better for me if fewer people play my mod, and that those who do, play because they like my spin on the idea. I'm not making my mod public to get the most hits or get featured in an article, and I'm not making it to "fix" things in Rimworld as quality of life improvements or anything like that. I'm making what I want to make, for practice, to learn a new programming language, and to get new ideas I can take back to other projects, and most importantly for fun.

If someone doesn't like a certain aspect of my mod then i'm quite happy to listen to ideas, most of the time there's already a solution planned and it's just a matter of time to code it in, but I still fully reserve the right to make my mod as annoying and as hard as i want  ;D

And thanks for bringing this up because i find it interesting wondering about exactly what someones motivation is for making a mod, so i'm just letting everyone know how i feel about it  :)

yavorh

Been playing the mod all day yesterday - I gotta say it has re-invigorated my desire to play RimWorld as I feel that now if you wanna play pure basebuilder there's a purpose to that - AND the game has a great balance between helping you grow and challenging you. What is sort of worrisome though, is seeing as 3 new people arrive every 30 sols, so 2 seasons or so... It could start getting very crowded very fast and a bit tough to keep up with rooms for them all, but I'll deal with that when and if it comes.

By the way, I saw that the comms console was still place-able in the Mars Colony scenario - NASA greeted me warily :D. Yet I couldn't really do anything with it... maybe for the future this can be used to request or stop the flow of colonists and/or supplies - after all at some point a colony is meant to be self sustaining and turn a 'profit'... not keep NASA spending money to send more drills that we won't be using :D.

(A way to maybe do this would be to use the already implemented in the game 'request caravan' feature. Perhaps changing the currency of request from silver to something else. Then the game naturally gives you an option of 'what caravan' you want. It may be possible to substitute the 4 or 5 options that are there for "Food supply", "Tool Supply", "Material Supply", "Crew request" instead... Sooo maybe NASA sends you only 2 batches of new crew and 2 batches of new supplies and from then on you have to pay for them. Being honest I had a pretty well going colony at exactly that point and I was mostly using the things they sent to farm components and aluminium since it's faster)

Canute

I agree to dubwise56,
don't see this mod as a mod you can just add to your favoured mod list and play Rimworld.
You should more think this is Marsworld, a special mod scenario plays on the rimworld engine.
Any other mod that change the gameplay of this mod/scenario is more or less like cheating ( :-) )!
Since the gameplay differ a bit, a mod can made it difficulter to play then easyer. At example when he add the O2/CO2 aspect to plant, Veg. Garden mod can overwrite this.
When he think wind turbines arn't effective on Mars and don't add  them, and you add a mod that add power generator, that change the gameplay.
Other mod's that don't change the gameplay like veinminer or other UI enhanced mod's are uncritical and he should look that they work well together with Mars.

SioxerNiki

Quote from: Canute on September 30, 2016, 04:20:39 AM
I agree to dubwise56,
don't see this mod as a mod you can just add to your favoured mod list and play Rimworld.
You should more think this is Marsworld, a special mod scenario plays on the rimworld engine.
Any other mod that change the gameplay of this mod/scenario is more or less like cheating ( :-) )!
Since the gameplay differ a bit, a mod can made it difficulter to play then easyer. At example when he add the O2/CO2 aspect to plant, Veg. Garden mod can overwrite this.
When he think wind turbines arn't effective on Mars and don't add  them, and you add a mod that add power generator, that change the gameplay.
Other mod's that don't change the gameplay like veinminer or other UI enhanced mod's are uncritical and he should look that they work well together with Mars.
At first the focus needs to be on making this mod work. The thing is mod compatibility is going to be very hard to manage just because of the sheer amount of stuff that is being changed in Mars so in the end when this is done you shouldn't expect any mod that is not specifically designed to be an "Expansion" to Mars.

Dubwise

Quote from: yavorh on September 30, 2016, 03:44:36 AM
By the way, I saw that the comms console was still place-able in the Mars Colony scenario - NASA greeted me warily :D. Yet I couldn't really do anything with it...

That was actually added to fix prepare carefully, and someone already complained that the colonists don't arrive fast enough and wanted 12 at a time, what i'm going to do is use the comms console to request what supplies you want the chinese to send and what the next team of colonists should specialize in, like food science or engineering. Im also thinking about changing the travel time for the colonists based on the time of year to account for the orbits of mars and earth so it might take between a month or 6 months, a month in rimworld being like 5 days or something. So you will get bursts of colonists arriving then nothing for a long time. Also you can already use the MAV to send colonists home if they are useless or half dead and dying and once i add rocket fuel production and mission funding levels it will be important to fuel them up and send them back to earth.

yavorh

Quote from: dubwise56 on September 30, 2016, 10:17:22 AM
Quote from: yavorh on September 30, 2016, 03:44:36 AM
By the way, I saw that the comms console was still place-able in the Mars Colony scenario - NASA greeted me warily :D. Yet I couldn't really do anything with it...

That was actually added to fix prepare carefully, and someone already complained that the colonists don't arrive fast enough and wanted 12 at a time, what i'm going to do is use the comms console to request what supplies you want the chinese to send and what the next team of colonists should specialize in, like food science or engineering. Im also thinking about changing the travel time for the colonists based on the time of year to account for the orbits of mars and earth so it might take between a month or 6 months, a month in rimworld being like 5 days or something. So you will get bursts of colonists arriving then nothing for a long time. Also you can already use the MAV to send colonists home if they are useless or half dead and dying and once i add rocket fuel production and mission funding levels it will be important to fuel them up and send them back to earth.

That sounds absolutely awesome!

Also I encountered something odd while I was playing just now. Not sure if you have events that destroy supply drops, but what happened was this:

I had about 5 sols left to a supply drop last time I checked, wasn't keeping tight track of it. I know I had gotten a "Fatal accident" event stating one of the next crews has lost a member - looking at the crews preparing and arriving I did not see less people being mentioned there. However at some later point I decided to check how much time there is to the supply drop and saw that the count down was gone! There was the one for preparing it, but not the one which was arriving in a few days. I am playing on the largest map size with a mountainous terrain, have not had any issues with the previous drops landing into mountains or not appearing (in fact some even landed sort of close), so not sure what caused this to happen. I certainly did not get an event envelope to the right.

By the way, I am not sure how you will handle Fitness, but is there any way to make one of the 'staying in shape' activities to be "Jogging outside" to make a passive way to deal with Cabin Fever debuff?... Otherwise I'll just make their gym be 5kms away from the hab so they have to keep walking there and enjoying the barren scenery :D.

Dubwise

Quote from: yavorh on September 30, 2016, 10:46:28 AM
Also I encountered something odd while I was playing just now. Not sure if you have events that destroy supply drops, but what happened was this:

The chinese supply ship can blow up but should throw a yellow letter when it does, and if it lands then you will get a blue letter. Maybe you dismissed it.

Quote from: yavorh on September 30, 2016, 10:46:28 AM
By the way, I am not sure how you will handle Fitness, but is there any way to make one of the 'staying in shape' activities to be "Jogging outside"

For starters they will need to use running machines, and maybe the same physical activities that cause increased O2 usage, jogging around in huge pressurized EVA suits isn't possible and cabin fever is easy to fix if you just shove someone in a suit and take them outside for a second every few days. That's a lot easier in the next patch and i moved fitness from being a skill to a need along with O2, bowel movements and hygiene.

top_hat_tomato

Real nice mod, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Though I've found some minor bugs that could make your mod just a bit better.

When a colonist ship lands, they have no 'oxygen saturation' or the need for a lack of CO2. Because of this, they don't ever need a space suit if the temperature is within reasonable bounds. I also can't happen to add the oxygen saturation hediff because they'll immediately die because it sets it to 0 automatically.

Dubwise

Quote from: top_hat_tomato on October 01, 2016, 06:12:16 PM
Real nice mod, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Though I've found some minor bugs that could make your mod just a bit better.

When a colonist ship lands, they have no 'oxygen saturation' or the need for a lack of CO2. Because of this, they don't ever need a space suit if the temperature is within reasonable bounds. I also can't happen to add the oxygen saturation hediff because they'll immediately die because it sets it to 0 automatically.

The o2 was messy because i inverted the severity but in the next patch i have changed o2 to a need instead

yavorh

Quote from: dubwise56 on October 01, 2016, 06:57:09 PM
Quote from: top_hat_tomato on October 01, 2016, 06:12:16 PM

The o2 was messy because i inverted the severity but in the next patch i have changed o2 to a need instead
Hey, considering the amount of indepth thought you've put into this mod (And it shows!), you probably have already seen this or know this, but!

I was just watching Elon Musk's manifesto on colonizing Mars and I thought you may use it as a valuable resource. One key thing that you could probably use to make the mod similar to how it may work in real life is the fuel production he mentions from 14:30 or so onward - about methane being the main logical fuel, production, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10gECHeMSds

Hope it helps and I can't wait for the next update!