[1.4] Call of Cthulhu - Rim of Madness Expansion Pack (10/21/2022)

Started by jecrell, September 14, 2016, 08:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KTVSUN

Hello and thank you for a great mod, being a fan of lovecraft i cant tell you how nicely surprised i was to see such an addition to my favorite game.

I started a new colony with your mod for the first time. I play on extreme permadeath and thus am not willing to do wierd experiments for nothing. I read that some meats have negative effects.

So my question is can i eat some of the meats or discard them all?

(for some reason your storyteller insists on dropping tons of meat on me through cargos.)

edit: oooh boy the creatures are considered animals and pass through the traps without activating them unless they are actively hunting a pawn. Just lost my grower to this. Building a wall now, will see if they try to go through it. I m suffering but i love it. it s refreshing =p

Thank you!

Canute

Yes you can eat the meal, you need to made Strange meal out of them.
If you eat one you are geting sanity lost debuff, it is basicly the same like toxic effect.
The sanity lost effect give nice bonus for crafting, but improve the pain. So long you don't let them eat to much they will work harder.

KTVSUN

Quote from: Canute on October 15, 2016, 02:27:47 AM
Yes you can eat the meal, you need to made Strange meal out of them.
If you eat one you are geting sanity lost debuff, it is basicly the same like toxic effect.
The sanity lost effect give nice bonus for crafting, but improve the pain. So long you don't let them eat to much they will work harder.

Thanks a lot

KTVSUN

It s been a few hours now. The start was intense, raids in rapid succession, like one ends and another starts, toxic fallout, flu etc.

But now it s been a looooong time without anything. Is it normal? I may have misunderstood, i thought this storyteller was intense in terms of events.

Not a critic, id just like to know.

Edit. i m on day 70 my last raid was on day 53 and before that 26. I lost one guy and refused 2 which were bad and still only have 5. Not much is happening. Not even a single trade ship. I get caravans though. And these wandering monsters, the one who behave like mobs.

Edit 2. Day 90. Screenshot of the history here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10144/boring.jpg

I checked the xml for the storyteller and it looks good. My guess is one of my mod messes with the stroyteller. Maybe hospitality, i have gotten tons of visitors.

Thanks!

K

Canute

Yep, i notice too.
Many bad things happen at a short time, then you got a long time to recover and build nessesary things.
Hint, try to get someone who can move fast. This allow you to kite most of the monster around your people with guns.
But beware when someone start to laughing (just text), you will see :-)

KTVSUN

Quote from: Canute on October 15, 2016, 09:11:23 AM
Yep, i notice too.
Many bad things happen at a short time, then you got a long time to recover and build nessesary things.
Hint, try to get someone who can move fast. This allow you to kite most of the monster around your people with guns.
But beware when someone start to laughing (just text), you will see :-)

Thing is the one random monster coming to the map once in  a while was a threat at start. It isnt anymore. my issue is nothing happens. i feel like playing base building

jecrell

Quote from: KTVSUN on October 15, 2016, 05:43:38 AM
It s been a few hours now. The start was intense, raids in rapid succession, like one ends and another starts, toxic fallout, flu etc.

But now it s been a looooong time without anything. Is it normal? I may have misunderstood, i thought this storyteller was intense in terms of events.

Not a critic, id just like to know.

Edit. i m on day 70 my last raid was on day 53 and before that 26. I lost one guy and refused 2 which were bad and still only have 5. Not much is happening. Not even a single trade ship. I get caravans though. And these wandering monsters, the one who behave like mobs.

Edit 2. Day 90. Screenshot of the history here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10144/boring.jpg

I checked the xml for the storyteller and it looks good. My guess is one of my mod messes with the stroyteller. Maybe hospitality, i have gotten tons of visitors.

Thanks!

K

Definitely noted. I've read this several times and I honestly don't have a clue. Reason being: I need to heavily research the C# code, write a thorough plan of how to fix the storyteller for long-term games, write a new type of storyteller using C# code, and then have people playtest it for upwards of 10+ hours (and then fix - and test again -- oh my). I honestly have no idea how Tynan playtested all the different difficulties!

But yes, thank you for the feedback. I need whatever brutal and honest feedback I can get.

Does Cassandra Classic also suffer from an extreme dropoff at higher levels?
...Psst. Still there? If you'd like to support
me and my works, do check out my Patreon.
Someday, I could work for RimWorld full time!

https://www.patreon.com/jecrell

jecrell

Quote from: KTVSUN on October 14, 2016, 08:25:59 PM
Hello and thank you for a great mod, being a fan of lovecraft i cant tell you how nicely surprised i was to see such an addition to my favorite game.

I started a new colony with your mod for the first time. I play on extreme permadeath and thus am not willing to do wierd experiments for nothing. I read that some meats have negative effects.

So my question is can i eat some of the meats or discard them all?

(for some reason your storyteller insists on dropping tons of meat on me through cargos.)

edit: oooh boy the creatures are considered animals and pass through the traps without activating them unless they are actively hunting a pawn. Just lost my grower to this. Building a wall now, will see if they try to go through it. I m suffering but i love it. it s refreshing =p

Thank you!

This information might help. Did you know strange meat can be burned at a campfire if you want to get rid of it? Currently, there is no benefit to insanity (beyond some small buffs for minor insanity) until the cultist pack comes out. Also, be careful if your colonists feed strange meat to your animals. When doing obedience training, your colonists will LOVE to give strange meat to your pets.

KTVSUN

First thank you for your quick reply.

I was about to go to bed and read ur post so i relaunched the game to make another screenshot.

I switched to cassandra intense at around day 75. And have been disapointed.

iunderstand there is an inherent issue with that kind of game. We start in a very bad situation, unless we use some mods to optimize our starting pawns. And the more we progress, the better we get, very fast, almost exponentially. This makes the start of the game hard and the more we progress the easier it gets.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10144/bedtime.jpg

But in this case this isnt the issue. I got hit hard at start, double raids the same day, toxic fallout, flu, etc. Then nothing. For several hours. Sure, a few storm and a manhunter pack but nothing to compare with what hit me at start. I was expecting to stay on the same pace. It felt like base building.

I dont know what s wrong i should have had sappers, raiders, infestation, illness etc.

I suspect there is a bad interaction somewhere with another mod or faction. Note that i always play in dev mode and havent noticed any issue related to spawning raids. I ve gotten tons of visitors through hospitality though. Maybe that s the problem, maybe i get visitors instead of negative events. I dont know.

Bed time, thank you =)

K

Nimrod

Quote from: Canute on October 14, 2016, 08:05:04 AM
I don't need another weapon mod, the game got allready enough weapons IMO.
I just wanted the faction and the weapons are just a bonus. I used the revolver for my bad equiped tribes and wanted to give the feedback.

I have to say I just saw the revolver in action, and yes, it behaves very badly. A 6 shot burst with long intervals between each shot is just not very good gameplay wise. Maybe you want to have a look at that one again.
You could make it single action like the pistol only with a little more damage and little longer cooldown between shots. :)

(not a problem for me, I just changed it myself though ;P )

Canute

QuoteI honestly have no idea how Tynan playtested all the different difficulties!
Isn't the difficulty just a modifier for the raid strenght ? Then he only need to test the 100% (rough).

Maybe an idea for an overhaul of your storyteller.
Do you know the Waver survival Storyteller (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10976.msg250948#msg250948) ?
Maybe you use that, every x days comes a fixed chuthulu raid.
And between the raids still smaller accidents can happen, and even smaller raids.

jecrell

jecrell

Update.

Neutral Factions V1.5.
Revolver has been modified (making it cool and using 6 rounds properly would take a couple days of coding -- can't afford the time atm) to make it more in line with a pistol in usage.
Overhauled some of the faction for the coastal fishing village and added a little more variety.

Cults WIP Notes:
I have created an entire deity system and blood magic system for the game. The deity system keeps track of deity names, descriptions, symbols, and tiered sacrifice-based spells. Thanks to my team, we've drawn up almost 2 dozen 'effects' that might occur during your sacrifice. There is the ideal result, which players can select, as well as plenty of unexpected consequences to provide interesting storytelling (the sacrifice may have failed, but at least Joe has a new tentacle arm growing out of his back to play with).

ReconCrow

Most raids being replaced by a monster which their meat is not very worthy compare to humanoid raid loot.
You should let the monster have 1 extra weapon slot per 2 tentacles so the loot maybe worthy.
Also, let those monster wear fedora + jacket and smoke cigarette like gentlemen.

Canute

Quote from: ReconCrow on October 17, 2016, 03:41:50 AM
Most raids being replaced by a monster which their meat is not very worthy compare to humanoid raid loot.
Let your pawn cook strange simple meals (around 10 silver) out of it.