[A16] Melee Skill Rebalance [Updated 3/04/2017]

Started by oreganor, March 23, 2017, 01:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr_Zhivago

Still not fully compatible with Defensive Positions eh?

oreganor

Mmm... Nobody has reported issues since I released the version (1.3.2) that was tested with it. Which kind of issues you have with both activated?
Contributions:
Melee Skill Rebalance

Dr_Zhivago

The option to switch attack type. Using kill, capture, stun or disarm doesn't appear as an option when I have Defensive positions installed. There is only the Defensive position button. When I uninstall Defensive poisitions, your options appear.

oreganor

Weird, since 1.3.2 both buttons should appear. A possible explanation is that a new release of DP has changed something that affects how I do the "patch".

Can you tell me which versions of this mod and DP mod are you using? Latest on both?
Contributions:
Melee Skill Rebalance

Canute

And did you tried to move the modload order maybe that can help too.

oreganor

QuoteAnd did you tried to move the modload order maybe that can help too.

I did an specific effort to patch the detour in a way that mod load order wouldn't be affected by it... An user could even load MeleeRebalance BEFORE hugslib (The requirement for DP... And the responsible to really loadup defs and detours) and still work as it should.

Not at home ATM (But reading DP changelog, doesn't seem it has changed since I did my compatibility) and still awaiting for version confirmation by Zhivago... But another possibility is that a 3rd modification is trying to access the button adding code, which will be a permanent "compatibility menace" :) because it's a very attractive spot to add command buttons for mods that want to provide users with extra orders for their pawns.

But to provide help to Zhivago, after what I learned with the "winrar" problem... I better go 1 step at a time :).
Contributions:
Melee Skill Rebalance

Dr_Zhivago

I do run a rather extensive mod collection. I will do some more testing and then give you an indepth response.

oreganor

QuoteI do run a rather extensive mod collection. I will do some more testing and then give you an indepth response.

Much appreciated, I would like to fix as much incompatibilities as possible so users can integrate this mod in their prefered gamestyle.
Contributions:
Melee Skill Rebalance

XeoNovaDan

I like a developer that's committed to their user-base :)

Dr_Zhivago

For reference, I run a large mod collection. It's called "Rimworld++ 2.0"

Here is a link to the mod collection I use: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902774116

Here is a link the mod load order I use: https://gist.github.com/DrZhivago1/e1c764e46de33748421e803e624ba53e

Here are the steps I have taken in testing your mod:

I deleted your mod from my mod folder.
I then downloaded your mod, version "Melee_Rebalance_1.4.0.zip" from the releases section on your github.
I put your mod into my mod folder and proceeded to test different load orders.
I made it last in my load order, I put it underneath architect sense, I placed it directly above "Defensive Positions", and I placed it directly below Defensive Positions.
For each of these 4 tests I always restarted the Rimworld client, started a new game, and your mod was the only mod being moved in load order. Your melee options did not appear.
I then deactivated "Defensive Positions" and tried to test load orders.
I loaded your mod in the same load order as "Defensive Positions", I loaded it last, and I loaded it underneath Architect Sense.
For each of these 3 tests I always restarted the Rimworld client, started a new game, and your mod was the only mod being moved in load order. For each of these 3 tests your melee options appeared and were useable.
Throughout all of my testing, I never got any new error logs.

Canute

Ok no new error logs,
but the question was, do you got both buttons, the one from Mellee rebalanced and the one from Def. Positions ?

Dr_Zhivago

Quote from: Canute on April 19, 2017, 12:52:10 PM
Ok no new error logs,
but the question was, do you got both buttons, the one from Mellee rebalanced and the one from Def. Positions ?

Quote from: Dr_Zhivago on April 19, 2017, 12:36:34 PMYour melee options did not appear.

Only when I removed "Defensive Positions" did the melee options appear. The defense positions button and the melee attack type button never appeared together.

oreganor

Thanks for the detailed test and the exhaustive mod list, Dr_Zhivago, I will get it and investigate the issue.
Contributions:
Melee Skill Rebalance

oreganor

Still can't reproduce the situation. A couple of questions, Dr_Zhivago:

- With Defensive Possitions on AND Melee Rebalance on, when you draft a pawn with a ranged weapon, you get the "Allow firing" button? It you don't, can you check if you get it when you DISABLE Melee Rebalance and keep Defensive Possitions on?

- Can you open the debug log RIGHT after starting RIMWORLD (But BEFORE loading your colony) with BOTH mods on? A series of yellow lines starting with "Melee Rebalance:" like the following should appear:

Melee Rebalance: Defensive Possitions Mod active. Adapting Detours.

If they do appear, can you post the entire log somewhere so I can take a look at it? Or report back IF NOTHING related to Melee Rebalance appears in the initial log?
Contributions:
Melee Skill Rebalance

Dr_Zhivago

-With Defensive Positions AND Melee Rebalance active, drafted pawns with ranged weapons have the "allow firing" button.

-Here is a link to my debug log RIGHT after starting Rimworld and BEFORE loading my colony, with BOTH mods active: https://gist.github.com/HugsLibRecordKeeper/19c2e5019ea9f4c367ee93e4803a4a29

Your mod appears to have no logs upon startup.

Couple questions for you:
-Did you install the entire mod collection I linked above?
-If so, did you load the steam mods, external mods, and mod config from a completely vanilla Rimworld?

Edit
The debug log posted above is made by doing this:
-Using an entirely vanilla rimworld
-Installing the mod collection I posted above (ie: subscribing to steam mods, installing external mods, and installing the mod config)
-I then installed your mod and loaded it directly beneath Defensive Positions, as you can see in the debug log.