[A15] CK - Animal & Plant Pack v1.3.1 (11/04/16)

Started by Coercion, September 19, 2016, 07:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coercion

Quote from: kcirdor on October 29, 2016, 03:00:24 AM
The reseeding is so fast its difficult to put down pathways.

Is this a new issue with v1.3?

The jungle is supposed to be difficult to navigate and build in and should be more challenging then the other biomes in that regard. Creating a few paths should not be too big of an issue, but clearing out big areas may be. We have looked into this in the past, but can look into it again.

kcirdor

kaptain_kavern

Thanks for the feedback. It is something we discussed and a thing we both believe is important.

It is not easy to balance something that it is intended from start as a core "idea". I mean we really want the forest to regrow fast and to be a challenge but we also want it to playable. So where to put a limit? (That's why your feedbacks are precious)

Adding to that, the fact that I don't know exactly the precise effect of all the code used. I mean for most of it, yes. But there is no dictionary with all defs explained, I'm still experimenting/learning.

There is nothing like one def or "piece of code" that simply set "plants_vivacity = X", it's the conjuncted effect of several game-mechanics that make the end result. I'm pretty sure the "seedEmit per day" tag weight a lot in the balance per instance, but though, some like "maxCommonality" I'm not 100% sure of the real effect.

Some solutions :
- Put floor where you don't want forest to regrow
- Set a growing zone
- Restrict some hungry animals
- Or using Colony Manager mod : set a zone with order to auto cut trees or even all vegetations

Hydromancerx

Dose this remove the spawning of animals in other biomes besides jungle?

res34

So while I was busy harvesting taro root, I decided to look up some Scientific America articles related to the Cryptozoologicon when I noticed one on tapirs. Turns out they're a lot more dangerous than you'd think, especially (and appropriately) when they're with their young. I can't recall how dangerous they are in this mod (I don't recall any attacking back when hunting them, though they might have died too quickly), but it turns out in real life they can bite clean through a human arm.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/tapir-attacks-past-present-but-hopefully-not-future/

Perhaps if they're not currently set to become aggressive when hunted, would it be feasible to edit them so that they do so in the future?

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: Hydromancerx on October 30, 2016, 04:39:21 PM
Dose this remove the spawning of animals in other biomes besides jungle?
Nope. The only biome this mod overwrite for now is the tropical forest. In other biomes wild animals should remain vanilla. But I confess I haven't do any tests regarding this but there is absolutely no code I can think of that should impact other biomes.

@res34 : I don't recall how the code is set right now, but yes there is XML tag for "chance of going man hunter on tame attempt" and/or on hunt/damage. We will look into this. Thx for "national geographic" quarter ;-)

Tammabanana

Reporting possible mod conflict, CK v1.3 and EdB Prepare Carefully:

EdB's "Animals" tab goes completely black for me. Only the "Animals" tab does this - the rest function correctly. I'm running in dev mode and it's not spawning any debug errors, just... ending the "add resources" stage with an empty space. You can click "back" to go to the previous step (editing people), but the other resource tabs disappear too.

Just tested it with only those two mods active, and it still happened; it doesn't matter which loads first. Disabling CK restores EdB's "Animals" tab functionality.

Not really game-breaking, since you can add animals in the scenario step anyway, but puzzling.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

u1qtj

This is also happening to my current arrangement of EDB Prepare Carefully and the current version of the Animal/Plant Pack.

kaptain_kavern

Hi

Thank you both for the information. As I don't use edb-PC at all I wasn't aware of it. This also means I have no clues on what is going on. I will download it and look at the problem.

In the mean time, like Tammabanana have pointed out, you can use scenario as solution.

skullywag

Can anyone having the issue make it happen and then quit the game and post their output.log file here, would help with diagnosis, just because you see nothing on the screen doesnt mean the log doesnt have valuable info in it.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Draegon

I noticed that trees are not spawning much after a fire, I have a rather large area of ONLY small plants (which looks neat but still figured you should know).

Coercion

Quote from: Draegon on November 02, 2016, 10:30:26 AM
I noticed that trees are not spawning much after a fire, I have a rather large area of ONLY small plants (which looks neat but still figured you should know).

screenshot by chance?

Tammabanana

Note to self, outputlog is important. Here's mine. EdB and CK only, clicked the Five Tribes scenario, clicked a few times in the colonists configuration just in case that mattered, didn't add any resources in those tabs - just clicked the "Animal" tab, got the black, clicked "Start", saved, quit.

I had a fire in my game fairly recently; I'll watch for how it grows back.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Coercion

Quote from: Tammabanana on October 31, 2016, 09:48:58 AM
Reporting possible mod conflict, CK v1.3 and EdB Prepare Carefully:

EdB's "Animals" tab goes completely black for me. Only the "Animals" tab does this - the rest function correctly. I'm running in dev mode and it's not spawning any debug errors, just... ending the "add resources" stage with an empty space. You can click "back" to go to the previous step (editing people), but the other resource tabs disappear too.

Just tested it with only those two mods active, and it still happened; it doesn't matter which loads first. Disabling CK restores EdB's "Animals" tab functionality.

Not really game-breaking, since you can add animals in the scenario step anyway, but puzzling.

The issue has been identified and will be fixed in the next release.

Thanks for pointing this out.

kaptain_kavern

Hi all.

Indeed I have pinpoint the problem.
As always it was my fault, there was some code left from the toucan, but the texture is not done yet (and I already erased the placeholder texture), so PC wasn't able to display toucans and throw red errors.

On another note, regarding the feedbacks we got about plants regrowing too quickly; we were discussing solutions with Coercion (without completely remove this intended behaviour). We may have find something  ;) 

What about if colonists could trample plants in order to create a layer of dead vegetation preventing regrowing?
Code wise it could be as simple as a resource-free floor (only take times) where plants couldn't regrow; this floor would only be allowed on soil terrain. 

Here is a screenshot for illustrating purpose (this is not in the mod yet)

click to zoom

Coercion
also proposed it could be something similar but with crop zone instead of flooring.

I really would like to have more insights/opinions on this, please  ;D