[1.1] SimpleSidearms (1.4.0)

Started by PeteTimesSix, May 16, 2017, 04:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lerin

How to set auto switch to ranged weapon when any hostile pawns are in range ?
This is possible ?

PeteTimesSix

New version is out.

Added learning helper popups!

-fixed mechonoids again
-investigated in-combat sidearm recovery (not this way)
-added in-combat switching back to primary weapon

EDIT: Oh yeah, and one I forgot: enemies will now also retrieve weapons (in a small radius, to prevent visitors nicking your masterwork pistols or whatever).
Mods: SimpleSidearms | QOLTweaksPack
Check them out, feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Draconicrose

In-combat primary weapon switch back is amazing and just made this mod awesome. Thank you!
I have a Rimworld Let's Play for you -> Let's Play Rimworld Playlist

tobi1449

Is there any way to prevent pawns switching away from their main weapon when they don't have a sidearm?

metal_fish

Created an account here just to say i've been looking for a mod like this for ages! This needs more exposure!

lorebot

Quote from: tobi1449 on June 23, 2017, 01:01:28 PM
Is there any way to prevent pawns switching away from their main weapon when they don't have a sidearm?

I would also like to know if this is possible or request the option if it isn't currently available.

A good number of the ranged weapons have their best accuracy at Touch range, but the vanilla behavior is to make them switch to fists once in melee range even if that puts them at a disadvantage. There's the option of manually instructing the pawn to fire their ranged weapon once they're in melee range, but that can be a lot more micromanagement than I enjoy. And I'm not sure if it's a bug or not but when automatically switching weapons via this mod they're dropping the weapon they currently have equipped to pull out the next one, which means they have to waste time picking their original weapon back up before being able to use it again and they're not doing that automatically while Drafted. So if my snipers gets into melee with a single target they'll drop their rifles, melee the target down, and then stand there doing nothing because they won't pick their rifles back up unless I tell them to...again, more micromanagement than I enjoy...and it's gotten a fair number of my pawns killed trying to pick back up a SMG or Pistol while being hit in melee after they've automatically dropped their gun in favor of their pigsticker even tho they've got 10 ranged and 0 melee.

I like to give my pawns a melee weapon as a sidearm so they're not using their fists when trying to put down a prison escape or some other thing I want a greater chance of target survival with. But it's causing me a lot of grief and I'm probably gonna start turning off the autoswitching and just use the mod for the extra weapon slot.

Antaios

Quote from: lorebot on June 26, 2017, 10:50:06 AM
I'm not sure if it's a bug or not but when automatically switching weapons via this mod they're dropping the weapon they currently have equipped to pull out the next one

You can turn that off in the mod options:

lorebot

Quote from: Antaios on June 26, 2017, 12:02:15 PM

You can turn that off in the mod options:

Found that about an hour ago, thanks :)

PeteTimesSix

Quote from: lorebot on June 26, 2017, 10:50:06 AMOn the subject of in-combat weapon retrieval

I've implemented that about three different ways by now, and nothing quite worked right (a fun one was a pawn infinitely cycling between two miniguns). I might eventually figure out a way of doing it that doesn't break, but ultimately the combat AI is just not designed to allow for automatic jobs (such as picking up items).

As for the whole "dropping ranged weapons in favor of melee" thing, well, I'll admit this is personal bias but I much preferred the older versions of Rimworld where melee attacks reset ranged warmup. I'll probably add a toggle for it in the next release.

Quote from: metal_fish on June 25, 2017, 10:36:01 PM
Created an account here just to say i've been looking for a mod like this for ages! This needs more exposure!
Posts like these keep me going :D

lorebot

Quote from: PeteTimesSix on June 26, 2017, 02:03:14 PM

As for the whole "dropping ranged weapons in favor of melee" thing, well, I'll admit this is personal bias but I much preferred the older versions of Rimworld where melee attacks reset ranged warmup. I'll probably add a toggle for it in the next release.

If you mean that being attacked in melee would interrupt a pawn trying to shoot a ranged weapon...that makes a lot of sense and I would be much more okay with the function if that's how combat still worked. Sadly it's not and that Heavy SMG with the 70% hit rate at Touch range is way more effective in melee on my gunner pawns with 10+ Ranged skill than that same pawn with 0 melee skill using a plasteel longsword...

PeteTimesSix

Added basic CE compatibility. When CE is loaded, SimpleSidearms disables its own inventory management and postfixes CE's alternative weapon verbs. It's pretty simplistic so I expect some issues to crop up, but there you go.

NinetyNineTails

Quote from: PeteTimesSix on July 03, 2017, 11:10:52 PM
Added basic CE compatibility. When CE is loaded, SimpleSidearms disables its own inventory management and postfixes CE's alternative weapon verbs. It's pretty simplistic so I expect some issues to crop up, but there you go.

I'm trying SimpleSidearms together with CE for this playthrough.  I'd already noticed one raider get punched into submission instead of stabbed, so I was wondering.  I'll see if I can get a better report than 'It didn't work this one time', though.

lorebot

I'm wondering if there's a way to make this mod change weapon based on the pawn's current job.

I play with 'Right tool for the job' which adds some tools that increase job speed for certain tasks, but don't really perform well as melee weapons. I've been using Simple Sidearms to allow my colonists to carry their tools along with a weapon which makes drafting them in an emergency much easier since I can just have them switch to their ranged weapons and holster their tools for combat.

I always have some colonists that excel at jobs that require different tools (pickaxe for mining, hammer for construction, etc...) and I'm usually picking just 1 tool for them to carry all the time while not drafted because it's too difficult to manual switch their tools when they decide to change jobs. I'm hoping there could be a way to make a compatibility patch of some kind with Right Tool for the Job that would allow Simple Sidearms to dynamically change their weapon based on what job they're doing. So when Mining they would swap to a pickaxe if they have one, or when Constructing swap to a hammer, then back to a ranged weapon when they're not mining so they could do hunting jobs without me having to manually swap all the time. It'd be great if you could flag a specific weapon to be equipped when the colonist is Drafted too so I wouldn't have to go through them all holstering their tools manually.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: lorebot on July 12, 2017, 12:51:27 PM
I'm wondering if there's a way to make this mod change weapon based on the pawn's current job.

I play with 'Right tool for the job' which adds some tools that increase job speed for certain tasks, but don't really perform well as melee weapons. I've been using Simple Sidearms to allow my colonists to carry their tools along with a weapon which makes drafting them in an emergency much easier since I can just have them switch to their ranged weapons and holster their tools for combat.

I always have some colonists that excel at jobs that require different tools (pickaxe for mining, hammer for construction, etc...) and I'm usually picking just 1 tool for them to carry all the time while not drafted because it's too difficult to manual switch their tools when they decide to change jobs. I'm hoping there could be a way to make a compatibility patch of some kind with Right Tool for the Job that would allow Simple Sidearms to dynamically change their weapon based on what job they're doing. So when Mining they would swap to a pickaxe if they have one, or when Constructing swap to a hammer, then back to a ranged weapon when they're not mining so they could do hunting jobs without me having to manually swap all the time. It'd be great if you could flag a specific weapon to be equipped when the colonist is Drafted too so I wouldn't have to go through them all holstering their tools manually.

I think that is what the toolbelt is for :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

lorebot

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 12, 2017, 01:08:46 PM
I think that is what the toolbelt is for :)

You can use the tools with the toolbelt and the bonuses stack (I remember checking at some point but I could be wrong or it could have changed). Also, the toolbelt requires hands to use. If a colonist is missing both hands, either through wounds or from having bionic arms, they won't be able to equip it but they'll still be able to hold the tool and get a bonus from that. :)