[A16] Hygiene (2017-1-14)

Started by System.Linq, January 09, 2017, 01:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

System.Linq

This mod adds a hygiene need to humanlike pawns. Over the course of the day it will decrease, and they will find a building to satisfy it. Pawns who are squeaky clean (90%+ hygiene) will get a mood bonus, and a pawn's hygiene determines how likely they are to pick up filth and track it around. Pawns with very low hygiene will be increasingly unhappy. Pawns resting medically will be washed by doctors.

There are two hygiene-fulfilling buildings: the bathtub, and the shower. The bathtub takes longer to bathe in, but gives your pawns more comfort and looks nicer. The shower is much faster, and smaller, and won't give your pawns an unhappy thought for bathing outside, but requires electricity.

You must design your colony's bathing facilities carefully. Colonists will prioritize showers over bathtubs, but will not use them if they are in a prisoner-marked area or another colonist's bedroom. Pawns will take their clothes off when they shower, and will seek out new clothes afterward, so place clothes nearby so they don't have to do the walk of shame to the stockpile. Prisoners should pick their clothes back up off the floor. Pawns also don't want to be seen by others when they're bathing, and will get an unhappy thought if observed.

Art by Shinzy!

Screenshots

Download
I recommend you download it from the Steam Workshop to receive automatic updates. Visit the Steam Workshop page to subscribe here.

If you do not have RimWorld on Steam, but you have a forums account, you can also download it manually through the attachment. Note that the mod requires HugsLib to function.

License
Can include in modpacks with credit. Can reuse/edit code with credit.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Hydromancerx

System.Linq

Tgr

Hi Psychology,

I really love your Psych mod. I imagine given how diligently you have updated that there will be more coming to this mod, but currently the Dub mod is more feature complete. If your intent with this is to keep it simpler than Dub's hygiene implementation, it might be worth considering releasing a Dub Hygiene compatible version of any future Psychology releases which add hygiene-related traits - it's probably *relatively* simple to tweak which needs the traits are related to right?

Tgr

That said I don't know if you plan on adding Psychology traits linked to specific moods or behaviors inherent to this mod that might not be so easy to modify.

System.Linq

This is a standalone mod and probably won't get anything more than what it has now, except bugfixes. I made this mod before Dubs's mod was released, and if you'd rather use his then use his. I doubt I will tie it into Psychology, and I strongly discourage using the two together since they basically do the same thing.

Dubs's mod is not more "feature complete" than this mod. This mod is 100% feature complete, it simply has a different scope than Dubs's mod.

Tgr

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest Dub's was *better*. It certainly adds more colony management overhead, which isn't everyone's cup of tea. I was mostly wondering about Psychology because you went to the effort of adding extra thoughts about being seen while showering and taking off clothes etc., which Dub's doesn't do but I could see branching into Psychology for traits like prude, etc.

System.Linq

Quote from: TREH on January 09, 2017, 03:14:53 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest Dub's was *better*. It certainly adds more colony management overhead, which isn't everyone's cup of tea. I was mostly wondering about Psychology because you went to the effort of adding extra thoughts about being seen while showering and taking off clothes etc., which Dub's doesn't do but I could see branching into Psychology for traits like prude, etc.

I might add some hooks into Psychology's traits, yes, but the mod will not require Psychology and will work fine without it. And Psychology will not have any Hygiene-specific traits.

Grishnerf

i hope they can have sex under the shower, otherwise this is useless :D
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

System.Linq

Quote from: Grishnerf on January 09, 2017, 03:22:17 AM
i hope they can have sex under the shower, otherwise this is useless :D

I considered making it so pawns aren't bothered by being seen bathing by their lovers, but it was too difficult to do without detouring anything. If I ever change that, I will probably make it so that pawns can do lovin' in them.

IHateRegistering

The additional micromanagement of stockpiles is something that is frightening, to say the least. Especially clothes since they don't stack and you need to make sure that everyone has a full set of clothes ready after showering or bathing or wait until someone hauls them to a nearby stockpile since pawns won't pick up equipment by themselves if it isn't located on a stockpile.

Goldenpotatoes

Yeah, taking clothes off to bathe makes sense but forcing them to grab a new set seems really unnecessary, especially if clothes don't actually get dirty and it's just to simulate it

System.Linq

Just put a clothes stockpile nearby like in the pictures. You don't really even have to, there's no penalty for them walking naked to the stockpile except that they have the naked mood penalty for longer.

Mostly they grab a new set because they won't wear clothes that aren't on a stockpile.

IHateRegistering

Quote from: Psychology on January 09, 2017, 07:36:39 AM
Just put a clothes stockpile nearby like in the pictures. You don't really even have to, there's no penalty for them walking naked to the stockpile except that they have the naked mood penalty for longer.

Mostly they grab a new set because they won't wear clothes that aren't on a stockpile.

Yeah but clothes lying around on the floor will trigger the 'do until you have x' work order since they're not considered in your possession if they aren't located on a stockpile. I do find the clothing system frustrating enough as it is, with the whole tattered apparel and stockpile issues the game already has. Also if you have a smaller colony and the work is piling up there likely won't be enough haulers around to quickly grab the dropped stuff and haul it to the designated stockpile.

Which then might lead to a pawn sewing together a new set of clothes rather than pick up the stuff that is lying next door.

System.Linq

Quote from: IHateRegistering on January 09, 2017, 07:52:04 AM
Quote from: Psychology on January 09, 2017, 07:36:39 AM

Yeah but clothes lying around on the floor will trigger the 'do until you have x' work order since they're not considered in your possession if they aren't located on a stockpile. I do find the clothing system frustrating enough as it is, with the whole tattered apparel and stockpile issues the game already has. Also if you have a smaller colony and the work is piling up there likely won't be enough haulers around to quickly grab the dropped stuff and haul it to the designated stockpile.

Which then might lead to a pawn sewing together a new set of clothes rather than pick up the stuff that is lying next door.

You could try leaving a low-priority clothing stockpile where the colonist will drop the clothes.