[1.3] Megafauna (v1.4.4) - More cenozoic beasts! - (21.07.2021 - Update #9)

Started by Spino, July 15, 2017, 05:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

Before I become a sinner myself by talking bullshit .. I asked my old friend mr. google who told me to ask ms. wikipedia.

Bodysize Comparison by weight :

Arthropleura      : length from 0.3 to 2.3 metres (0.98 to 7.55 ft) and a width up to 50 centimetres
Titanis      : It was 2.5 metres (8.2 ft) tall and weighed approximately 150 kilograms (330 lb)
Entolodonts   : up to 2.1 m (6.9 ft) at the shoulder and a weight of 421 kg (930 lb)
Gigantopithecus : up to 3 m (9.8 ft), and weighing up to 540 kg (1,190 lb)
Titanoboa            : Total length around 12.8 m (42 ft) and weighed about 1,135 kg (2,500 lb)
Doedicurus       : a height of 1.5 metres (4.9 ft) and an overall length of around 4 metres (13 ft). Doedicurus could reach a 
                           mass of approximately 1,910 to 2,370 kilograms
afr. Elephant      : 2.2–4.0 m (7–13 ft) tall at the shoulder and weigh 2,160–6,048 kg (4,762–7–13,330 lb) ( female/male )
ind. Elephant   : about 2.5 m to 3 m high at the shoulder, and rarely exceeding 5 tonnes
Wooly Mammoth: The largest known species reached heights in the region of 4 m (13.1 ft) at the shoulder and weights of up
                           to 8 tonnes while exceptionally large males may have exceeded 12 tonnes               
Paraceratherium : shoulder height was about 4.8 metres (15.7 feet), and the length about 7.4 metres (24.3 feet). is
                           estimated to have been 15 to 20 tonnes (33,000 to 44,000 lb)

okay .. either accepting, that elephants are way to small and light on the Rim and maybe a genetic rebirth of the dwarf elephant for better use in space ...  or calculating with 400 RimKg being about 2-6 metric tons .. yeah .. uhm ...
Thanks alot Tynan ...

loook I added a picture :
--- edit ---
the red blob next to the human and snake is the arthropleura .. which is a lot smaller than I first thought ..
I forgot the Chocobo and the Wrecking Ball .. but those where all right in size ..

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

kaptain_kavern

Because of you now I want a chocobo mod :-$

SpaceDorf

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 24, 2017, 07:11:16 PM
Because of you now I want a chocobo mod :-$

based on which version of final fantasy ?  :o
I have only played I - IX .. and would base it on VII .. I don't know the rest ..

And going from there, the breeding alone sounds like a hell of a project .. not to talk about the different abilities  ;D

Damn you Kave Guy .. now I want them too ..

Oblitus

Arthropleura can't eat live plants - is it intentional?

Paraceratherium has quite high chance to attack on tame attempt, more than some predators. Not very "gentle".

SpaceDorf

Have you looked at the picture ?

Thats no attack, it is trying to get rid of some annoying disturbance :-D

giannikampa

Hi!
can I request an animal with these specs?

- Insect, the model is your choice
- eats ONLY rotten and bones
- resist barely any temperature
- spawn as local fauna in any biome
- leaves if starving
- chance to fight back
- any health/strengt values you think would fit (i suggest small numbers as it is an insect)
- drops insect meat

i would appreciate this in my games
tanks
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

Oblitus

Arthropleuras lays eggs, but they are never fertilized.

Titanis eggs are very expensive, even if not fertilized, but as food are no better than any other eggs.

moonra

So much money I can't make  :'(
Got a manhunter pack with 29 of those, I thought they'd give me trouble but they're very slow so they came nowhere close to overwhelming my killbox.

Spino

Quote from: Hydromancerx on July 24, 2017, 02:26:20 PM
Do these!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtVGwHPzyNc
That was actually an interesting watch, thanks for the suggestions!

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 24, 2017, 04:42:54 PM
Before I become a sinner myself by talking bullshit .. I asked my old friend mr. google who told me to ask ms. wikipedia.

Bodysize Comparison by weight :

Arthropleura      : length from 0.3 to 2.3 metres (0.98 to 7.55 ft) and a width up to 50 centimetres
Titanis      : It was 2.5 metres (8.2 ft) tall and weighed approximately 150 kilograms (330 lb)
Entolodonts   : up to 2.1 m (6.9 ft) at the shoulder and a weight of 421 kg (930 lb)
Gigantopithecus : up to 3 m (9.8 ft), and weighing up to 540 kg (1,190 lb)
Titanoboa            : Total length around 12.8 m (42 ft) and weighed about 1,135 kg (2,500 lb)
Doedicurus       : a height of 1.5 metres (4.9 ft) and an overall length of around 4 metres (13 ft). Doedicurus could reach a 
                           mass of approximately 1,910 to 2,370 kilograms
afr. Elephant      : 2.2–4.0 m (7–13 ft) tall at the shoulder and weigh 2,160–6,048 kg (4,762–7–13,330 lb) ( female/male )
ind. Elephant   : about 2.5 m to 3 m high at the shoulder, and rarely exceeding 5 tonnes
Wooly Mammoth: The largest known species reached heights in the region of 4 m (13.1 ft) at the shoulder and weights of up
                           to 8 tonnes while exceptionally large males may have exceeded 12 tonnes               
Paraceratherium : shoulder height was about 4.8 metres (15.7 feet), and the length about 7.4 metres (24.3 feet). is
                           estimated to have been 15 to 20 tonnes (33,000 to 44,000 lb)

okay .. either accepting, that elephants are way to small and light on the Rim and maybe a genetic rebirth of the dwarf elephant for better use in space ...  or calculating with 400 RimKg being about 2-6 metric tons .. yeah .. uhm ...
Thanks alot Tynan ...

loook I added a picture :
--- edit ---
the red blob next to the human and snake is the arthropleura .. which is a lot smaller than I first thought ..
I forgot the Chocobo and the Wrecking Ball .. but those where all right in size ..
Well yeah, I didn't set their weights to be scientifically correct but more or less proportionally correct to the animals that were already in the game.

Quote from: Oblitus on July 25, 2017, 08:55:59 AM
Arthropleura can't eat live plants - is it intentional?

Paraceratherium has quite high chance to attack on tame attempt, more than some predators. Not very "gentle".
1. No, it is not, but I've fixed it already. Turned out it's because I had accidentally set its foodtype to "VegetarianAnimal" instead of "VegetarianRoughAnimal", thanks for pointing it out.

2. Well, story-like descriptions and game mechanics are two different things, and I wanted to make taming of paraceratherium at least a tad risky, as it was designed to be one of the best animals in this mod.

Quote from: giannikampa on July 25, 2017, 02:43:02 PM
Hi!
can I request an animal with these specs?

- Insect, the model is your choice
- eats ONLY rotten and bones
- resist barely any temperature
- spawn as local fauna in any biome
- leaves if starving
- chance to fight back
- any health/strengt values you think would fit (i suggest small numbers as it is an insect)
- drops insect meat

i would appreciate this in my games
tanks
I appreciate the suggestion but this mod is supposed to be about animals that have actually existed, and not fictional ones, sorry, man.

Quote from: Oblitus on July 26, 2017, 04:08:39 AM
Arthropleuras lays eggs, but they are never fertilized.

Titanis eggs are very expensive, even if not fertilized, but as food are no better than any other eggs.
Both of those issues will be gone in the next release as I've decided to remove unfertilized eggs of all the animals in the mod altogether. However, I also want to point out that even unfertilized eggs of something like a terror bird should be worth more than chicken eggs. Even if, as food, they are worth just as much as them - it's an egg laid by an extinct species brought back to life, like come on.

Quote from: moonra on July 27, 2017, 02:34:39 AM
So much money I can't make  :'(
Got a manhunter pack with 29 of those, I thought they'd give me trouble but they're very slow so they came nowhere close to overwhelming my killbox.

Just keep them shells in a safe place and wait patiently for an update, it should be done fairly soon :]

KaiserThurston

First of all, I absolutely loved this mod and the idea behind it.
I have quite a few sugestions of creatures that can be implemented in this mod:

Direwolf
The biggest animal of the canis genre that ever lived.
Weight: 68kg
Height:  98cm
Length: 180cm
Habitat: plains, grasslands, and some forested mountain areas of North America, and in the arid savannah of South America.
Diet: Carnivorous
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dire_wolf

Josephoartigasia
Looks like a hypo-sized capybara
Weight: 1000kg
Height: 150cm
Length: 300cm
Habitat: estuarine environment or a delta system with forest communities
Diet: Fruits, wood (trees?), aquatic plants
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephoartigasia_monesi

Megalania
Gigant komodo lizard
Weight: 320 to 1940kg
Length: 700cm
Habitat: Southern Australia
Diet: fed mostly upon medium to large sized animals, along with other reptiles and small mammals, as well as birds and their eggs and chicks

Meiolania
Huge-ass turtle who reminds me of Blastoise
Weight:?
Length: 250cm
Habitat: Any place where the tortoises are present is fine, I think
Diet: Herbivorous
Source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiolania

Dodo
Dodo
Smilodon
Saber tooth tiger

Spino

Quote from: KaiserThurston on July 27, 2017, 06:22:52 PM
First of all, I absolutely loved this mod and the idea behind it.
I have quite a few sugestions of creatures that can be implemented in this mod:

Direwolf
The biggest animal of the canis genre that ever lived.
Weight: 68kg
Height:  98cm
Length: 180cm
Habitat: plains, grasslands, and some forested mountain areas of North America, and in the arid savannah of South America.
Diet: Carnivorous
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dire_wolf

Josephoartigasia
Looks like a hypo-sized capybara
Weight: 1000kg
Height: 150cm
Length: 300cm
Habitat: estuarine environment or a delta system with forest communities
Diet: Fruits, wood (trees?), aquatic plants
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephoartigasia_monesi

Megalania
Gigant komodo lizard
Weight: 320 to 1940kg
Length: 700cm
Habitat: Southern Australia
Diet: fed mostly upon medium to large sized animals, along with other reptiles and small mammals, as well as birds and their eggs and chicks

Meiolania
Huge-ass turtle who reminds me of Blastoise
Weight:?
Length: 250cm
Habitat: Any place where the tortoises are present is fine, I think
Diet: Herbivorous
Source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiolania

Dodo
Dodo
Smilodon
Saber tooth tiger
Thanks for the suggestions, and well, what I can say in relation to a couple of the creatures you've mentioned is that you may like what I have in store for the new update  ;)

Oblitus

Entelodonts can't eat live plants too. Is is intended? They are described as omnivorous but are in fact predators.

Spino

Quote from: Oblitus on July 31, 2017, 10:44:39 AM
Entelodonts can't eat live plants too. Is is intended? They are described as omnivorous but are in fact predators.
Them being predators is intended + there already is an omnivorous predator in vanilla Rimworld - the grizzly bear, and we already know how that guy behaves when it comes to searching for food.