A16 Hype

Started by O Negative, November 02, 2016, 11:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumblemumble

Quote from: Alenerel on November 14, 2016, 05:22:26 PM
Quote from: mumblemumble on November 14, 2016, 05:08:38 PM
I can't REALLY comment on the whole winter thing, considering I have a different world view...

What?
You would be left with:
1: more questions which you wouldn't want answers to.
2: a headache.

In  otherwords, I'm not answering.

I will say though, the world wide system groundworks look cool.

cant wait for a hard change log
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

JesterHell

Quote from: mumblemumble on November 14, 2016, 03:45:28 PM
I....just noticed..........

If you see the frozen planet image, and the non frozen planet, they look IDENTICAL in land masses.....

Ice age confirmed?

I'll just hope that it means the Dev's have introduced a "advanced" world generation like you can get with dwarf fortresses perfect world utility.

The ability to to either randomly generate a world or fine tune it to meet your preference seem like a great addition to me, I actually have an Australia map for DF I made using DF perfect world.

keylocke

btw, any news on conditional statements in scenario editor?

ie :
-like having the option to set a percentage chance to get conflicting traits like : get brawler or trigger-happy or careful shooter. (the character can have one of those traits)

carbon

Given that we now have planets, it would be cool if there were more interesting global climate conditions to reflect specific orbital dynamics.

Highly elliptical orbits was already mentioned.

Tidally locked planets could be interesting: one side of the planet is hotter than an extreme desert, the other side is completely ice sheet and all the villages/colonies exist in the twilight rim. A Rim2World if you will. :D

There could also be diverse periods of rotation: day to night and back in an hour or a season of day followed by a season of dark (with corresponding swings in temperature) could be exciting. I imagine we might need plants specifically bred for those types of planets to make outdoor farming viable.

EDIT: I should mention that I don't suppose this will be in A16 for complexity reasons, but it is a logical extension of the A16 work.

JesterHell

Quote from: carbon on November 15, 2016, 05:09:58 AM
Given that we now have planets, it would be cool if there were more interesting global climate conditions to reflect specific orbital dynamics.

Having the actual orbit of the planet and its moon(s) be simulated at least a little would be cool, I never really like the randomness of the eclipse event.

mumblemumble

Quote from: JesterHell on November 15, 2016, 05:16:16 AM
Quote from: carbon on November 15, 2016, 05:09:58 AM

Having the actual orbit of the planet and its moon(s) be simulated at least a little would be cool, I never really like the randomness of the eclipse event.
I disagree, mainly because it would be calculations done for...almost nothing.

Id rather the game be as lightweight as possible for as long as possible, and if calculations are done, make it for something big.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

JesterHell

Quote from: mumblemumble on November 15, 2016, 05:46:16 AM
Quote from: JesterHell on November 15, 2016, 05:16:16 AM
I disagree, mainly because it would be calculations done for...almost nothing.

To use the (flawed) GNS Theory I'm a stimulationist, I like simulation in my video games and that's why I like Arma more then Battlefield so I would personally like the entire star system to be at least partially simulated, your Comms could detect trader when they enter the system but you have to wait until they enter orbit before trading and full planetary whether simulation with weather systems moving across the planet.

I know its not going to happen because Tynan's not a fan of full simulation, hell the only reason I still think DF is better is because Toady is willing to simulate almost everything...

mumblemumble

it would go against tynans design philosophy so far, of working on things which give the most content for the LEAST work

Adding in a working planet system would be a lot of work for...how much content?... very little, if any.

I like simulation too, but whats the point simulating if its outside the realm of intractability?

-----

carbon

Personally, I was going for more the results of interesting orbital configurations, not necessarily simulating the mechanics themselves.

For instance, one doesn't need to build a universe simulation to set DayLength == 2h, but it would add a new element of challenge to the game.

JesterHell

I did say its not gonna happen.

The moon effects both tides and eclipses which the player does interact with, also one of the inspirations of Rimworld is Firefly and here is the firefly star system.

"The star system is a star cluster, of the likes of the triple star system Alpha Centauri. It consists of five main sequence stars, around which orbit an assortment of 7 protostars, 6 gas giants, three separate asteroid belts, 75 planets, and 149 moons.[1] Four of the main sequence stars orbit a central star."

I kind of like what many consider "needless" complication or pointless detail, it's kind like how I love Shadowruns crunch, does it need to be so crunchy? of course not but I think its a better overall system because of it.

carbon

Please add "width=800" to large image tags so they don't spill over.

Example:

via:
[img width=800]http://i.picresize.com/images/2013/02/06/BMhCv.jpg[/img]

jmababa

yea don't overspill or use another site to post your pics here say like photobucket which has IMG one for forums like this

TomatoWalrus

Oh my dear god!!! The travelling is going to happen :o
Murphys law:
If something can go wrong, it will go wrong.
RimWorld can be an ass sometimes

mumblemumble

Quote from: TomatoWalrus on November 15, 2016, 11:48:59 AM
We don't have HARD proof yet...we have...pretty FIRM suggestion, but no HARD proof... ..which I kinda want to kick tynan in the shin for doing that, I can't STAND such uncertainty... ..

but on the other hand, I doubt hes a jerk enough to suggest a wanted feature, but not actually do it.

So, not REALLY REALLY confirmed, but probably I think yes most likely confirmed.

-----

TomatoWalrus

Quote from: mumblemumble on November 15, 2016, 12:25:12 PM
Quote from: TomatoWalrus on November 15, 2016, 11:48:59 AM
We don't have HARD proof yet...we have...pretty FIRM suggestion, but no HARD proof... ..which I kinda want to kick tynan in the shin for doing that, I can't STAND such uncertainty... ..

but on the other hand, I doubt hes a jerk enough to suggest a wanted feature, but not actually do it.

So, not REALLY REALLY confirmed, but probably I think yes most likely confirmed.

I think that picture of the caravan is hard proof
Murphys law:
If something can go wrong, it will go wrong.
RimWorld can be an ass sometimes