Rimworld Trooper [SST Mod]

Started by ChaosChronicler, March 27, 2017, 10:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosChronicler

First I would like to acknowledge that there is already a thread started by SundayTuseday. The reason for this thread is that I would like to start modding and thought it be easy to do a weapons/armor mod that can be expanded on. That also I want to dust off the old artistic skills I let waste for a good five years.

Goals: introduce the weapons, and armor of the movie Starship Troopers including squeals.
Long Term: Structures, static* Dropships to pretty up your outpost, and BUGS!

(*) There is a great mod by Cpt.Ohu that is working on flying ships. I might ask him how he does it, but that's a long way

Types of weapons: There aren't a lot of weapons admittedly, but very iconic. Wouldn't be a SST Mod without the Morita series of assault rifles and it's variants. Along with the Morita I will also work on some of the weapons seen in the television series Roughnecks: Starship Trooper Chronicles.

Morita Rifle:
Carbine-Basic automatic that has a slight shorter range than it's bigger cousins, but can still blow off warrior limbs all the same.
Long-Standard issued to all M.I. the Morita Long has a better range than the carbine and has under-slung options ranging from shotguns, G.L's, and micro-R.P.G's! (idea came from this artist: http://wolff60.deviantart.com/gallery/11968675/Starship-Troopers )
Morita D.M.R/Sniper-Semi-auto variant used to pick out targets with accuracy, but suffers from low R.P.M and aim time.

P.A issued Morita III-Seen in the animated movie Invasion this version has more power and kick behind it. It can have both a U.G.L and mini-gun.
Morita III LGM-Ice Blonds weapon of choice, slight longer range than the standard Morita III and more control than the mini-gun.
Morita XXX-Trig's custom made sniper variant, this thing is both anti-material and anti-tankerbug.

Armor: From flack vests to power suits the M.I uses it all. A few words on naming, in Mongoose Publishing O.O.P wargame they gave an actual name to the armor seen in the first three movies as the Raider Light Armor.

Raider Light Armor-The Raider is made up of a high impact flack armor covering the torso and back along with a tactical helmet. Underneath is a well insulated undersuit made up of a durable material.

Undersuit-This will come in both pants and upper suit along with variants such as the purple long sleeved, Rico's black Tee, and a more grey colored version.

Tac Helmet-this too will come in variants such as the standard, red and blue team, and visor.

Medic-This has it's own upper suit and flack armor along with a cap and backpack. Have some ideas for special abilities to it.

Ammo pack-Seen on Corp. Birdie before having her arm burn off, I'm thinking about having it give a weapon bonus on warm up and cool down. Heck even so far as giving it to pawns close to it that bonus.

FedNet pack-Seen on the ill fated cameraman this will be cosmetic (till I find an interesting use to it)

Comm Pack-Cosmetic comms pack, have ideas for it but none look promising

Power Suit-Seen in Invasion the power suit is a better form of power armor. Made up of an undersuit and outer armor. There will be variations to it such as:
-Clean version
-A-01 Version
-K-12 version
-Shock Jock's medic helmet
-Trig's Helmet
-"Shark Face" helmet for both clean and K-12

So that's what's on the drawing board for now. Going to work on art assets first while I read more on XML coding and C#. But any thought and questions would be appreciated

ChaosChronicler

Update: Spent a lot of my time sketching on paper... only for the scanner to start acting up. So I decided to just jump head first into vector drawings. One hour doing this (90% of the time just messing with it) I think I nailed a basic shape for the front.   

Any suggestions are welcomed

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

jimthenoob

looks cool. are you planning on doing any custom events. like bug waves and things?

ChaosChronicler

Quote from: jimthenoob on March 29, 2017, 01:02:58 PM
looks cool. are you planning on doing any custom events. like bug waves and things?

Bugs are the last thing on my mind right now but thanks. Right now I'm just starting small, just spent the last hour and a half working on the armor. Making custom shapes is proving a hassle  :-\

jimthenoob

It can be, so I thought I would help you along. I got bored today and made up an assault rifle texture you can use if you want.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pkee1w1i1kswp3a/AAC34mSPNn9uqYVHBKAHxg5ea?dl=0

ChaosChronicler

Ooo nice. Thanks for that. I would have preferred starting this project with my sketches of the armor since pen and graphite give me more control. A mouse doesn't give me much room for error. Anyways here's some crappy phone pic 

ChaosChronicler

okay wanted to post this last night but I thought I should cool it with the posts.

Anyways started to play around with some of the other body types and did the basic back area of the armor. Again these are just the basic shapes. Now interesting enough I thought the body types I imported would be the same size to one another. Matching up their boundary box this turned out untrue :P

Also imported the shirt image and found I should have the neck line lower. Keep forgetting that the pawns and items are at an angle for the top down view.

Smexy_Vampire

i was thinking of something like this as i re watched the cgi tv show

ChaosChronicler

Quote from: Smexy_Vampire on March 31, 2017, 05:48:39 AM
i was thinking of something like this as i re watched the cgi tv show
Man that was a fun show waking up on a Saturday morning eating a bowl of fruity pebbles and watching bugs getting splattered.

I will at some point work on the weapons and other neat things from it. Right now still having a hard time just trying to fit the basic armor shapes on. Might have to drop the side straps on the front and back and have it only show up on the side view.

And I want to ask anyone here how I should stat out the weapons. I already have a rough sheet for what I want in range, damage, accuracy, bursts, still trying to work out ticks for warm-up/cool-down and all that.

jimthenoob

i would say start with the stats from the base AR and dial it up from there if needed (or down).  once its release with your range and burst settings we can try it and give better feedback.

ChaosChronicler

Good news, I found an app that works like a scanner. Potential good news Inkscape has a convert bitmap to vector tool. Going to experiment with this.

update: so I might have to ink the sketches for a better image when tracing from bitmap :P

ChaosChronicler

Update: Bitmap to vector is a bust, but work on the carbine is going well enough. Been bouncing between this and personal life so that's why there wasn't anything in the past what five days? I guess that's what to expect when working on a hobby. Anyways pic below

jimthenoob

looking good, still missing the mag though?

ChaosChronicler

Quote from: jimthenoob on April 06, 2017, 04:53:55 PM
looking good, still missing the mag though?
and part of the stock  :P

no doing that separate since I want to focus on the main body of the carbine. It will be the base for the others.

Also I'm still trying to wrap my head around coding but does anyone know if it is possible to put two attributes on a weapon? Like one is the assault rifle part and the other shot gun? Was thinking that if it was the pawn would automatically fire the morita in combat but the player can manually set it for the pawn to switch to the underslung part of the weapon (set target with _ weapon)

Quick update pic 

ChaosChronicler

Been doing this on and off but I think I'm getting use to doing vector graphics again.
Also quick question would you guys want me to include the gun emplacements from Whisky Outpost?