[1.3] Dubs Bad Hygiene | Mint Menus/Minimap | Paint Shop | Rimkit | Skylights

Started by Dubwise, January 02, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lorebot

Quote from: hellishinc on July 08, 2017, 01:11:11 AM
I'm also having these issues. I can not place the outlet anywhere. I've tried terraforming the ground to all sorts of tiles, from sand to dirt to fertilized soil. Nothing works.

I believe the issue most of us are having is that the sewage outlet can't be built on ground that can't hold heavy construction (ie mud, sand, etc...) for which we get the error 'The terrain here cannot support this' literally explaining that the terrain is not strong enough to hold up the construction. Alternatively there's also the 'needsRiver' error message which I believe means the sewage outlet can only be built over water that is connected to the edge of the map (ie a river or ocean) so as to simulate the water carrying the sewage away from the colony, if you were to dump tons of untreated sewage into a lake or pond you'd contaminate it and turn it into a cesspool of disease and death.

I don't have any major issue with either of these situations because they're relatively realistic. I do have a problem with the only alternative being the sewage treatment system that's part of the 2nd tier of research. There should be options for sewage disposal in the first tier that can be used on land without the need for a river or ocean. Septic systems have existed for almost 2 centuries now and even before that communities often used landfills to dispose of their human waste, digging large trenches or ditches and using lyme to mitigate the stench until the location was reasonably full and then completely burying the waste.

If something like a Septic Tank or Sewage Trench were added to the mod they could function very similarly to the Sewage Outlet just with less capacity for waste, thus needing more of them to be built for larger colonies.

hellishinc

Quote from: lorebot on July 08, 2017, 01:50:07 AM

I believe the issue most of us are having is that the sewage outlet can't be built on ground that can't hold heavy construction (ie mud, sand, etc...) for which we get the error 'The terrain here cannot support this' literally explaining that the terrain is not strong enough to hold up the construction.

Which is why I tried changing the ground to different types and still was unable to build the outlet. Ocean, sand changed to dirt/rockysoil/fertilesoil. I can build anything else on it, but not the outlet.

Canute

Quote from: hellishinc on July 08, 2017, 01:11:11 AM
I'm also having these issues. I can not place the outlet anywhere. I've tried terraforming the ground to all sorts of tiles, from sand to dirt to fertilized soil. Nothing works.
You can't terraform a terrain into river, and thats the only place its work.
I agree they should be able to play at any deep water tile.
Or the Tier 1 need an nonpowred water/sewage tank that creates burn barrels.

- An suggestion with the "night soil" i think it shouldn't be able to placed on ice.

lorebot

Quote from: hellishinc on July 08, 2017, 03:02:49 AM
Quote from: lorebot on July 08, 2017, 01:50:07 AM

I believe the issue most of us are having is that the sewage outlet can't be built on ground that can't hold heavy construction (ie mud, sand, etc...) for which we get the error 'The terrain here cannot support this' literally explaining that the terrain is not strong enough to hold up the construction.

Which is why I tried changing the ground to different types and still was unable to build the outlet. Ocean, sand changed to dirt/rockysoil/fertilesoil. I can build anything else on it, but not the outlet.

What's the error message you receive when you try to build it? Are you getting the terrain warning or the river warning? Does it change when you alter the ground? Depending on the mod you're using to do the terraforming work the original ground may just be getting covered up with a flooring that allows construction, but the sewage outlet may still be seeing the original ground beneath it and throwing the terrain error. Need more info to figure out exactly what's going on for you.

Canute

About the sewage outlet, i experiment abit around.
It is a 2x1 structure, one is the outlet, one is the "anchor". The outlet need to be into shallow moving water other water types don't work!! The anchor any none water tile, even marsh.
If you can't build plumbing pipes on a terrain, use the night soil terraform to change the terrain. Fecal slugde you can craft at the crafting spot.

dubwise56,
why did you gave Radiators a quality, they don't give any beauty. Or did i miss a function that get enhance by the quality ?

Edit:
Does anyone know if the solar heater works indoors under skylights ?

Mufflamingo

Quote from: Canute on July 09, 2017, 12:04:10 PM
About the sewage outlet, i experiment abit around.
It is a 2x1 structure, one is the outlet, one is the "anchor". The outlet need to be into shallow moving water other water types don't work!! The anchor any none water tile, even marsh.
If you can't build plumbing pipes on a terrain, use the night soil terraform to change the terrain. Fecal slugde you can craft at the crafting spot.

dubwise56,
why did you gave Radiators a quality, they don't give any beauty. Or did i miss a function that get enhance by the quality ?

Edit:
Does anyone know if the solar heater works indoors under skylights ?

Shallow moving water? You mean rivers?

EDIT: tested it on rivers and it works. Ponds, nope.
Bleeeee. . . . .

Canute

Like is said "moving" is the keyword, yes river only not ponds not ocean. Ocean got their own shallow oceanic water.

Der Failer

I'm getting this error every once in a while. No idea what is causing it.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Verse.GridsUtility.GetThingList (IntVec3 c, Verse.Map map) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.FilthMaker.MakeFilth (IntVec3 c, Verse.Map map, Verse.ThingDef filthDef, IEnumerable`1 sources, Boolean shouldPropagate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.FilthMaker.MakeFilth (IntVec3 c, Verse.Map map, Verse.ThingDef filthDef, Int32 count) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at DubsBadHygiene.Need_Bladder.crapPants () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at DubsBadHygiene.Need_Bladder.NeedInterval () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.Pawn_NeedsTracker.NeedsTrackerTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Pawn.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.Planet.WorldPawns.WorldPawnsTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.Planet.World.WorldTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.TickManager.DoSingleTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick()
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate()
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay()
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

Log

faltonico

@Der Failer
The pawn is crapping its pants and no filth is generated?

Der Failer

@faltonico
From what i can tell this is not the case. Or if then there is also no thought generated, and if so it is hard to tell who is was.
I started a little test map, but i was unable to reproduce it.

At this point I'm guessing some weirdness with Hospitality or Zombieland. But really i got no idea.

Dal2kDemon

Is it possible to make prisoners use the toilet and bathtub? I placed them in the prison and it looks like the prisoners won't be able to use it.

Edit: Whoops! sorry I didn't see that my comm console block the way for the colonist to construct the pipe.

Fallatus

Recently been playing with this mod, Enjoying it rather well so far, And i've got some suggestions:

Plumbing: Something stinky this way comes.
After researching plumbing you get pipes, toilets, bathtubs, etc. But no real way of getting rid of waste unless you are close to a river. Which, As i didn't take this into account when i settled in a mountainous region, Is a bit of a problem.
This problem is easy to solve though, Just needing the addition of a septic tank (Possibly underground?), Which fills up as its used and has to be periodically emptied by pawns as it fills up, producing burn barrels.
((Minor nitpick, NEVER mix sewage and water pipes. It might look better if you added two additional, smaller pipes to the plumbing pipe's texture. Y'know, So it's safe for the kids.))
((Or you could just, Do the same as Redistheat does with its ducts, and separate water and sewage pipes. Whichever you prefer.))

Water, Pumps, and Purifiers: It's another suggestion!
This suggestion begins with a simple change, separating water into different types: Water, Hot water, And Dirty water. (N.B. Not to be confused with sewage.)
Water is first collected with Pumps, Or passively over time by collecting rain, and/or moisture, And then stored in tanks.
There's also the option of digging a well into the ground and pump the water up from underground aquifers. (The bane of fortresses everywhere.)
This water usually isn't very clean, with pawns having the chance of getting sick when washing themselves with dirty water. Toilets are less affected by this. To prevent disease, you're going to want purifiers.
Purifiers are used to turn dirty water into clean water. The basic versions require either a filter or direct sunlight to function, and will purify water over time.
After being purified, the water is safe to use and can be both stored or used directly. Water can be used cold, or be heated up into hot water with a boiler. Heated water is either stored in the boiler or separately.
Pawns gets more comfort from using showers and bathtubs that has access to both hot, and cold water, And get a mood buff if they use it after going a long time without any. (+72 hours or more.)
Toilets, Bathtubs, Showers, And sinks produce dirty water when they are being used, which can be reclaimed from the sewage.
((Hot water is only produced while a boiler is active (obviously). In addition, Dirty water can't be heated into hot water. Just think of the contaminants! Ugh.))

So hey, thanks for using your time on this mod so we can get a better experience. It's appreciated.
Good luck!

Dubwise

Oops it seems the forum decided to stop sending me notifications again for my threads so I'm sorry i haven't been replying to comments. that kept happening on my mars thread and i have no idea why and like usual i just assumed it was quiet on here. My last post was back on the 1st of June. If you were wondering whats going on I have updates planned for the hygiene mod and already have some stuff done, still spending all my time working on Rimatomics.

The real reason I'm here is I just uploaded a new version of Rimkit that has been on steam for a while, and i totally forgot to upload it here, but its Ok because there was a bug nobody told me about until just now, so i fixed it before uploading, the mod now includes a repair kit which lets you fix broken components. I added it because i had to install fluffy's breakdowns for some compatibility check, and didn't like the time my pawns spent struggling to maintain everything because i had a lot of small buildings like autodoors and hydroponics, and the extra lines on the inspect tab make some Rimatomics buildings overflow, so i made a little repair kit which when equipped causes broken components to spawn when a broken down building is repaired, the repair recipe is quick and only requires a little bit of steel so it doesn't totally eliminate the impact on resources, its optional and maybe someone will find it useful.

I'm going to read through all of the posts on here that i missed now to see if there are any questions that need answers, again sorry for the trouble

faltonico

Quote from: dubwise56 on July 30, 2017, 09:00:30 PM
... the mod now includes a repair kit which lets you fix broken components. ...
So it is no longer compatible with Fluffy's breakdowns?

Dubwise

Quote from: faltonico on July 30, 2017, 11:19:00 PM
Quote from: dubwise56 on July 30, 2017, 09:00:30 PM
... the mod now includes a repair kit which lets you fix broken components. ...
So it is no longer compatible with Fluffy's breakdowns?

If you are running both then it works exactly the same, if you fail to maintain and get a breakdown then they will still salvage the parts if they have the repair kit equipped, its not 100% and the chance is based on the same chance as repair success