[A17] Mines - balanced mining

Started by AngleWyrm, July 05, 2017, 09:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngleWyrm

After playing the game for a while with the graphic set to 3x3, it seems still too small. So here's two images to choose between:

5x57x7

Which seems the better fit?
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

wwWraith

6*6 ;)

Also may I suggest to make its colors more like on the first picture? I don't know how to say it precisely, more pale? less red?
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Cmoa666

5x5, better fit the size of the pawn.

Canute

What do you think about another alternative
a 3x2 mineshaft only placeable on mineable stones. Even an flat map there should be enough spots for that.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Canute on July 08, 2017, 01:10:53 PM
What do you think about another alternative
a 3x2 mineshaft only placeable on mineable stones. Even an flat map there should be enough spots for that.

makes sense if you are digging for rock .. anything else does not, since it would clash with the lore of the deep drills,
beneath the earth is still rock and other ressources.

And I too prefer the size of 5x5. It's one of those rule-of-thumb sizes in Rimworld that always feel right somehow. Not to small like 3x3 and 7x7 allready feels to big ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

GngBngBus

forgot to ask but how do you mine components from the mine? 'cause it's not showing up on the bills tab

Halcyel

I think the 5x5 is the best option, its feel more "natural"  ;)

platypus

Would it be possible to add the ability to mine the different types of stones? Or maybe just the ones present on the map?

AngleWyrm

Art update

• Pawns will path around the mine instead of moving really slow through it's tiles
  • Mines are big enough to block wind if placed in the path of a windmill

Canute

QuotePawns will path around the mine instead of moving really slow through it's tiles
Damn pathing, I want better pathfinding back !! :-(

Currently the pawn working at the mine like a workbench, it is possible that they disappear during work, because they are somewhere in the underground to mine.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Canute on July 08, 2017, 01:10:53 PM
What do you think about another alternative a 3x2 mineshaft only placeable on mineable stones.
I think that limiting where a player may put the mine would create filtering problems when selecting a biome, such as a desert or a swamp, or something yet to be invented.

Quote from: Canute on July 09, 2017, 03:08:00 AM
Currently the pawn working at the mine like a workbench, it is possible that they disappear during work, because they are somewhere in the underground to mine.
That could be an interesting mechanic, useful for vehicles, riding beasts, ships, working inside pods and other chamber types. Maybe have a face overlay for seeing the pawns 'using' a given thing, and for selection/navigation. It seems like a worthy project, something that will require dedicated coding effort that is somewhat outside of this mod's field of endeavor.

Quote from: platypus on July 08, 2017, 04:09:34 PM
Would it be possible to add the ability to mine the different types of stones? Or maybe just the ones present on the map?
Yes it would, and I'll add that to the feature requests. I'd like to implement it as digging up rock chunks that can then be further processed into blocks through other game mechanics and mods.

GngBngBus

Btw how do you mine components from the Mines? it is not showing up in the Bills to Mine it

AngleWyrm

Quote from: GngBngBus on July 09, 2017, 12:56:30 PM
how do you mine components from the Mines? it is not showing up in the Bills to Mine it

Working fine for me. The question appears to have two possible interpretations, only one of which has any meaning for maintaining this mod.

Are you seeing something different from the image at the left?

• If yes, then I'd like a copy of your config file to sort out mod conflicts and compatibilities
  • If no, then the problem is outside my domain

Nanao-kun

What about ores from other mods? Will it need a patch?