RimWorld change log

Started by Tynan, May 02, 2014, 01:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shinzy

Quote from: MarvinKosh on November 13, 2015, 02:26:21 AM
Exotic beaches are great... right up until The Bitter Crew shows up and starts shelling it with incendiary mortars.

Beaches are nothing without some shells and warmth!
The way I see it: Beaches are lame before the Bitter crew shows up!
shooting fireworks, serving cocktails.. they're doing gods work

Tynan

I'm non-stickying this one for now since I'm no longer maintaining the change log. Why? For reasons outlined on the changelog itself. Really, I only started it so I could show it to government people while seeking government R&D funding, and it duplicates the git commits. It's just a bit of drag on progress, I find, a small but persistent time sink for time I could use actually making the game. Less changelog equals more features!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Coenmcj

And more suprises, since you're not telling us what you're working on through the changelog.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

milon

Is the blog the thing to watch now, or will we all just be totally surprised each release?

Genae

Ohh, I liked reading through the log. I guess we wont have access to read commit messages or Tickets? The log always brought me back to play the game again...

REMworlder

I always kind of liked the log. Building anticipation or something. I'll have to find a new way to speculate...

F for respects

RickyMartini

So your blog is the only source of looking into your progress now, right?

Vaperius

Quote from: Tynan on November 15, 2015, 02:39:54 AM
I'm non-stickying this one for now since I'm no longer maintaining the change log. Why? For reasons outlined on the changelog itself. Really, I only started it so I could show it to government people while seeking government R&D funding, and it duplicates the git commits. It's just a bit of drag on progress, I find, a small but persistent time sink for time I could use actually making the game. Less changelog equals more features!

Yes, but those change logs are the closest thing we get to an early teaser of the next update, which helps build hype for the game updates, and therefore the game itself.

Still, it is an understandably nagging time sink, maybe replace it with a "goal thread" every update quarter, where you can post about your idea for what feature you'd like to work towards implementing for the next update, so you can start a discussion on it, that will grow organically without your need to maintain it, and can get input on how the player base would like to see  that feature.

Also; Thank you for such a wonderful game.
I remain Vigilant.

Daman453

When i saw that blog post i started to say yes yes yes yes yes yes, so yeah, i like the log. Although if the updates come quicker...
Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 02, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
For flu, try a cock. If that doesn't work, try boobmilk. Nice.

Daman453

I'm going to snag the 1500 reply to this thread. :P
Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 02, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
For flu, try a cock. If that doesn't work, try boobmilk. Nice.

Jstank

Oh no! I love the change log. I think that if you have an inkling of an idea you can put it in there and immediately get feedback to what people think about the changes before it becomes a fully blown feature. This is the exact problem that every other game developer has. They have an idea, develop it into a fully blown feature and people end up despising it. Cough Cough, fallout 4's dialog wheel is a perfect example. Oh lets change the dialog system, oh ok that sounds like a GREAT idea it will be better because xyz. It is universally hated. What if Bethesda had a change log. They would instantly get horrible negative feedback, and F4 would have turned out a better game for it.

It is good to catch these things early and get feedback. I also think that it connects you to the players in a way that no other game does. It also brings me back to this thread almost everyday to see what new thing you are cooking up for the game. I would like to see the continuation of the change log, it is a very important part of this process, and it is a step that to my knowledge no other developer has tried. If it is not a thing any more then there is no reason for anyone to return to this forum. :/
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

milon

This forum is much more than just a change log. And Tynan has never operated Ludeon like a democracy. He implements new features at will, and if they're awful they get scrapped (yes, that's happened before).  He takes a lot of feedback from the discussions on the forum too, so stick around. Enjoy the game, make suggestions, share an experience, and let your voice be heard.

I miss the change log too, but Tynan & Ison know what they're about. If the change log doesn't work any more, then it doesn't. Also, check the Ludeon blog if you haven't. Good things are coming. ;)

rbos

Too bad. I miss it, too. It kept me interested to know what might be coming down the pike. Without it, I find myself less engaged.

Evelyn

While I too lament the loss of the change log, I suppose the reasoning behind it is good.

BetaSpectre

I was wondering where this went. Couldn't we just add on top a link to the version history? I like knowing what's new while I was off on Fallout 4/Starbound/Project Zomboid/Sins of a solar empire.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO