[A17/A18] [WIP] Warhammer 40k Corruption

Started by Cpt.Ohu, December 22, 2016, 05:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpt.Ohu

Thank you for taking the time.

Quote from: Houkime
Suggestion: "Xenophobe/phile" should be displayed separately or at least not only with religion...
Right now religion info is not even in Stats tab...
Please do consider doing religion menu entry point more obvious...

I'm aware that the current implentation isn't ideal. This was the easiest way to get a window with additional stats in there without the need for detours. Hence the xenophile/-phobe stuff is also in there. There's unfortunately not that much space left on vanilla windows for additional information to be placed in, and putting them in the basic stats window I thought they'd be largely ignored.

I'll consider your suggestions and when moving towards a release, I'll get a at least some basic info and a more obvious button in there somehwere that leads to the religion menu.

Quote from: HoukimeIn current activity while attending to sermon: a sermon to whom?

I'll think about a way to display this. As for now: What kind of sermon is given depends on whom YOU set as a preacher. If you have a corrupted pawn, he/she will give a dark sermon, no matter what you define. The preacher will stand at an imperial altar and basically try to desecrate it with heretical speech. Hence loyal pawns will be disturbed and not listen to this preacher ever again. A pretty mild reaction, but I reccon it would be a bit tedious from a gameplay perspective if we played it straight and then let the loyal pawns bludgeon the heretic to death right away without player control (mental break: righteous fury).

Quote from: HoukimeBug?: Atheist has an Emperor patron.

The imperial patron system is very simplified atm. Atheism as we understand it in 40K is kind of a moot point anyway since the existence of higher powers is confirmed and divinity becomes a matter of definition. During the Great Crusade the Astartes accepted Big-E as their leader/patron without raising him to the level of a god in the old sense. A loyal atheist pawn in this mod just carries the original idea of enlightenment/abolishment of religion as put forward by the Emperor. He is still a patron, even if he isn't prayed to.

I think on-body visualisation idea is good but it should be more literal and obvious...

Rimworld is unfortunately a bit limited in graphical terms. It's difficult to display mutations/rot without going over the top. The current overlays are also more subtle because they shouldn't be completely obvious at a single glance. Corruption may be hiding under all that clothing and armor, you'll only know by taking a closer look.

However I'll try to get some icons in there to make it a bit more obvious for colonists.

Quote from: HoukimeSome other ideas for future...
Orks:
I'm not sure I'll ever get around to make an orc colony playable. In my eyes they are great as an external threat, but I'm not sure what sort of stories would come out of playing a giant mushroom farm. Though I do see the appeal of making a pure raider-playthrough where your orks try to take over the entire planet. I'm afraid though that the game may be unable to handle planetwide conquest (at least for now).

Eldar: Playing or fighting an exodite faction is an interesting idea. Craftworld Eldar (and infinity circuits) I think aren't that suited for a colony.

Webway-Gates are on my to do list, simply because I want Eldar to appear in the middle of a map without landing in primitive droppods. Making the webway itself accessible for travel is an interesting idea. However it would probably only be available to Eldar and therefore quite an extensive piece of work just for one possible scenario.

Dark Eldar: Torture. Yeah....

40k is grimdark to the point of absurdity, and that's why I can laugh at it. However I'm not sure I WANT to enable you as the player to be directly giving out orders to torment as an entirely beneficial way of playing. If anything I'll get it in a mental-break (similar to berserker rage) so these pawns become more of a liability.

You already can do some sketchy stuff with a single psychopath/bloodlusty guy (get him to kill any downed and otherwise useless pawn for that mood buff). And when playing a full grown DE kabal / chaos cult you'll have nothing but these psychos at your disposal...

Playing DE is also at the same level as Orks in my view. Not that interesting/fitting for now.

Quote from: HoukimeBug: Magos Biologos cannot do Doctoring and Growing.
Bug: Artisan Techpriest somehow missed your allmighty disability hammer and can Tend, Doctor and more.
I'll update the backstories for the mechanicum. Also: The Allmighty Disability Hammer may be a holy weapon I'll add.

Quote from: HoukimeBug?: Techpriests act like Servitors... with no real thoughts at all. It is not according to lore AFAIR. Techpriests are still people. Fanatics of Machine God (by the way why Emperor as patron?), heavily modified and such, with tons of manipulators and really hard resistance to exotic surrounding conditions (part of the reason for them to become techpriests), but still people with almost normal human brains.

I wanted to disable thoughts for the techpriests, because of their effect on the mood. Most Rimworld thoughts (beauty/luxury of a room, quality of meals, lover's quarrels etc.) are too banal in my eyes to have an effect on the mood of a proper member of the mechanicus. I put them on the same level als their servitors not for lack of actual individual thoughts, but because their thoughts are in my view more likely to be very different from that of an average, unaugmented human.

The emperor as patron is in there for simplicity, basically. I'm not sure what the machine-god would bring to the table in this setup.

Quote from: HoukimeBug: Techpriests have as much human meat as anybody else.
The flesh-thing is strange, since it should yield way less human meat. I'll take a look.

Quote from: HoukimePossible future feature: "Turn into Servitor" and "Turn into Techpriest" operations.

Making servitors is actually on the agenda. I'm just not sure yet as to how I would handle their basic needs after the transformation, since as you said, there's a range of possibilites in the lore, from mindless, vatgrown flesh-robots to actual humans that may even retain at least some personality (Aluded to in Black Library books).

Quote from: HoukimeOrc economy is exactly zero.

That may have been over-zealousness on my part, since the orks were not meant to be played as colonists or have an actual base somewhere. I'll enable crafting and construction for grots. Artistry will remain disabled, since yes, technically orks are capable of making art, but the game is still mainly played from a human perspective, I wouldn't consider what the orks are producing worthy of being called art that has any value.

Was impressed by additinal manipulators being an apparel. Was about to suggest them as implants before seeing them.

Somewhere down the line I'd like to set up actual visible implants like that. Currently this manipulator takes up an apparel-slot that players may want to use differently. Also it means that any colonist can just equip/drop it, and since we're talking about advanced tools that require some heavy wiring into the nervous system, that's not very realistic. Speaking of the servitors mentioned above, I'll probably go towards a mechanicum surgery table for such advanced operations.

sedkethran

Hey when I mouse over for the description of an Omicron my entire UI goes blank.
Not sure if this is a real bug or a fault of my own with mod load order.

Cpt.Ohu

Quote from: sedkethran on January 10, 2017, 08:46:51 PM
Hey when I mouse over for the description of an Omicron my entire UI goes blank.
Not sure if this is a real bug or a fault of my own with mod load order.

That bug was reported before, it's now fixed.

Fixed most of the bugs reported.

New way of displaying information about a pawns corruption:

Pressing the icon next to the bar also opens the alignment-window now.

koaniil

Hello.
When i build any altars save game is crashed and not load anymore.

Cpt.Ohu

Quote from: koaniil on January 11, 2017, 07:28:51 AM
Hello.
When i build any altars save game is crashed and not load anymore.

There was an error within the save-method for the altar, it should be fixed now.

Added in basic structure for a Tau faction.

Includes:
Pawns: Basic fire warriors, Gue'Vesa auxillaries and traders from the water caste.

Weapons: Pulse Rifle, Pulse Pistol, Rail Rifle

Armor: Combat Armor (Shas only), auxilliary chestplate, basic bodysuit

koaniil

Okay, altars works, but save crushed when the colonists used altar and their purity changed

Techgenius

I don't mean to critize, however, have you ever considered making standalone mods? I absolutely LOVE warhammer lore, whether fantasy or 40k. But your conversion seems to tackle a lot of things rimworld itself has yet to do, like the servitors for example, the visible implants, thats how I thought implants would work in vanilla rimworld, the techpriests are amazing, and the warp magic is simply incredible work, I'm very curious to see how this mod will turn out to be, but I'd start with the Imperium/mechanicum first, you already have tau, eldar, chaos, the amount of work each demands has must be straining, why not do each at a time?

Cpt.Ohu

Quote from: Techgenius on January 23, 2017, 12:27:55 PM
I don't mean to critize, however, have you ever considered making standalone mods? I absolutely LOVE warhammer lore, whether fantasy or 40k. But your conversion seems to tackle a lot of things rimworld itself has yet to do, like the servitors for example, the visible implants, thats how I thought implants would work in vanilla rimworld, the techpriests are amazing, and the warp magic is simply incredible work, I'm very curious to see how this mod will turn out to be, but I'd start with the Imperium/mechanicum first, you already have tau, eldar, chaos, the amount of work each demands has must be straining, why not do each at a time?

Well, I have a vision what this mod should be once finished. And I'm slowly progressing towards that goal.

What takes the most time is assembly coding which will make this mod unique. Creating faction art assets and writing XML code for a new one isn't that time-consuming or arduous for me. E.G. Tau and Dark Eldar were my way of relaxing after spending hours on getting another little functionality into the assembly.

I thought about making standalone-factions at some point. First off they still require the assembly part to function as they are intended and second I'm not that keen on butchering what I have so far to release just another Faction Mod like there are a lot out there already (and more fleshed out ones admittedly). I want these new factions to play a specialized role rather than being just a reskinned outlander or Mechanoid faction (which is what my 40k factions are right now, barring some pawn-specific stuff). These factions are supposed to provide interesting midgame and lategame options.

Speaking of which:

This is the Central Command Cogitator (CCC), basically an advanced version of the comms console. Its function will be to allow communication with hidden factions which may be based on other planets or aboard ships. For the imperial factions this will allow to trade in raw goods for goodwill, which will grant either protection or technology.

As you see, it also shows a sketch of the subsector your planet is in. This is randomly generated each game. Maybe I'll find a way to get moving objects in there as well.

At a later point the CCC will give you the option to request being acknowledged as an official part of the Imperium by the Adeptus Administratum. Or maybe you're more interested in joining the cause for a Greater Good...

Techgenius

By the Emperor, thats amazing! maybe you could include a feature that allows us to be appointed governors of our rimworld when we're recognized by the Imperium? allowing us to request Imperial platoons to patrol the planet, set up forward bases, while increasing the chance of our rimworld getting attacked by chaos forces, tau or dark eldar? or maybe, you could allow to us build a foundry world for the Mechanicus, allowing our faction to become Magos members of the Adeptus Mechanicus and receive techpriests, menials and servitors to help us prosper, skitarii units to help in defense

I like your vision of the mod, what I was getting at, perhaps releasing Warp magic as a standalone mod at some point, or faction parts, like Adeptus Mechanicus armor and weapons and servitor bots.

What are you planning with warp magic? do you plan to add more types of spells, perhaps better ways to cast spells instead of using a staff to focus, you get a new tab to show your magical talents? Oh.. when AI learn to use warp magic.. I know this might not be a priority, but do you plan Space Marine chapters too? Hmmm, minotaurs.

Cpt.Ohu

Quote from: Techgenius on January 25, 2017, 09:17:26 AM
By the Emperor, thats amazing! maybe you could include a feature that allows us to be appointed governors of our rimworld when we're recognized by the Imperium? allowing us to request Imperial platoons to patrol the planet, set up forward bases, while increasing the chance of our rimworld getting attacked by chaos forces, tau or dark eldar? or maybe, you could allow to us build a foundry world for the Mechanicus, allowing our faction to become Magos members of the Adeptus Mechanicus and receive techpriests, menials and servitors to help us prosper, skitarii units to help in defense.

Well, you've rightly guessed where I want to go. A third option would be association with the Adeptus Sororitas to get a Shrine-World going.

Quote from: Techgenius on January 25, 2017, 09:17:26 AM
What are you planning with warp magic? do you plan to add more types of spells, perhaps better ways to cast spells instead of using a staff to focus, you get a new tab to show your magical talents? Oh.. when AI learn to use warp magic.. I know this might not be a priority, but do you plan Space Marine chapters too? Hmmm, minotaurs.

More spells would be nice, but I'm not that inventive atm, so if you have some ideas, feel free to share.

Unlocking spells by equipment is just one option of gaining access. The Eldar warlock currently unlocked has a range of spells available that are linked to him directly, so even unarmed these warlocks may cast spells. This may be acchieved by reading books. I'm also thinking of events that may unlock an ability. Or building a training room where a potential psyker may focus and have a chance to gain an ability.

Getting the AI to use it would be another milestone, however for now my experiments didn't work.

As for Space Marines: When starting out, this was intended to be a team effort, and since other modders were prioritizing Astartes I focussed on everything else ^^
There are a lot of discarded assets lying around, and maybe I'll get around to re-use them some day, but I can't make any promises.

Ezrool

This looks awesome!
The Warlock abilities looks very enjoyable to use!

Cpt.Ohu, sent you a PM!
(Or well, I think I did... Might've closed the tab before sending. Got so much stuff on)

Cpt.Ohu

Update:

- bugfixing (savegame issues)

- new building: Central Command Cogitator included (see post above). Contact with hidden factions not fully functional yet (since Rimworld doesn't want you to contact them)

- new Tab: Coat of Arms. Allows you to specify your faction colors and a bannertype to rally around:

I'm still trying to get the actual preview onto the GUI. For now this tab can be found on the CCC.

koaniil

Techgenius

Summoning warp beings, starting with lesser types, farm type warp creatures to greater demons that are outside caster control but not enemy allowing it to live and protect your colony, certain type of nourishment food, I believe Psykers can feed from pure warp energy, the Emprah is a powerful psyker indeed, he never used staffs, did he? so what about some Focusing Power Gauntlets?

Warp Forked Lightning (a less powerful lightning bolt, more readily available)

Warp Imbue (buffs hand-to-hand combat melee),

Warp Despoil (take essence from psykers and warp beings and use these excess energies and ectoplasm as reagents to create warp focused items, weapons, furniture and the like) -Like soul trap from TES Games-

Warp Psyker Force Manipulation (a three way spell, you can project true force to stun/down beings, stunning the more 75% effect, while downing can be done in other ways... a psyker projects the blast on itself as a shield to ricochet projectiles, or throw a ball of pure energy to stun or down foes, very powerful psykers when dying will auto-cast these blasts like boomalopes, but with a greater or lesser radious depending on how powerful they were alive)

Warp Mortus Conjuration (Summon ghosts of long-dead psykers to mentor you and help with menial tasks, and cause lot of havoc, burned ghosts can appear and start putting fires, ancient/revered/ancestor ghosts can teach a lot about warp magic, some very powerful spells could be learned only through these ghosts)

Warp Memory (store spells, remember spells, project a image of yourself for... social reasons or just decoy, remember, the best friend you can have is yourself, teach spells to other psykers)

Warp Stasis Field (trap foes in a stasis field cage while the effect lasts)

Warp Stasis Wall (Construct a wall of pure energy to protect yourself against the elements or projectives, useless against warp magic)

Warp Stamina Buff (Increase speed with huge debuffs when the spell wears off -200x tired)

Warp Meditate (Sleep outdoors or in a focusing chamber to increase psyker talents, gain higher knowledge, divination about the future, slowly, but very slowly recover wounds, dare I say this is how psykers should ever "sleep" ? floating in air, with purple gases (ectoplasm?) leaving the body around the psyker as a protective mechanism )

Warp Energy bolt (cast two bolts using your eyes, or one huge bolt using your hands)

Warp Blink Combat (Useful when you need to dodge incoming mortars, psyker doom bolts, combat variation is less exchausting on the mind because of the adrenaline)

Warp Force Slash (Equivalent to melee damage with swords, but at a distance, very weak, but can leave a foe full of cuts that can lead to death)

Warp Enchant (Imbue furniture, objects with warp energy, tainting it or cleasing it)

Warp Asphyxiantion/Suffocation (remove the air from the foe, cut their lungs and watch as they suffer, or bless them and give back their air)

Warp Ward (A last chance spell, cast it on you or your allies to prevent death, resurrected pawns lose their memory permanentely, psykers can die when they cast this type of spell as a shard of their soul is transfered, but their ally gains 2 or more psyker levels, or go completely mad)

Warp Melt Metal (Melt foes using cybernetic, metal implants on their bodies, leaving only a crisp, melt weapons and other metals, could also be used to melt slags/weapons into useful metals such as steel, but with a higher chaotic influence in the objects)

Warp Awe (put foes in a confuse state for while the psyker channels)

Warp Teleport (another two way spell, psykers can use warp energy to teleport around, or.. to teleport themselves or others while in danger)

Warp Sustain (Increase the odds on surgeries, require constant channeling and could damage the psyker)

Warp Nourishmenter (similar to meditate, but instead psykers feed from pure warp energy, the purple gases enter the psyker instead of leaving him)

Warp Possession (If possible, a psyker can turn into objects, take control of pawns)

Warp Mutate (Chaos spell, turn foes into demons, slaves)

Warp Doom Bolt (a long rang spell that can utterly desintegrate foes, strickly chaotic, takes its toll on the psyker, often a arm, or a organ)

Warp Regeneration (Like the Nourishmenter and Meditate Spells, the regenerate can cure wounds and scars, but drains hunger and sleep, strickly pure, can leave psykers downed or confused, similar to cryosleep, they need to be awaked from this state, gently or with a mace to the head)

Warp Conjure Cherub (haulers and cleaners, angels from space, only the purest of heart can summon those, but they are temporily companions, live only 2 or 5 years, before dissipating to their holy home) Note: I'm not sure if they are warp demons, or artificial constructs, but if possible, could be a marvelous addition.

Warp Alchemy ( create food canisters, heal using corpses, create soulstones, bone artifacts and furniture, skull lamps, craft jewells, amulets of power, monoliths, focusing stones and magical glowing encravings all over the place)

Warp Familiar (Conjure a warp demon (good, neutral or evil) to accompany the psyker and increase his powers, keep company, heal and aid however it can, to lose a familiar is to lose a portion of your power and soul, kinda of a bargain? feed it PSYKER corpses or warp beings, or ectoplasm concoctions/food warp canisters, they cant eat anything material and can starve and eat you while destroying themselves if in frenzy)

Warp Heat ( Create contained fires that never spread, but generate heat, purple color ;) )

Warp Wildfire ( Well, unlike the Heat, it does spread... forever)

Warp Cool (Create a cloud that freezes a room)

Warp Foam (The counter to wildfire)

Warp Slow (slow foes, put weight on their movement, fatal if near water)

Warp Crack (break and crack all the bones in a foes body)

Warp Bolide (superheat a nearby stone and throw a foes)

Warp Boil (Make foes puke their own blood and eventually die)

Warp Spikes (Conjure sharp objects inside a foes body, very Fkn letal)

Warp Shard (Conjure sharp glass like shards and send them at your foes)

Warp Animate (Make golems from mud, stone or wood, or metal for menial tasks, mud and wood golems are very weak and only live for a few days, while more hardy golems can live for many seasons, can be bounded or turned into pretty statues, in fact they need to be crafted before animated, create dust warriors and give them weapons or armor, or just reanimate a corpse to serve as meatshield for bullets)

Warp Dispel (Cancel all warp effects in a area)

Warp Cloud of Shadow (blind foes)

Warp Cloud of Dreams (Put foes into sleep) and then burn their corpse, they cant wake from dreams :D

I'm done for now (thats about all I could think of now). I know some of these spells are impossible to mod or code, or simply beyond the scope of the mod, but if added it would mean a lot, I know some of the spells are absurdly powerful, but remember, only very talend psykers could ever hope to cast these and survive after, some of the spells can literally kill the psyker and desintegrating its corpse after, while *warp* is the "keyword", these spells can be renamed to whatever you like.

Techgenius

Another cool addition would be if very powerful psykers had a filth-like thing, wherever they go, they drop glowing purple dirt/ectoplasm, that can alter the ambience for Good or Evil