[B18] Vanilla-Friendly Weapon Expansion v2.4b (22nd Jan 2018)

Started by XeoNovaDan, April 04, 2017, 06:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want any of the following weapons to be renamed? (ending 10/4/2017 @ 3PM GMT)

Marksman Rifle -> Battle Rifle
3 (25%)
Fifty Cal Rifle -> Heavy Sniper
2 (16.7%)
Vintage Assault Rifle -> Automatic Rifle
4 (33.3%)
They're OK as they are
6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: April 12, 2017, 12:06:17 PM

XeoNovaDan

Multilingual Support
日本語に翻訳された (by Namsan)

Compatibility
VFWE is compatible with Combat Extended RC2 for Beta 18 and the current version of the 'A18' branch. The patch is integrated within Combat Extended itself; no additional external patch is needed.

This mod can safely be added to existing savegames, but there may be issues removing it from existing savegames.

Download
GitHub
Steam

Like this mod? Check out my other mods here!

Overview
The Vanilla-Friendly Weapon Expansion (or simply VFWE) aims to increase the variety of weapons in RimWorld while maintaining an overall consistent balance and aesthetic, as well as having as little functional redundancy as possible. Most weapons that this pack introduces are mid-tier, but there are a few outliers both above and below.

To be slightly more precise, VFWE adds one new melee weapon; two neolithic ranged weapons; four conventional firearms; one high-tech weapon and two mechanoid-only weapons.

Weapon Document
Weapon Stats

Regarding weapon suggestions, I'm unlikely to accept any since pretty much every niche that the vanilla combat system can possibly accommodate has been filled - suggestions must be distinct but also balanced, and nothing that requires C# since I can't program in said language.

Credits
Marnador for the RimWorld-style font.
Namsan for the Japanese Translation.
Shotgunfrenzy for the 'Combat Extended Compatible' text on the thumbnail.

License
As is standard with my mods: you may include this mod in a mod pack, and you may derive from this, but please inform me if you're doing so either through here or Ludeon Forums, and give credit where credit's due.

XeoNovaDan

v1.0.1 is upon us already!

- Vintage Assault Rifle changes
    - Accuracy: 73% - 50% - 33% - 22% -> 77% - 62% - 41% - 22%
    - Damage: 11 -> 10
- Infosheet now available for viewing

Alistaire

Looking good. The sprites are nice first attempts at replicating the vanilla style, though I would personally colour-grab the wooden stocks for the weapons from vanilla and keep them consistent between all of your weapons. It may not seem like it, but the vanilla weapons have a well-defined colour scheme which your sprites massively benefit from using. It's no good having each one of your weapons come from a slightly different reference with slightly different lighting and ending up with weapons in every shade of the rainbow so to speak.

I like the criticism on weapon packs in general. In my experience it's impossible to 1) maintain a small weapon pack and 2) accept new weapon requests. We'll see how you manage :P

XeoNovaDan

Woo, didn't expect feedback from the author of the colossus that is RimFire, thanks :)

I'll bear what you've said in mind, perhaps try to compromise between absolute vanilla and slight deviation for that slight 'uniqueness'. Already got a first set of requests on the sub which I'm currently considering and picking apart to see which will be the most suitable.

Swat_Raptor

I like that you plan to make your mod well balanced and try to tie the stats and mechanics to those present in the Vanilla Game, mods made with this philosophy are the most attractive to myself.

The quarter staff sounds like it would be a good policing / subduing weapon. Very few mods which actually add melee weapons, another plus in my book.

Name seems to be a possible contradiction in terms, Vanilla Friendly + Expansion, but since the term Vanilla friendly doesn't have a common and clear meaning it just very ambiguous. Carefully Balanced Weapon Expansion, perhaps just doesn't roll off the tongue as well.

but I'm of the camp that if your mod adds items or features, your adding content and it thus makes the game no longer vanilla.

XeoNovaDan

This is pretty much, as you said: an addition so the game indeed isn't vanilla, but it's balanced around vanilla stuff to almost blend in. Vanilla-friendly weapon expansion was almost the first thing that came to mind, as it's a weapon expansion... and it's vanilla-friendly

Lethe

"Guided Pulse SMG" (SMG is no doubt short for 'Sexual Missile Gratifier'.)

Between the name and the weapon's graphics I'm left to think that this weapon also serves double duty at night for the loverless pawn.

I'm somewhat seriously thinking about creating a buff for this gun when equipped by a single pawn. Buff: Tool assisted self lovin' +6 for 10 or 12 hours after a single pawn who has this weapon equipped goes to bed [most of it would be slept away, so it wouldn't impact the game too much, imho].

Man, if this mod released on the 4/1 it'd be 1000% needful to get that in there.

XeoNovaDan

Hmm, I might want to slightly alter the texture if it really looks that phallic... I initially wanted twin energy cells, and as you can imagine that would've looked worse.

I'm taking a slight break for now, so we're talking at least a week until the next version releases, which I may have slightly tweaked the texture by then. Your post was an amusing read though

XeoNovaDan

Updated to v1.1!

Overview of changes:
    - No renaming was done (too few votes on poll)
    - Two new weapon additions
    - Minor tweaks to vintage assault rifle and marksman rifle stats
    - Minor texture enhancements

XeoNovaDan

A spreadsheet is now up for viewing which compares the stats of each weapon included in this mod with all vanilla weapons (bar ranged weapons with forced miss radius)

XeoNovaDan

Updated to v1.2! (23/5/2017) - exclusive to A17 because of the new XML patching feature that it has

Changes:
- New weapon: Repeater Rifle (Winchester Model 1873), replaces the Marksman Rifle (SR-25).
- Various re-balances carried out on certain weapons
- 'Woody' weapons have even darker wood texture, almost identical to vanilla weapons' shade now.
- 'Slinger' pawn type that uses the sling; no more archers using slings!
- Patch to increase the commonality of short bows in tribal raids, as great bows are much more common in vanilla - and nearly 2x as powerful
- VFWE ranged weapons that used wood in their recipes (e.g. sawn-off shotgun) no longer use it
- Quarterstaff buffed to keep in line with A17's lower-tier weapon buffs

Note: This version won't hit the Steam Workshop until A17 officially releases.

XeoNovaDan

Made a new spreadsheet so that the data is much easier to compare, and I've also thrown all possible weapons that I can think of in there too.

XeoNovaDan

Updated to v1.3! (10/06/2017)

Changes:
- Two new mechanoid-only weapons: Charge Scattergun and Radiation Cannon
- Various weapon tweaks and small re-balances
- Infosheet is fully up-to-date
- Spreadsheet has been renovated and has more depth
- Strawpoll for a CE version of VFWE.

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

XeoNovaDan

Updated to v2.0! (17/06/2017)

Changes:
- Compatibility patch with CE released (temporary until CE 1.2 releases)
- Guided Pulse SMG has a new texture; no longer that weird, phallic texture