Shitty Colonists

Started by Hayhorse, January 16, 2017, 09:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayhorse

Am I the only one that has noticed that Casandra gives really shit colonists? Like, 1 or 2 in crafting or art with skilled and dumb labor disabled, so effectively everything is disabled except maybe art, then they are a pacifist or have 0 in shooting/melee. I am kind of surprised no one has talked about this and also surprised no one has a made a mod that the no dumb labor/skilled labor colonists stop appearing.

Trylobyte

I suspect it's more that you remember the really terrible colonists.  I've started dozens of colonies and still remember the two or three times I've gotten truly useless people who are either social time bombs or literal time bombs.

dv

Reverse order.

2) Those mods do exist. Seriously. Just look a little harder - you should have no trouble finding them.
1) Yes. I don't think it's just Cassandra, I think it's more of the RNG. Every colonist is good at something, usually, but it's very rare that you get one who's good at things you want them to be doing.

dogthinker

The terrible colonists make the story richer. There's nothing quite like crash landing with a demented, arthritic, cataract ridden, trigger-happy grandma to protect you.

Jugg

I could be wrong because i haven't tested, but I also think the difficulty affects the quality of colonists you get too. I'm currently playing on Intense:Cassandra and I've certainly noticed lower quality colonists.

lighthoof

There are no bad colonists. There is a colony manager, who can't find a niche for them in the colony :P

Trylobyte

Quote from: lighthoof on January 17, 2017, 02:36:27 AM
There are no bad colonists. There is a colony manager, who can't find a niche for them in the colony :P
I see your claim and raise you an Abrasive Chemical-Fascinated Pyromaniac Convent Child/Sheriff.

Headshotkill

I haven't read a word from OP's post but I do like his use of Times New Roman.

lighthoof

Quote from: Trylobyte on January 17, 2017, 02:47:54 AM
I see your claim and raise you an Abrasive Chemical-Fascinated Pyromaniac Convent Child/Sheriff.
Even pacifist with every skill except combat ones blocked is a good use for a colony. Voluntary donor, perhaps ? :D

Catastrophy

They all good. I used one on suicide caravan to start the war with a tribal faction. I want those raids. I'm addicted to raids.

jmababa

the reason I use phobe chillax not only long break times from raid, visitors, passerbys and other events you also have better colonists

Hayhorse

Quote from: Trylobyte on January 16, 2017, 11:55:26 PM
I suspect it's more that you remember the really terrible colonists.  I've started dozens of colonies and still remember the two or three times I've gotten truly useless people who are either social time bombs or literal time bombs.

Strangely colonists I get are both social and actual time bombs, I don't trust them with guns because neurotic/nudist on ice sheet doesn't go well.

Quote from: dv on January 16, 2017, 11:55:44 PM
Reverse order.

2) Those mods do exist. Seriously. Just look a little harder - you should have no trouble finding them.
1) Yes. I don't think it's just Cassandra, I think it's more of the RNG. Every colonist is good at something, usually, but it's very rare that you get one who's good at things you want them to be doing.

2) Do you know of any mods, or keywords to search on the releases fourms.
1) I have shit luck. Somehow a bullet managed to brain dead a colonist JUST after a quick save even though he head a helmet.

What if all niches are filled by a guy that can at least haul, clean and has like 15 artistic/crafting with full bionics? Braindead colonists aren't really useful for me since they take to long to clean. Then everyone flips out with *unnecessary* cannibalism so....

Quote from: Headshotkill on January 17, 2017, 02:57:48 AM
I haven't read a word from OP's post but I do like his use of Times New Roman.

Thank you.

Quote from: jmababa on January 17, 2017, 07:12:05 AM
the reason I use phobe chillax not only long break times from raid, visitors, passerbys and other events you also have better colonists

I do want colonists, but not colonists that mentally implode into a unrecoverable state when they see a corpse because they keep wandering out to the raider pile when dazed. Also phobe, I have yet to use, and is apparently way to easy.

KingKnee

I currently have a nudist who commands 20+ bears and is has 19 in mining.

mrm

I am trying to avoid useless colonists. If they come from a crashed pod, i strip them down, take they stuff and let them die. Those "escaping from raiders" ones are different, you can't tell if its good or bad. Well if its is some kind of a teacher, i know its bad. But even if its a sheriff, it can be also pretty useless. If i have few of them in my colony, i just treat them different. Babs the pacifist, Johnson the noblist (he had 21 research at some point) but hes pretty useless, he just wanders around because he can't do shit, but i keep him only because he has a pretty decent shooting. But those crappy colonists have only herbal med, they are last for rescue, in case of Johnson, first i haul his weapon and let him bleed for a while, and if someone wants to rescue him, ok, but i never prioritize such thing. The silly thing is, he always gets the smallest wounds, he is resistant to diseases, etc, even if i send him alone to kill a timberwolf. He just wont die... Now, when he did all research he could, i think i send him alone to attack raiders, maybe they kidnap him, and at some point he will come back as a raider and i can shot hes useless head off with pleasure :)

If its Cassandra, and a colony is small, she will throw a bunch of escape pods to increase the population. Its the best moment to avoid useless colonists.

Sola

Many people bring this up, actually.  You also don't need to keep crap colonists.
Prisoner?  Don't recruit.
Wanderer?  Euthanize.
Escape pod?  Let 'em bleed out.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0