A16 Hype

Started by O Negative, November 02, 2016, 11:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barley

I wonder if we'll be able to intercept incoming pirate raids, or in turn have our convoys raided. Not that intercepting raids somewhere other than at your base with all the turrets is that tactically advantageous.

I also love the idea that a really bad event can be countered by just leaving.
An infestation has manifested in your base!
Pirates have come to siege your base!

Nope! Screw it! I'm leaving now. Cmon, everyone, we're going to visit our favorite outlander town! Maybe come back in a week to see if the pirates beat the bugs or vice versa.

CodeRen

I want to attack settlements and kidnap people. Also, I want tynan to add pregnancy and childbirth lol

Alenerel

I want Tynan to carry my baby.

mumblemumble

Quote from: Alenerel on November 12, 2016, 10:58:45 PM
I want Tynan to carry my baby.
If babies are haulable, this is very possible
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Mr.Cross

Quote from: Barley on November 12, 2016, 08:49:22 PM
-quote-
I do believe this song match's that statement perfectly.... Note that it is explicit language
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FjWe31S_0g

Quote from: mumblemumble on November 12, 2016, 11:18:57 PM
-Quote's galore!-

I don't think that's quite what they meant XD

Edit: Forgot to add the link!
Claims to know most things.

Jaridan

Quote from: CodeRen on November 12, 2016, 09:46:09 PM
I want to attack settlements and kidnap people. Also, I want tynan to add pregnancy and childbirth lol

Tynan already stated that's not going to happen for a couple of reasons.

CodeRen

Quote from: Jaridan on November 13, 2016, 02:32:33 PM

Oh? Where? Show me proof because I have proof (:

Here he says its open game:

https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/01/progress-continues/ Here he says he hasnt added kids YET!

https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/794003347376377856 Here he says he doesnt know and he doesnt think that far into the future. <-- That was recently, like a few days ago.

Stop spreading disinformation.

carbon

Well, that twitter post does strongly suggest that children aren't going to happen for A16 since the development for A16 is happening Now, not "far" from now.

CodeRen

Quote from: carbon on November 13, 2016, 03:03:50 PM
Well, that twitter post does strongly suggest that children aren't going to happen for A16 since the development for A16 is happening Now, not "far" from now.

Yeah I guess we wouldnt know, only Tynan does, but what it does is strongly suggest kids in the future! I just brought both those links to stop people from shutting down others with no proof and lying about what Tynan said. Im sure it wont be in alpha 16 but eventually it should be. I dont want slave colonies with wanderers. Giving birth and raising, especially with maybe colonizing new colonies while traveling, will make you stay on the planet way longer to actually raise them! (:

Goldenpotatoes

Considering the game's current progression usually ends with people being in high-tier doom fortresses with pimped out colonists going against the endless slaughter of the apparently infinite raiders after just 4-7 in-game years, the concept of children to bolster colonist population is pretty damn silly, even more-so if you do some weird thing with speeding up the aging process of all creatures.

By the time a child would actually have productive usage in a colony (around 15+ years), the colony has either been burned to the ground, left the planet, or is currently running a massive stronghold ran by dozens of indoctrinated colonists in end-game gear. Hell, even the aging process for most decent livestock are stretching the limits of viability.

In short, unless some massive overhaul is done on this game's progression and threat scaling, children aren't going to be a vanilla feature.

Jaridan

Quote from: CodeRen on November 13, 2016, 02:36:23 PM

https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/01/progress-continues/ Here he says he hasnt added kids YET!

https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/794003347376377856 Here he says he doesnt know and he doesnt think that far into the future. <-- That was recently, like a few days ago.

I've read it on reddit, with respective links showing quotes to a certain extent from Tynan and why they are probably not going to happen. No i can't give you a link because i don't have 20hrs to search all of r/Rimworld.

Given how Rimworld works, the most obvious problem would be all the horrible things you could do with them (anyone needs a new armchair?). Also, if he wanted to implement it, he already could've.

The whole pregnancy and maturation systems are in place, take on interests from parents and voila + Can't do shit for x days till it's a teenager. And you got your child(s).

CodeRen

Quote from: Jaridan on November 13, 2016, 06:11:19 PM
Quote from: CodeRen on November 13, 2016, 02:36:23 PM

I've read it on reddit, with respective links showing quotes to a certain extent from Tynan and why they are probably not going to happen. No i can't give you a link because i don't have 20hrs to search all of r/Rimworld.

Given how Rimworld works, the most obvious problem would be all the horrible things you could do with them (anyone needs a new armchair?). Also, if he wanted to implement it, he already could've.

The whole pregnancy and maturation systems are in place, take on interests from parents and voila + Can't do shit for x days till it's a teenager. And you got your child(s).

When you can find it Ill believe you. He wouldnt say what I showed you and then say something else. Also, its a 2d game so it wouldnt be that serious, most people wont even know what is happening unless they are playing it and monitoring the health tab when a pawn is injured. DF, banished and a few others have had children die. Even the original prey.

This takes time so im sure he cant easily do this like you say he can. It'll be added hopefully in the future so we can repopulate and settle and stuff, and I see a lot of pawns in his new screenshot (I count 28) to support having large groups. If this update keeps you on the planet long term now, and you can indeed settle and make new colonies, then pregnancies/child birth would make sense since the only 3 ways to gather people right now is by brainwashing them or accepting wanderers or buying slaves. Thats boring and in a game about storytelling, raising a pawn from birth to death can tell an amazing story!

CodeRen

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on November 13, 2016, 05:57:48 PM
Considering the game's current progression usually ends with people being in high-tier doom fortresses with pimped out colonists going against the endless slaughter of the apparently infinite raiders after just 4-7 in-game years, the concept of children to bolster colonist population is pretty damn silly, even more-so if you do some weird thing with speeding up the aging process of all creatures.

By the time a child would actually have productive usage in a colony (around 15+ years), the colony has either been burned to the ground, left the planet, or is currently running a massive stronghold ran by dozens of indoctrinated colonists in end-game gear. Hell, even the aging process for most decent livestock are stretching the limits of viability.

In short, unless some massive overhaul is done on this game's progression and threat scaling, children aren't going to be a vanilla feature.

World traveling and settling in different locations would be what is needed to have long term colonies. So next update it would make more sense.

mumblemumble

I wouldn't say a child would need to be 15 to be useful at all...15 to be efficient in all tasks maybe, but I still think a 5 year old, with discipline could shoot, pick crops, haul small amounts, ect...
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Mr.Cross

CodeRen, You do know you can edit your post by clicking on the little wrench in the bottom right hand side of your post?

Can I just point out that children have been the topic of discussion for a while now. No need to go reopen those wounds, as the way I see it Tynan and Ison will add what they add. Can we leave it at that? (no need to get the mods angry :D)

Perhaps we could all talk about whether or not they are going to fix that door Skully seems sooooo... I don't know Obsessed about?
Claims to know most things.