RimWorld change log

Started by Tynan, May 02, 2014, 01:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garen

raiders leave after doing sufficient damage

oh thank god/tynan

Untrustedlife

Ok tynan but PLEASE appeal to those who do like challenge/roguelike esqueness as_well. The majority still voted easy/too easy/ normal. Some people are just louder than others. I really enjoy that aspect of this game don't take it away please..
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

FowlJ

I'm sure there will be plenty of that as well, but raiders having goals other than exterminating you has been a plan for a fairly long time I'm pretty sure. I should hope that more alternate objectives like thieves and kidnappers get added as well.

Neone

Quote from: Untrustedlife on June 12, 2014, 09:06:49 AM
Ok tynan but PLEASE appeal to those who do like challenge/roguelike esqueness as_well. The majority still voted easy/too easy/ normal. Some people are just louder than others. I really enjoy that aspect of this game don't take it away please..

And for Cassandra Classic it should be like this, don't you think?

If you want tougher play, choose Tough Cleopatra.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Neone on June 12, 2014, 10:08:05 AM
Quote from: Untrustedlife on June 12, 2014, 09:06:49 AM

And for Cassandra Classic it should be like this, don't you think?

If you want tougher play, choose Tough Cleopatra.

Why should i be forced to choose cleopatra if i want a challenging game? Honestly, its like me telling you to go play phoebe friendly if you dpnt want to be exterminated, isnt it now. Cassandra is NORMAL difficulty not EASY MODE chill callie is easy mode.
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

FowlJ

And if you want harder than normal mode, the appropriate choice is hard mode, no? That's kind of how difficulty options work.

Untrustedlife

Im not sure you are understanding me, cassandra should have a good balance of challenge, and colony building, it should not be less then challenging.The Normal mode should be a bit challenging, no challenge is what easy mode is for.No player skill required is easy mode.

If this is the case i could just send my colonists into hiding until the raiders blow over, and that is not fun.The raiders should try to fight your colonists a bit, not just smash up the place a little and leave.

When there is no fear of death, there is no real danger... No challenge.

Hard mode should be VERY challenging, that is what makes it hard.

Normal Mode should be mid-level challenging.

Easy ,mode should be barely challenging.
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

LINK

forsaken1111

Having a well secured 'panic room' should be a valid strategy. Raiders come in, break some stuff, steal a few things but cannot get to your colonists so they leave. You still have to rebuild and repair so its not like you got off free.

It forces you to choose between defending your colony or accepting that damage will be done.

FowlJ

Quote from: Untrustedlife on June 12, 2014, 10:57:17 AM
Im not sure you are understanding me, cassandra should have a good balance of challenge, and colony building, it should not be less then challenging.The Normal mode should be a bit challenging, no challenge is what easy mode is for.No player skill required is easy mode.

If this is the case i could just send my colonists into hiding until the raiders blow over, and that is not fun.The raiders should try to fight your colonists a bit, not just smash up the place a little and leave.

And how do you know that that won't be the case? I think that objecting to changes being made because they seem to make the game easier is a bad thing for a variety of reasons that can be best summed up as : the game isn't done yet. Raiders leaving after dealing a given amount of damage not only does not necessarily make the game that much easier (That's a matter of how much damage they consider sufficient, primarily) and it also represents an important underlying mechanic, that raids now have simple goals instead of being pointless suicide charges against your colony. I also hardly the think the game, overall, will be easier next patch, because that isn't the only change. Actual sieges, new mechanoids, (admittedly unspecified) improvement to combat AI, more negative events (of which at least the ship crash needs to be dealt with or your colonists go mad), and whatever else is yet to come certainly make up for it, not that I consider it something to be made up for in the first place because I don't think that all changes to the game can or should be evaluated in the sense of making it harder or easier, particularly so early on in development.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: FowlJ on June 12, 2014, 11:17:55 AM
Quote from: Untrustedlife on June 12, 2014, 10:57:17 AM

And how do you know that that won't be the case? I think that objecting to changes being made because they seem to make the game easier is a bad thing for a variety of reasons that can be best summed up as : the game isn't done yet. Raiders leaving after dealing a given amount of damage not only does not necessarily make the game that much easier (That's a matter of how much damage they consider sufficient, primarily) and it also represents an important underlying mechanic, that raids now have simple goals instead of being pointless suicide charges against your colony. I also hardly the think the game, overall, will be easier next patch, because that isn't the only change. Actual sieges, new mechanoids, (admittedly unspecified) improvement to combat AI, more negative events (of which at least the ship crash needs to be dealt with or your colonists go mad), and whatever else is yet to come certainly make up for it, not that I consider it something to be made up for in the first place because I don't think that all changes to the game can or should be evaluated in the sense of making it harder or easier, particularly so early on in development.

You make a very good point.

Honestly I trust tynan will make this game the best it can be, so we will see.
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

LINK

Dr. Z

Quote from: forsaken1111 on June 12, 2014, 11:10:34 AM
Having a well secured 'panic room' should be a valid strategy. Raiders come in, break some stuff, steal a few things but cannot get to your colonists so they leave. You still have to rebuild and repair so its not like you got off free.

It forces you to choose between defending your colony or accepting that damage will be done.

That's exact the strategy I'm playing right now and the way raiders are behaving. So I don't really know what a change this should be, because rught now raiders do damage to your buildings and leave after a while if you're not fighting.
Prasie the Squirrel!

forsaken1111

I would like it if the factions had specific goals in mind when raiding.

Tribals may target your communications facilities and technological buildings because they see them as evil and are fearful that comms equipment will bring more outsiders to the world. Or they might raid your food supplies to feed their own tribe. Some tribes could be marked as cannibals and their goal during raids would be to knock out or kill colonists and then escape with them.

Pirates want to steal your valuable trade goods or weapons.

Hostile settlements may just want goods and food from you.

Of course the old "We just hate you and want you gone" goal may be viable in any situation but I would love to see an event like:

"The Razor Boys pirate band has launched a raid against you to liberate your prisoner, Danny."
"The Lost Ones tribe has launched a raid against you to destroy your hateful technology. They are targeting your communications console."
"The George's Hill settlement has launched a raid against you in retaliation for arresting and selling three of their members as slaves. They are determined to destroy your colony."

Garen

Quote from: forsaken1111 on June 12, 2014, 01:32:22 PM
I would like it if the factions had specific goals in mind when raiding.

Tribals may target your communications facilities and technological buildings because they see them as evil and are fearful that comms equipment will bring more outsiders to the world. Or they might raid your food supplies to feed their own tribe. Some tribes could be marked as cannibals and their goal during raids would be to knock out or kill colonists and then escape with them.

Pirates want to steal your valuable trade goods or weapons.

Hostile settlements may just want goods and food from you.

Of course the old "We just hate you and want you gone" goal may be viable in any situation but I would love to see an event like:

"The Razor Boys pirate band has launched a raid against you to liberate your prisoner, Danny."
"The Lost Ones tribe has launched a raid against you to destroy your hateful technology. They are targeting your communications console."
"The George's Hill settlement has launched a raid against you in retaliation for arresting and selling three of their members as slaves. They are determined to destroy your colony."

yes, yes and yes.
this is what needs to be implemented into the ai
Lore and reasons to fight instead off suicide charges

certain raiders attack you more because you've got prisoners from their faction. and they focus on releasing them
tribal s will attack you more if you've done plenty of research, and will try to destroy your research table (with the idea that destroying said research table has huge consequences)
ancient mechanoids should just try to carve they way through everything rather then attack you directly

Beh

Just made a account to say your game is awesome, and looking at the changelog I love how hard you are working to develop it!

FroBodine

New guy here about to buy the game tonight after work.  Generall, how soon after you post stuff in the changelog do we get the updated versions?  Is it the same day, next day, else . . . ?