[1.0] Children and Pregnancy - v0.5b (2019/Feb/25)

Started by Thirite, December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry_Dicks

It's simply in the mod options. From RimWorld's main menu, press Options, then near the top right, press Mod Options. Then scroll down through the list until you find the mod's options that you are looking for. Some mods will be listed at the top, and they have their own window that will open up, while some mods are further down the list and may not have as many things to change. I want to say the mod options page has two lists in alphabetical order, but the list might use a mod's "mod name" and not it's "display name" to determine where it falls in the order of this page.

Also, this is only a mod option for Children, School, and Learning. I am about 99% confident that Children and Pregnancy does not have any options like this.

Dark_Author

Thank you!  I am such a blonde...I have been playing this game for years and never once realized there were in game mod options.  I thought I had to edit the xml files!  Thank you SO much!

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Dark_Author on February 11, 2018, 01:35:53 PM
Thank you!  I am such a blonde...I have been playing this game for years and never once realized there were in game mod options.  I thought I had to edit the xml files!  Thank you SO much!

Hahah holy crap. You mean for years now, you never knew you could change a lot of stuff in mod options? You've been missing out! ::)

Although I will say I'm not sure how long that the "Mod Options" page has been around. Achtung! still has an artifact from when I believe you didn't have that screen. If you use Achtung! and press I think Shift+Enter then you will get a special screen to pop up for it, allowing you to change some of the mod's options, and I don't think there are any options in the regular "Mod Options" page for it.

Dark_Author

Yeah...I never knew that was there at all.   I have indeed been missing out. Thank you, again! 

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Dark_Author on February 11, 2018, 01:55:46 PM
Yeah...I never knew that was there at all.   I have indeed been missing out. Thank you, again!

It's no problem. I honestly feel more bad for you that you've went this long and not none about it! ::) But I am really glad you said something, because otherwise you might have never known, and gone even longer without being able to enjoy playing with these great tools that these very talented modders give us to adjust their mods to our liking!

That's one thing I definitely am a stickler about. When I start playing a new game, and I think I will like it and maybe want to dive deeper into it, I make sure I try to fully check out all of the options and things I can tweak that are available to me. For games like RimWorld, I'm now tweaking and adjusting everything on all of my mods more than playing the dang game!

Ruisuki

How far along is this from what you envisioned? I remember killface mentioning it should be able to be made compatible with facial stuff eventually

Ne0nGenisis

Does this mod disable anyone else's ability to right click things?

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Ne0nGenisis on February 12, 2018, 01:23:56 AM
Does this mod disable anyone else's ability to right click things?

I haven't seen any issues like that. Do you still have this happen with only this mod running?

Centari

Having an error with a newborn baby. When a colonist attempts to 'play with' the child, I receive this error.

Roland started 10 jobs in 10 ticks. List: (WaitMaintainPosture (Job_1856852)) , (PlayWithBaby (Job_1856853) A=Thing_Human686410) , (PlayWithBaby (Job_1856854) A=Thing_Human686410) , (PlayWithBaby (Job_1856855) A=Thing_Human686410) , (PlayWithBaby (Job_1856856) A=Thing_Human686410) , (PlayWithBaby (Job_1856857) A=Thing_Human686410) , (PlayWithBaby (Job_1856859) A=Thing_Human686410) , (PlayWithBaby (Job_1856861) A=Thing_Human686410) , (PlayWithBaby (Job_1856862) A=Thing_Human686410) , and (PlayWithBaby (Job_1856863) A=Thing_Human686410)  lastJobGiver=RimWorld.JobGiver_Work, curJob.def=PlayWithBaby, curDriver=RimWorldChildren.JobDriver_PlayWithBaby
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:StartErrorRecoverJob(String)
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:FinalizeTick()
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:JobTrackerTick()
Verse.Pawn:Tick_Patch1(Object)
Verse.TickList:Tick()
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick()
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate()
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay()
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

Harry_Dicks

I'm not sure, but I think I read about someone having issues with some of the monsters spawning from the Rim of Madness pack while running Children and Pregnancy. I think this has to do with this mod affecting lifestages of basepawn or something, same thing with the zombies maybe? Just a forewarning, because I never ran into this in my test games, because I never actually made it that far.

It looks like I will have to put this mod on the bench until we can get a way for it to recognize things that aren't humans and not apply it's lifestages to them or something. Not really sure of what needs to be fixed in the code, but after bugging the author of Zombieland, and even asking him if there was a way that we can just have bald zombies to get around this problem, he made it seem like this: Children and Pregnancy is the one that causes the issues because it's not differentiating between what types of pawns it's applying it's stuff to. Also, I don't mean that in a any sort of "accusatory way", I'm simply trying to relay to the OP what a lot of fans of his mod could benefit from, if this was a viable fix that they would be willing to implement. Makes me wish I understood C#, otherwise I really would be trying to help find a way :-\

Either way, thank you OP for a great mod. I just really hope that you will consider making these fixes. I honestly feel like if you do, then I will be just one step closer to having a "perfect" RimWorld experience that has everything I want it in, which definitely includes your mod! ;D

Centari

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 13, 2018, 11:32:54 PM
I'm not sure, but I think I read about someone having issues with some of the monsters spawning from the Rim of Madness pack while running Children and Pregnancy. I think this has to do with this mod affecting lifestages of basepawn or something, same thing with the zombies maybe? Just a forewarning, because I never ran into this in my test games, because I never actually made it that far.

It looks like I will have to put this mod on the bench until we can get a way for it to recognize things that aren't humans and not apply it's lifestages to them or something. Not really sure of what needs to be fixed in the code, but after bugging the author of Zombieland, and even asking him if there was a way that we can just have bald zombies to get around this problem, he made it seem like this: Children and Pregnancy is the one that causes the issues because it's not differentiating between what types of pawns it's applying it's stuff to. Also, I don't mean that in a any sort of "accusatory way", I'm simply trying to relay to the OP what a lot of fans of his mod could benefit from, if this was a viable fix that they would be willing to implement. Makes me wish I understood C#, otherwise I really would be trying to help find a way :-\

Either way, thank you OP for a great mod. I just really hope that you will consider making these fixes. I honestly feel like if you do, then I will be just one step closer to having a "perfect" RimWorld experience that has everything I want it in, which definitely includes your mod! ;D

Thanks for letting me know about the Rim of Madness conflict @Harry_Dicks, I happened to have installed the Werewolf mod recently, I think I'll do some tests with the mods and see if I can't figure something out.

Harry_Dicks

No problem. I think the problem was specifically with something named a "byakhalee" (or however it's spelled) from spawning, from either the Cults or Cosmic Horrors mod. So I would recommend maybe at least trying to have everything you have added in spawn in at least once.

Tenshi~Akari

Ok, so after MUCH trial & error, I finally have gotten the first little jellybean of B18. (Fostering relationships long enough to conceive has been an absolute nightmare, even for keeping my pre-lover'd/pre-married new arrivals & tribals. This is where I miss the effects of Romance Diversified so much, at least it gave way to have more couples' interactions to set the mood, or if unlucky, potentially break it more... but I digress.)

4 Things... though I'm pretty sure they've already been stated.

1. IMO, I think if at all possible there should be a slight consciousness debuff on infants, at least pre-toddlerhood. It seems like babies as they're set up now hardly ever sleep much, even compared to A17... and when they do, it's definitely not for long. This kind of gives way to...

2. Childcare mechanics... so, if I have a pawn prioritized to care for babies when absolutely necessary, it seems like they focus entirely too much time doing so. In this case, I have the unfortunate setup of my best repairer/builder also being my best negotiator and caretaker... care to take a guess at what happens if I set childcare as top priority? While the baby is awake, there's absolute negligence of constructing anything that needs to be built ASAP, or meals that need to be cooked, etc. Pawns spend literally every other qued interaction playing with the baby, even when the baby's and the caretaker's joy needs are maxed-out. I would definitely suggest doing the playing like you did with feeding... only when it hits a certain point should an assigned pawn go play with the baby, either it be to give the little tyke or themselves a joy boost. Otherwise, folks are stuck in a situation in smaller colonies where there's either neglect of key work duties or child neglect. Either way, it forces a lot of unnecessary micromanaging that can potentially be avoided.

3. Breastfeeding: Finally having a good experience with it and WM Smarter Food simultaneously installed this go around. It works! Really well... unfortunately so well that my tyke likes to hop out of the crib. This leads to mom potentially seeking to put the kiddo into a completely new bed if any are unclaimed on base, regardless of prior crib assignments... I don't know if this is a bug related to either something going on in core, the mod itself, or what, but it's quite dangerous on maps with a village-like setup and dangerous outdoor temps. (I also have the Lay Right Here mod for pet bed assignments, and I'm noticing that has issues with holding assignments for baby animals as well, which is why I was kind of wondering if the possibility of it being something core related could've been the case... but I'm no expert on that.)

4. This is completely unrelated to babies now, moving onto the older children. It seems like the vanilla tribal masks have an alignment issue. I'm going to have to catch a screen next time a child tribal shows up with one on, but basically it's almost identical to the Thin body type clothing issue I and another user had mentioned... except in this case, the tribal mask on a child pawn is rendered at adult proportions/positioning. Seems to only happen when, once again, same type of material for same type of apparel piece is shared between different pawns of different ages (child/adult).

That's pretty much all I've come across so far. Nothing too brutal, but definitely worth balancing a few things for future updates of this.

AlexandritePhoenix

The real genius of this mod is the comedic value, even when little things aren't working properly.  Rabid toddlers attacking the pets and destroying furniture are hilarious for some reason.

Dargaron

So, is there a console command/save edit to make sure a colonist gets pregnant on a certain date? I'd like to make it so that any new children are born on the first of a Quadrum so that I can keep track of their birthdays more easily. (More joy hours on a birthday, don't ya know.)