[1.0] Children and Pregnancy - v0.5b (2019/Feb/25)

Started by Thirite, December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sidfu

Quote from: red3dred on January 16, 2018, 08:25:09 PM
So, i'm having a few issues... "Determine pregnancy" operation is not available on alien races, and inter-racial (Human-Orassan couple) couples don't seem to work too. Is this mod currently human-only, or am i running into some patch-intersection incompatibility?

mod is human only as he has to figure out a way to account for the vast number of aliens

Kagea

Hello I don't know if someone mentioned it already but everytime I start Rimworld with this mod on it creates a Harmony.log file on my Desktop.
I read around a bit and found out that this happens when you have debug flag set in the initialization code and the person said only the modder could fix this. Would that be possible?

grrizo

Anyone found a fix for the messed up work tab in already started games?
It works perfectly in new games, by the way. Good work!
Lavish meal, now with extra Yorkshire terrier meat.

Thirite

@Psyckosama
It does not.

@GrimTrigger
That's strange. The way I coded it should have made people always prioritize cribs for children, unless the crib was much further away than the bed. I'll have to take a look at that.

@Radium_Bullet
There's no hard-coded instant death; the most you can get is significant blood loss over time.

@Anatares
I spoke briefly with the creator of BntB about potential mod conflict and along with browsing the source for it, we both agreed they shouldn't be conflicting- but people are indeed reporting they are. It's not high priority right now but I'll have to check it out later.

@PhantomFav
This is a truly bizarre bug, and if what I suspect to be causing it is indeed the case I may not be able to fix it. The scaling I perform should only affect the individual meshes of each pawn but I believe the engine may be copying an existing mesh with the same texture already applied to save processing power. But I'm not sure about that.

@GrimTrigger
That kind of defeats the point of them crying though.

@Sinclair200
> ...she also goes and breastfeed each and every prisoners.
Oh god hahaha. Oops. I suppose I forgot to do an age check somewhere...

@red3dred
The mod only works with humans- Alien Races should be compatible insofar as they both can run at the same time without the game breaking, but C&P is not programmed to account for Alien Races. It's a planned feature after the base mod intended to work solely with the base game 100% is finished.

@Kagea
Yeah that's my bad. I often forget to disable debugging mode before pushing updates.

As for the "10 Jobs started in 1 tick" thing that's typically caused by a mismatch in the checks performed if a pawn can perform a job and the abort-checks when the pawn actually starts the job. I'm looking into it now.

grrizo

Quote from: grrizo on January 19, 2018, 04:42:37 PM
Anyone found a fix for the messed up work tab in already started games?
It works perfectly in new games, by the way. Good work!
That sounded like sarcasm, but it isn't. Sorry.
Lavish meal, now with extra Yorkshire terrier meat.

Shigemi

First of all, I want to thank you for all of your amazing work on this mod. I've been lurking here using it for a while but decided to make an account to this forum because I have a couple of questions.

1) Do contraceptives and mifepristol work on animals to prevent endless breeding cycles of your pack muffalo?

2) Is there a way to get siblings to share a bedroom without the debuff, particularly as infants/toddlers?

3) Is there a way to prevent a colonist from getting pregnant again immediately after giving birth? I did a tribal start and two of my colonists got married extremely early. They popped out three children before I was able to research drug production or anyone had high enough medical skill to perform abortions. She gets pregnant again immediately the night after she can move again from giving birth every time. (I had dev mode on to see the hidden early stage)

we recruited a colonist with a 12 medicine skill and levelled one of our own up to 10 before child 4 made it to late stage and were able to nip the endless cycle in the bud but it was quite worrying for a while. xD

4) How soon do you think there will be clothes available for babies/toddlers? I am in a very warm area and the heat waves come close to killing my three tots every Jugust just heading from the nursery to the dining room.

5) Is there a chance you can disable social joy tolerance for the crib-bound infant stage, or add toys/joy sources for toddlers soon? Every time one of my babies age to a crawling tot they head straight for the garden tea and pass out from a caffeine blackout after drinking ten of them in a row. xD

GrimTrigger

Quote from: Thirite on January 19, 2018, 10:10:22 PM
@Psyckosama
It does not.

@GrimTrigger
That's strange. The way I coded it should have made people always prioritize cribs for children, unless the crib was much further away than the bed. I'll have to take a look at that.

@Radium_Bullet
There's no hard-coded instant death; the most you can get is significant blood loss over time.

@Anatares
I spoke briefly with the creator of BntB about potential mod conflict and along with browsing the source for it, we both agreed they shouldn't be conflicting- but people are indeed reporting they are. It's not high priority right now but I'll have to check it out later.

@PhantomFav
This is a truly bizarre bug, and if what I suspect to be causing it is indeed the case I may not be able to fix it. The scaling I perform should only affect the individual meshes of each pawn but I believe the engine may be copying an existing mesh with the same texture already applied to save processing power. But I'm not sure about that.

@GrimTrigger
That kind of defeats the point of them crying though.

@Sinclair200
> ...she also goes and breastfeed each and every prisoners.
Oh god hahaha. Oops. I suppose I forgot to do an age check somewhere...

@red3dred
The mod only works with humans- Alien Races should be compatible insofar as they both can run at the same time without the game breaking, but C&P is not programmed to account for Alien Races. It's a planned feature after the base mod intended to work solely with the base game 100% is finished.

@Kagea
Yeah that's my bad. I often forget to disable debugging mode before pushing updates.

As for the "10 Jobs started in 1 tick" thing that's typically caused by a mismatch in the checks performed if a pawn can perform a job and the abort-checks when the pawn actually starts the job. I'm looking into it now.

Yeah in my last playthrough, for some reason children would randomly require rescue (while in the crib) and my pawns would take them to the hospital bed.  I got into the habit of focusing on them, waiting until the pawn was in the room, and forbid the door.  It would force them to put the child back in the crib.

I play a heavily modded game so it could have just been some anomaly occurring with my unique blend of mods.  In my new game, no one has gotten pregnant yet so I've yet to see it reproduced... I'll let you know, this is a different set of mods (some similar but primarily geared toward primitive style play)

The_Mild

Awhile ago I messaged a error when someone tried to interact with a child, probably don't remember me, and I figured out a alien baby wasn't born, just a child from a race that didn't use the alien framework, beast man tribes in case you were wondering.
Now to the main reasons for my message. I'm not even close to a programer/modder, so I don't understand anything you do and that makes me thank and respect you, but I have to ask, why is it hard to allow the mod to work with alien races. This is coming from a casual but just wanted to ask. And thank you for all the work you are putting into this mod, and I hope it one day gets finished.
And I don't know if this helps but incase you didn't see this: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=38785.0

Thirite

>why is it hard to allow the mod to work with alien races.
It wouldn't be any more difficult than the work I have already done on the Animal Collab Project for example but it's not just flipping a switch to enable it-- Aliens need to have their own graphics supplied for children, the mod would need to be able to handle different kinds of Alien children types (do they imitate humans? do they pop fully formed out of an egg? what limitations are imposed on this Alien's children? etc.).

Also, I did see the mod and was sort of surprised. I took a quick look at the mod's code (and the ape mod) and I'm quite impressed by the way Alien Races works/is used to define child age stages via XML (which is something I planned to implement, but it's already done so well here...). I'll have to have a chat with erdelf and Walking Problem some time.

edit:
Update to v.4d
- Fixed minor issue with breastfeeding and disabled debug mode (no more harmony log printed to desktop)

WalkingProblem

Quote from: The_Mild on January 22, 2018, 06:34:41 PM
Awhile ago I messaged a error when someone tried to interact with a child, probably don't remember me, and I figured out a alien baby wasn't born, just a child from a race that didn't use the alien framework, beast man tribes in case you were wondering.
Now to the main reasons for my message. I'm not even close to a programer/modder, so I don't understand anything you do and that makes me thank and respect you, but I have to ask, why is it hard to allow the mod to work with alien races. This is coming from a casual but just wanted to ask. And thank you for all the work you are putting into this mod, and I hope it one day gets finished.
And I don't know if this helps but incase you didn't see this: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=38785.0

So for the layman to understand what happen behind the scene in the codes:
Animals and Humanlike in the base game are rendered differently. Animals have different textures based on their life stages (baby, juvenile and adult). But humans are weird, despite humans have a more elaborate lifestages (5 stages, baby, toddler, child, teenager, adult), Tynan only uses teenage and adult, and gave both of them the use of the same texture.  Because of the game design, he never meant pregnancy, or children to appear in the game.

So there is 2 set of codes for graphics.

Then there is alien framework. So what Erdelf (alien framework developer) did, if i'm not mistaken, is to duplicate the human graphics codes, and add more customisation features, so that modders can add things like tails and different heads or limited to just one bodytypes etc... That was the case just 2-3 months ago. Just for some context, Alien framework is updated with new features or resolve bugs at least weekly basis (some times daily)

In October he added texture support for life stages. Until this stage, all alien races are no different from the vanilla humans (with exception of this mod, which I personally not sure when the alien race conflict was resolved). So alien races can have different textures to be spawn at a different lifestage (but i doubt anyone actually used it, since i heard my ape mod is the first to seriously use it).

In November, thats when I started seriously working on the Apes mod, and start to request features and fixes from Erdelf for the Alien Framework. And at this point, pregnancy is still not possible for Alien Framework, because the child textures are not "resized". Meaning to make a child looks small, the child need to be small in the texture. Which also means the child cannot wear clothes, because it "would not fit".

In early December, I started working on a pregnancy framework for alien race. So while created the custom "lovin" to allow the female to get pregnant, there is no way for me to implement it in my apes mod, since there is no "child" size texture. So I left the Ape mods and alien pregnancy framework aside and work on other stuffs....  since the coding was beyond me...

In early Jan, I was back on the Apes mod, and was determined to finish the mod, with or without pregnancy or children. Then when I was looking thru and testing the codes, I realised that the custombodysize code (which decide how big or small the race is rendered), can be applied in the lifestages (but it doesnt work correctly, as the bodysize is coded on the race level, than the lifestages level). So I went to request Erdelf to add in this feature for me: to allow custom body size for each lifestage. A week later, Erdelf implemented the bodysize codes.

So what this means is that, Alien races now have the exact same texture codes type as vanilla Animals - where textures can be applied and resize depending on the lifestage - which means, I can create the pregnancy framework, and add this pregnancy into my ape mod. And the rest, is "history" (like last week's history)

So honestly, this entire shebang at the Alien Framework is really new, and its not surprising that Thirite was not aware of the changes in the Alien framework - because the most powerful changes are made only recently.

-------

So back to present, Thirite and I had agreed to make sure that the 2 pregnancy mods can work well together hand in hand, so that we can have both humans and alien races breed properly without mod conflict.

Thirite also suggest that I steal his codes (whichever ones I need) to implement in the Alien Pregnancy Framework, so that I do no need to duplicate the work. I will make sure to work closely with Thirite to make both mods complimentary as much as possible. So hopefully, we can all have a "bountiful" rimworld altogether~ =D

(I do feel a little sad for that Children, school and learning mod by Dylan - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1225716710 , a lot of his work might become obsolete the moment this C&P mod is launched)

GrimTrigger

Thats awesome news.  So I assume that means the respective race mod owners would need to develop their own assets and compatibility?  How would that work

Thirite

Well, schools/teaching is certainly never something I added or even planned to, so that still has its own unique feature. The closest I had in mind is writing textbooks which still doesn't really overlap mechanically.

Shigemi

I finally got around to updating from v0.4c to v0.4d and now my toddlers are no longer able to eat or sleep and instead endlessly perform the "standing" action while crying and throwing notifications of exhaustion. I am able to direct them to eat manually but there is currently no way to direct a pawn to sleep.

I don't know if this is mod conflict or a self contained issue, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention either way.

R34P3R1337

So I'm guessing this mod won't work with existing save files? I try to load save with it and the work tab goes blank and the pawns just wander around randomly.

There's also this, but i don't know what to make of it.

https://imgur.com/a/aHL0x

GrimTrigger

I would recommend trying to switch up your mod load order a bit... I had no problem adding it to an existing game