Is there anything that allows you to switch mod lists on the fly?

Started by gillsminnow, October 06, 2016, 08:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gillsminnow

So I have a couple of save games, vanilla and modded. I'd like to be able to switch between a couple of pre-configured mod lists or do this far easier than currently available. Is there any kinda mod list configuration software or anything like that available to make life easier? i.e. being able to tick a checkbox, sort alphabetically and save a couple of different lists?

krisbow

Top idea.

I too am in the same boat. There's a few of us that do a weekly challenge on vanilla but I have a couple of saves that I am deep into and have to turn on my mods for each one and getting them back in the right order is a bit of a pain.

SpaceDorf

The only way at the moment is to do it with windows.

Look for your Ludeon Folder in your Profile ( if you have windows )
Then make a copy of the config folder. The Mod-List is in there.
You could copy the Mod-List alone, but I find it easier to just copy the whole folder and name
it after the savegame it is used for.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Serenity

I also noticed that the mod list is in the save game. In theory, wouldn't it be possible to read and load the mods from a save game? Not every time the game is loaded, but with a button maybe. I don't mean this a mod idea. Just curious.

skullywag

Instances would be a VERY cool addition. Would love this to be in core. Ill suggest it in the modders slack and see if we cant get something workable built in the meantime.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

gillsminnow

Oh skully you absolute beast!

Cheers SpaceDorf, didn't know you could do that!

kaptain_kavern

Hi gillsminnow ;)

Also look in the readme file in the main rimworld folder.
There are explanations on how to use multiple "savedata" folder in order to have several version of rimworld using differents save and config locations

gillsminnow

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on October 06, 2016, 01:24:31 PM
Hi gillsminnow ;)

Also look in the readme file in the main rimworld folder.
There are explanations on how to use multiple "savedata" folder in order to have several version of rimworld using differents save and config locations

Cheers dude! Will that do it for config folders too or just save data folders?

If it's config folders too I could create two shortcuts for the game with for example

-configfolder=ConfigVanilla
-configfolder=ConfigModded

And then double clicking on each shortcut would open up a different instance of Rimworld? That's if I'm reading what you're saying and the Readme correctly? Although the Readme just lists save folders not config folders?

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

kaptain_kavern

Yes it works how you described and it store both save folders and config folders in the same place you input in the shortcut end arguments.

That's exactly how I kept at least 3 updated versions and even more outdated ones to play nice on the same computer/O.S.

Oops I should have cut those dates, no everyone can see how I have no life outside of the Rims :p

gillsminnow

Apologies for being annoying but following the readme and getting nowhere.

In the following folder: C:\Users\Kev\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\

I have the folders Rimworld and RimworldVanilla.

I have changed the configs accordingly for each of the folders (a full modlist for the Rimworld folder and no mods for the vanilla folder).

I made two shortcuts on the desktop and in the target box for the Vanilla shortcut reads:
QuoteC:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin.exe -savedatafolder=C:\Users\Kev\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorldVanilla\Saves

The modded target box reads:
QuoteC:\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin.exe -savedatafolder=C:\Users\Kev\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld\Saves

Upon opening each of the shortcuts it's like a brand new copy of Rimworld. It's also created a brand new folder here:
QuoteC:\Users\Kev\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon

kaptain_kavern

No problems.

Me I use just "-savedatafolder=SaveData" and the end of the shortcut, that way all my files (config, screenshots and saves) are handily located in the same folder as the Rimworld executable (.exe). But I use several copy/pasted Rimworld folders

Maybe you can create each shortcuts at the same location as the .exe, using the short path method (relative path) I talk about above. and then after, on your desktop make two "shortcuts to the previous shortcuts" and not the .exe . That way you may have both folders in your one Rimworld folder.
I'm sorry I have never used the absolute path method (with the complete path starting with c:/)

edit: rereading the readme file I find this too :
QuoteBe sure the game is running with permission to modify the folder. It may not work properly if, for example, you run the game under default permissions on its own install folder.
Can it be the case with steam version? (I don't use steam for myself so I don't know more)

Jaxxa

I did make a Mod manager Program, although it has not been designed to see steam mods yet, it mainly works as a GUI for creating -savedatafolder parameters. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7188.0

Try adding the launch parameters directly into into steam, not a new shortcut.

Also The Space in the "Ludeon Studios" folder is probably giving you issues, try putting the path in Quotes / Double quotes. I assume the program is seeing the Space as the end of the path, it is not a valid path and then defaulting to the original path. Or use a path without a space in it e.g. C:\RimworldSaves

gillsminnow

Quote from: Jaxxa on October 06, 2016, 06:07:09 PM
I did make a Mod manager Program, although it has not been designed to see steam mods yet, it mainly works as a GUI for creating -savedatafolder parameters. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7188.0

Try adding the launch parameters directly into into steam, not a new shortcut.

Also The Space in the "Ludeon Studios" folder is probably giving you issues, try putting the path in Quotes / Double quotes. I assume the program is seeing the Space as the end of the path, it is not a valid path and then defaulting to the original path. Or use a path without a space in it e.g. C:\RimworldSaves

Cheers Jaxxa I'll give that a go tomorrow! Thank you.

RemingtonRyder

Btw, if you want to make multiple desktop shortcuts for different RimWorld save folders using the Steam version, another approach is to try this:

Make a shortcut to your Steam executable (steam.exe)

Customise the shortcut's Target field, for example:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 294100 -savedatafolder="C:\Users\JohnnyRico\Saved Games\RimWorld A15 Starship Troopers"

Repeat as needed for other save folders.

If Steam is already running, it won't run it again, but it may take a few seconds to launch versus using the "steam rungameid 294100" shortcut.

Note that, as you might expect, Steam doesn't save your custom RimWorld save folders to the cloud (if you have that turned on).