Official: New content in progress for Alpha 17

Started by Tynan, April 10, 2017, 07:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

QuoteTons and tons of rebalancing and detailed redesign to make skills matter more, make the economy more coherent and balanced, make animal farming for meat viable, make cannibalism a bit less ho-hum, make surgery not absurd, make room stats matter in a sensible way, make storyteller incidents more varied, and so on.

Less meat and leather types ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Rulin

A17 makes me very excited. Sounds really good! Looking forward to the next dev-video(s).

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Tynan on April 11, 2017, 04:39:55 AM
  • This thread is for discussing the blog post
  • This thread is to discuss the update
  • For open-ended suggestions discussion please hit the Suggestions forum
Since open-ended discussion has been forbidden, I will make this a statement of facts not to be argued with. As a side-note, The word discussion doesn't seem to be clearly defined.

Discussion of blog post on A17 economics
Notice the complete lack of open-ended discussion opportunity: This is a bug report on the conceptual model of currency in Rimworld A17.

Money is created and destroyed by selling it into service and buying it back.

If I buy ten steel from a faction, then I have also created a debt to that faction for ten steel. Money is merely the token that represents that credit for ten steel, and at any time they may come and give me that token demanding that ten steel. Then I am bound to give them ten steel or it's equivalent in merchandise in exchange for the token. Which I may then destroy if that is my wish.

But if I tell them sorry I don't honor my promises so here's 8 steal instead, then it becomes a military action instead of a political one, and thus the phrase heads are going to roll.

On the topic of constructive criticism and censorship of input, do take care that self-defense doesn't create tunnel vision.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Jaredmatt200

Since there are rivers would you consider putting in the fishing industry into actual effect because it offers more meat and leather as well as a production building.

Shinzy

Quote from: AngleWyrm on April 11, 2017, 12:10:44 PM
Quote from: Tynan on April 11, 2017, 04:39:55 AM
  • This thread is for discussing the blog post
  • This thread is to discuss the update
  • For open-ended suggestions discussion please hit the Suggestions forum
Since open-ended discussion has been forbidden-

Open-ended discussions are of course allowed
but if you have suggestions based on known a17 features (say, pit stops for the roads)
They are better taken into their very own threads in the suggestions forum where it's easier for the dev to come back later to actually find the suggestion and any relevant discussion about it instead it being all littered around this thread

Lightzy

Especially interested in the skill system rework.

Hopefully you can level-up pawns now and give them unique perks? :))

NachoToast

Looks cool! Are you saying there will be a way to have an automated or semi-automated way of farming animals?
-NachoToast

bongsmokemcpuffpass

love this game and making the AI bases more complex was exactly what i was hoping for in this update besides all the other good shit

Sirportalez

I am really excited for this update. Especially the last point with rebalancing economy,  animal farming and stuff.

Will there be some balancing to plant farming as well?

Tynan

Quote from: Sirportalez on April 11, 2017, 05:38:08 PM
Will there be some balancing to plant farming as well?

Yes, the crop cycle is longer. Longer growing times, bigger harvests to match.

Hunting should also be a bit harder now since animals flee.

However, foraging is now more viable since wild plants spawn differently and yield different amounts of food when harvested.

And as noted, raising meat animals is more viable.

Overall I've been trying to make all the food sources viable, and distinct. Crops are efficient but take time to come to fruition, hunting is faster but riskier, foraging works consistently but is a bit slow and you'll denude the local area pretty fast, meat animal raising is tougher than crops but you get the other benefits from animals, and meat allows making nice meals. And of course all this varies by biome and situation.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

XeoNovaDan

I am seeing this is shaping up to be a much more usable, bug-free Dwarf Fortress indeed, judging by how you've described this update... I like it :)

+8

Edixo

How will roads look on the close up map?

A big slab of paved tiles running through the map?
Nothing says "Home Security" like 50 turrets

GideonHidolka

Quote from: Edixo on April 10, 2017, 09:22:07 PM
Quote from: GideonHidolka on April 10, 2017, 09:02:01 PM
I can hardly use caravans now due to performance issues
Wait what?

I'm playing on a 5 year old laptop with no graphics card,  and while I get a bit of lag, I can still easily play the game.

What kind of toaster are you using?

What??? How??? my specs are

Windows 10

AMD Phenom 9150e quad core 1.8

6144 MB Ram

AMD Radeon HD 6570

It runs okay at first but drops after the 1st year, attempting to use a caravan or a second colony can drop it to 10 or 11 fps.

Vindar

Quote from: Shinzy on April 11, 2017, 06:43:41 AM
I'm really curious about how easily moddable (for the typical scrub tier modder like myself) will those 'quest sites' be

this

If we can make a full on dungeon with loot inside and custom baddies... *grin*

TheVoidDragon

Are there any plans for additional new items with this update? Furniture, security items, non-melee weapons/equipment etc are areas that seem a bit lacking at the moment, really.