Thrumbo vs Short Bow (No killbox)

Started by Spdskatr, March 15, 2017, 04:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spdskatr

Hey

I'm here to share how Thrumbos can be cheesed using little resources; a door, a few chunks and walls. I'm just here to raise awareness for it and possibly share some laughs. Yes, it's worse than a killbox.

I know I posted this a month or 2 ago on "Exploit strategies" but I feel like it will gain more attention here.

Enjoy :)

P.S. There are still quite a few flaws:

• Colonists might go on a mental break because they're too tired/hungry.
  • Don't let random colonists wander around the nearby area to "clean blood"
I've also seen that the thrumbo will sometimes lose interest after a 7-8 hours of going back and forth. I guess that's a plus, it will bleed to death by itself and you can let your colonist get some sleep
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

Beider

Your image doesn't work for other people.

But that being said I can pretty much imagine what you did as that is a fairly normal strat to use vs thrumbos. Can be made more efficient by placing a single door on the side of your killbox, thrumbo walks in, you go through door, thrumbo walks out of killbox, go through door into killbox... repeat.

Spdskatr

Quote from: Beider on March 15, 2017, 06:32:13 AM
Your image doesn't work for other people.

But that being said I can pretty much imagine what you did as that is a fairly normal strat to use vs thrumbos. Can be made more efficient by placing a single door on the side of your killbox, thrumbo walks in, you go through door, thrumbo walks out of killbox, go through door into killbox... repeat.
Hmm... I also posted this gif on Discord so I might use that link. I might put it somewhere else later, somewhere more permanent...

Also yes, there are other ways to cheese thrumbos, but this one is the best imo because off the miniscule amount of resources it requires.
My mods

Jarwy

It would be nice if severy wounded animals paniced and ran to the edge of the map (though not out of the map, because of hunting frustrations).

XeoNovaDan

Let's hope this one day gets fixed... possibly a change of how hostiles handle pathing cost, but then that could still be flipped another way...

b0rsuk

You can also use wind turbines as embrasures. Pawns can't move through them, but they let most bullets through. Repair is free. Thrumbo is too stupid to destroy the wind turbine or move out of range.

Stormfox

Is this really a practical effort for not that much of gain, though?

Besides, how does this classify as "no killbox"? It is a very specialized anti-single-animal-killbox.

Spdskatr

Quote from: Stormfox on March 17, 2017, 01:21:25 PM
Is this really a practical effort for not that much of gain, though?

Besides, how does this classify as "no killbox"? It is a very specialized anti-single-animal-killbox.

Well a killbox in my perspective is any area with a large amount of turrets / colonist fighters positioned strategically so that the enemy invaders enter a "choke point". There is definitely no choke point here, so that is why I'm calling it not a killbox.

Also, this device is mainly used for killing of thrumbos very early game with very little gear and without putting your colonist's life at stake too much. So early game or on sea ice, this structure is quite overpowered. (I know there are no rock chunks in sea ice, slag chunks work fine as well)
My mods

Greep

Well, for on thing, you can just do this with rooms and repair the door the thrumbo attacks, even a level 0 can repair the door fast enough for the thrumbo to get bored.  That has the bonus that if the colonist gets tired/hungry they can just wait till the thrumbo loses aggro.

Second, it's funny, but who would actually do this in a real game?  I've seen thrumbos take over a hundred of turret/charge rifle shots before going into shock.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Spdskatr

Quote from: Greep on March 19, 2017, 04:33:13 AM
Well, for on thing, you can just do this with rooms and repair the door the thrumbo attacks, even a level 0 can repair the door fast enough for the thrumbo to get bored.  That has the bonus that if the colonist gets tired/hungry they can just wait till the thrumbo loses aggro.

Second, it's funny, but who would actually do this in a real game?  I've seen thrumbos take over a hundred of turret/charge rifle shots before going into shock.
The door strategy is a good point. It does still require a certain amount of skill though, a thrumbo can hit quite fast, requiring a level 5 or 6 in construction. I just think this is better in that you only need simple micromanagement, rather than undrafting, repairing, keeping them at the door, take shot.

Also the best thing about this strategy is the thrumbo takes damage slowly, enough for it to bleed out for quite a while and thus taking less shots to down/kill. I've done it in game playing sea ice (I also tried door strategy but I like this one better)
My mods

Canute

Well, this is basicly a killbox. Ok you just use 1 pawn at your picture, but you could use more too. Turrets are allways optional in a killbox anyway.
And when you add a 2. row you can speed up the killing.