[A17/A18] [WIP] Warhammer 40k Corruption

Started by Cpt.Ohu, December 22, 2016, 05:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpt.Ohu

Thank you for your spell ideas, I'm already working on some of them.

The ectoplasm-idea is a bit weird for my liking though. I'd rather make it an aura that travels with the pawn.

Techgenius

Quote from: Cpt.Ohu on February 05, 2017, 01:40:08 PM
Thank you for your spell ideas, I'm already working on some of them.

The ectoplasm-idea is a bit weird for my liking though. I'd rather make it an aura that travels with the pawn.

Some say ectoplasm is mana, mystical, innate magical energies every being has, but only a few ever unlock it's secret potential, having very high rank psykers move around the game dropping magical energies wherever they go, not just to show how powerful they are, but how their powers change the ambience and essence of the world around them, how people perceive and therefore "feel" how powerful some psykers are.. not just by the looks (oh look, I'm walking with a staff and I wear a robe, so I must be a powerful wizard), its the plausive "material" energy.. it sends chill down the spine, it manipulates your emotions, yet invisible to non-psykers, its warp energy, psykers can sense how powerful other psykers are, aura, energy and all the senses including the sixth, it's all very interwined, wired, it's chaos, it's order, it is the the warp, it touches everything, it changes everything.

Maybe in the future you could make a Mana bar, Magic bar where when powers are depleated, psykers suffer the causes of abusing their warp powers

Thank you for taking these ideas, I'm glad and happy tjat I was able to help in some small measure the development of your upcoming masterpiece.

GovernmentSpook

Great work so far! It's awesome that you already have a bunch of races and a religion/corruption system going on- really looking forward to the starting a 40k colony when I start a new game.

I was also wondering if you would ever release a standalone psyker mod? I've read your post on preferably not cutting up the mod into standalone-factions, but your psyker powers are certainly one of a kind (not to mention already implemented and working). Would be very appreciated!

Cpt.Ohu

Quote from: Techgenius on February 05, 2017, 11:52:44 PM
Maybe in the future you could make a Mana bar, Magic bar where when powers are depleated, psykers suffer the causes of abusing their warp powers

I've been asked about that in the past. I'm unsure whether a mana bar is actually fitting for the kind of magic that the warp provides. There are already drawbacks to using psyker powers.

Right now, most spells have a really short cooldown, for testing purposes. Later on this will increase dramatically for the more powerful spells. Additionally, there are already risks in using psyker powers. Each use may trigger a side-effect. Induced vomitting is the mild option which may take your pawn out of combat for precious seconds. Psychic shock will down your pawn immediately. And in rare cases (~1%) you'll get demonic possesion, which results in the death of the pawn over time and will spawn a demon.

I'd rather expand on these ideas than simply adding a blue bar.

Quote from: GovernmentSpook on February 07, 2017, 07:00:36 AM
I was also wondering if you would ever release a standalone psyker mod? I've read your post on preferably not cutting up the mod into standalone-factions, but your psyker powers are certainly one of a kind (not to mention already implemented and working). Would be very appreciated!

As you've mentioned, I do not want to cut my stuff into modules. I might as well give up on the mod entirely once all assets are flowing around separately.

However I've heard it may appear on another great mod in the future...

GovernmentSpook

Thank you kindly for responding!

Fair enough; you've already made quite a lot (really diggin' the corruption system), and it will be interesting to see all the other 40k features you'll be adding.

Any hints on that other great mod in the future?

Techgenius

Yes, no magic bar could potentially be replaced with debuffs, not sure about demonic possession because I bet a lot of people would simply... rollback saves. Maybe you should make it tempting. Like Luciferium, make demonic possession add a lot of buffs, ability to cast any spell with almost no cost or effort, maybe increasing the chance the pawn will turn into a powerful demon, make possessed psykers regenerate health and scars, do chaos melee damage and poison, add huge mood penalties to those near the pawn, make casting spells backfire a beserk state more commonly, make their spells more powerful. Add tiers to the possession where a psyker could potentionally hold back based on their willpower, tier 1,2 ,3 ,4 ,5 all representing a loss of control, amnesia, violent surges, fell plotting, casting spells specifically to destroy stuff, EX: wildfire in the wilds, attacking neutral pawns.

Cpt.Ohu

That would be the way for possession to go, thanks for your input.

Unlocking more powers as the demon takes over is interesting. I'd still try to mask it up in a general psyker exhaustion hediff so you can't immediately tell if a pawn is affected. The different tiers can be easily implemented by disease stages.

Possession should still always end in the death of the pawn and probably the destruction of the colony (or at least almost). Even if you manage to contain it, the Imperial and probably the Xeno factions present wouldn't ignore such an event.

If people want to savescum, let them. To me that's still more of a hassle than waiting a couple of seconds for a mana bar to regenerate.

Quote from: GovernmentSpook on February 09, 2017, 04:43:43 AM
Any hints on that other great mod in the future?

I'd rather not, it might cost you your sanity  ;)

GovernmentSpook

If you're saying what I think you're saying, then I am so very much looking forward to that as well. :D

About 40k, may I suggest Daemonhosts while you're working on the possession bit? It might seem like using two terms for the same thing, but Daemonhosts would be a tool for pure players to fight chaos with chaos, inquisitor style, while Possessed would be more of a reward for chaos followers.

The chaos folk would have higher chances of getting possessed (especially tzeentch followers) if they're psykers, and they could also get a ritual/sermon begging for possession. While daemonhosts would require daemon corpses/something with the book system you've implemented. It seems like one doesn't have to be a psyker to be a daemonhost, though you could still make that a requirement if making an army of them is too overpowered.

Daemonhosts would pretty much be like the possessed in terms of stats, although the few I read about in the novels were docile when they had a handler (though the wiki says they all go insane eventually, so still pretty much the same as possessed) and would basically be the warp version of making a luciferium warrior.

Techgenius

Yes, death is the way to go in that situation, like luciferium. If you do not hold back the later tiers of possession, your pawn can die, and if the pawn was a very powerful psyker, odds are it's game over.

Perhaps penitence trials/praying chain trials for pure psykers to replenish their willpower, and perversion/indulgence for chaotic psykers to satisfy their inner demon and replenish willpower,"willpower" sorta immunity, but it depletes over time as the demon is trying to take control, it's a constant battle for control, thus granting the pawn, immortality? because if the pawn dies of natural causes the demon wont gain power, so it uses its reserves to keep the pawn alive and try to take control, if thats impossible, maybe increase longevity.

TrashMan

here:

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

TrashMan

and a few more

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Cpt.Ohu

Thank you,  I'll get them in once I'm back from abroad.

Jovus

When this says 'WIP', how exactly do you mean?

Does this mean, for example, that the mod is mechanically complete, and simply adding new content, like new psykker powers, weapons, etc.?

Does this mean that the mod is playable, but some features do not work or do not work correctly?

Does this mean that the mod is available for testing and development, but not yet in a state where one should add it to a game unless volunteering for the testing effort?

I get the impression from reading the thread that it's one of the first two, but I thought I should check.

Cpt.Ohu

The mod is in a playable state, with a lot of new stuff lacking some depth and new mechanics that haven't been subjected to proper long-term testing. Also mod compability hasn't been a priority.

Therefore you can add the mod when keeping in mind that the final result of your mod setup may throw errors or/and unexpected events.

It's still listed as WIP because it isn't finished. The whole project has gotten quite big for a single person to handle and I don't feel quite satisfied yet with everything. I may go for an initial release, if only to draw in more people and more feedback.

Jovus

Thanks! That clarifies things nicely.

I'll probably give this a whirl...sometime. I'm really busy in real life. But it's on my list!