[MOD] (Alpha 7) TechTreeMinami v3.3 RIMWORLD COMPLETE

Started by minami26, May 05, 2014, 11:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goo Poni

Mm, I didn't know which mod it came from, there is so much craftable stuff. Overall best to build armour out of hyperweave though, it seems. Should I be looking to slap as many layers on people as I can? Just throwing them in light infantry armour never seemed to quite cut the mustard in the last version, the silly raids would still tear them a new one anyway, but scyther armour crippled limbs from extended use IIRC, hive is impractically slow and the steamhull is still fairly slow, plus it all requires mechanoid kills for energy cores now.

Cat123

Quote from: Goo Poni on November 12, 2014, 05:29:01 PM
What's the best materials to craft armour and such from? It all uses the same resources. Kevlar? Aramid Fibre? Gelid Braid? Hyperweave? I know hyperweave is silly expensive stuff to buy but is that because it's the best? Or just a lore-y reasoning like it's rare or some such?

Hyperweave - make vests + light armor + helmets.
Aramid jumpsuits - +400% heat.

The mod (whichever it is) is REALLY unbalanced, as all materials cost the same to build. So far, most if not all of the mods available [tech tree, weapons, weaving] are so hilariously unbalanced it's like Santa Clause came to town. Has no-one even thought of balance formula to crunch the numbers?!?

Btw - currently the entire game balance is screwed: You get FAR more defense using shoulder pads + light combat armor + vest + jumpsuit than you do using total body armor.

Totally borked atm.

Cat123

Quote from: Oragepoilu on November 12, 2014, 03:10:32 PM
I have already explained why it doesn't work.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3464.msg73535#msg73535
In short recipe have changed but minami forget to change a part of the recipe. Look at my post.

Ok, that's cute - it's just a bug report. Thanks for verifying it, but yeah - if I wanted to fix the XML, I'd end up changing most of these mods.

Goo Poni

Quote from: Cat123 on November 12, 2014, 07:25:33 PM

The mod (whichever it is) is REALLY unbalanced, as all materials cost the same to build. So far, most if not all of the mods available [tech tree, weapons, weaving] are so hilariously unbalanced it's like Santa Clause came to town. Has no-one even thought of balance formula to crunch the numbers?!?

Btw - currently the entire game balance is screwed: You get FAR more defense using shoulder pads + light combat armor + vest + jumpsuit than you do using total body armor.

Totally borked atm.

At this point, all my colonists are using sniper rifles with enough damage to instagib centipedes with 100% base accuracy at all ranges and I'm just looking to throw armour on everyone and basically let the colony run itself. Nothing short of the silly 50-man raids in previous alphas are likely gonna topple the colony short of sporadic lucky headshots.

ToXeye

Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

Oragepoilu

Quote from: Goo Poni on November 12, 2014, 08:23:29 PM
At this point, all my colonists are using sniper rifles with enough damage to instagib centipedes with 100% base accuracy at all ranges and I'm just looking to throw armour on everyone and basically let the colony run itself. Nothing short of the silly 50-man raids in previous alphas are likely gonna topple the colony short of sporadic lucky headshots.

Actually the % on armor is only a % of chance to protect from a source of damage so you may always end to be hit/Os by a sniper if you don't have 100% piercing on your full heal/torso with ONE armor.
So anyway you will want to avoid to be shoot in all case - so stick behind turret and use shoulder, coated light armor, scyther frame, socks, snow boot and an hive helmet. You could add a jumpsuit and some discharger & stabilizer gloves too. You end with a bit of move speed witch can help you to outrun bullet. Yes. IF you outrun them they won't hit you ! :)

Goo Poni

Can't seem to build shoulderpads or at least I haven't built the correct crafting table for them yet. Do scyther frames still cause crippled legs? Hyperweave light armour helmets have 112% piercing resistance so I guess that's immunity to headshots, right? Regular armour vest gives like 60% and hyperweave light armour provides another 50% or so. If it's additive, then that's 110% resistance again for the chest.

Igabod

Quote from: Goo Poni on November 13, 2014, 07:15:33 AM
Can't seem to build shoulderpads or at least I haven't built the correct crafting table for them yet. Do scyther frames still cause crippled legs? Hyperweave light armour helmets have 112% piercing resistance so I guess that's immunity to headshots, right? Regular armour vest gives like 60% and hyperweave light armour provides another 50% or so. If it's additive, then that's 110% resistance again for the chest.

The armor never grants you immunity to damage. The 112% is the bonus to your chance to avoid damage. But there will always be a chance of being hit no matter how high your armor percentage is. It's just a smaller chance than you have with lower percentage. It would be a little too OP if you were completely immune to damage.

Goo Poni

Seeing as how most armours don't protect limbs, those can still be blown off by random stray sniper shots and cripple colonists. I don't find immunity to bullets OP at all. I don't have infinite bodies to throw around, the raiders do. It makes no difference to the raiders if they lose 10 guys and the rest flee. If I lose 10 guys, that's 2/3s of the colony gone.

Oragepoilu

Quote from: Goo Poni on November 13, 2014, 07:28:08 AM
Seeing as how most armours don't protect limbs, those can still be blown off by random stray sniper shots and cripple colonists. I don't find immunity to bullets OP at all. I don't have infinite bodies to throw around, the raiders do. It makes no difference to the raiders if they lose 10 guys and the rest flee. If I lose 10 guys, that's 2/3s of the colony gone.

Well if you loose a limp you can always use bionic or a weaker version of them. A hit in the torso/head can fatal, so that's the worst problem here - even if a agree that the problem is the same if armor don't protect the damage but instead decrease the chance of being hit.
More armor will come in time so you may will be able to have a colonist with a full armor at some point. But the system need to change if you want a real protection. You may want to take a loot at some topic in the general discussion of Rimworld and maybe start a topic here about this because modding won't allow to change the basic mechanic of the game.

Igabod

It's certainly OP when the raiders wear the exact same armor as you have access to and are equally effected by it. So if armor made you immune to damage then it would make THEM immune to damage as well and then you'd just have a bunch of dudes standing there shooting each other in the heads and getting nowhere. The only way to win any battle would be for the enemies to get fed up and just leave.

Oragepoilu

Quote from: Igabod on November 13, 2014, 08:25:14 AM
It's certainly OP when the raiders wear the exact same armor as you have access to and are equally effected by it. So if armor made you immune to damage then it would make THEM immune to damage as well and then you'd just have a bunch of dudes standing there shooting each other in the heads and getting nowhere. The only way to win any battle would be for the enemies to get fed up and just leave.

It doesn't happen with the Apparello mod. You won't find somebody with an Hive Helmet or something like this.

Igabod

Quote from: Oragepoilu on November 13, 2014, 09:02:16 AM
It doesn't happen with the Apparello mod. You won't find somebody with an Hive Helmet or something like this.

no but you do see them wearing Kevlar Fur Hat's and Shoulder pads and all of the other pieces of gear except for a select few. And I've seen a T-shirt with more protection than the vanilla armor vest has. So my point remains. If the equipment with 100% and more protection granted immunity to damage then the raiders would also be immune to damage and it would make fights pointless and boring. You are supposed to have the fear of losing your colonist so that you use actual good tactics instead of sending them in a full frontal attack. I would personally delete apparello if it made you immune to damage.

Goo Poni

Do Scyther frames cause limb damage as their lore tidbit suggests? Or is it just a lore tidbit?

Quite a few armour parts can only be crafted by colonists, like Scyther, Hive and Steamhulls, plus I wouldn't imagine everyone in the raid would be bulletproof. Cripple and kill the non-bulletproof raiders and the remainder will retreat. I've only ever killed like half of a raid before they flee.

Igabod

Quote from: Goo Poni on November 13, 2014, 11:12:32 AM
Do Scyther frames cause limb damage as their lore tidbit suggests? Or is it just a lore tidbit?

Quite a few armour parts can only be crafted by colonists, like Scyther, Hive and Steamhulls, plus I wouldn't imagine everyone in the raid would be bulletproof. Cripple and kill the non-bulletproof raiders and the remainder will retreat. I've only ever killed like half of a raid before they flee.

I've only ever used the scyther frame once and never noticed any damage done to the wearer. But I wasn't really looking for it so I can't say definitively whether or not it does. As for the fact that those particular pieces of armor can only be created by colonists, who cares? As someone above pointed out, you can find regular clothing items which ARE found on the raiders and protect you more than wearing the armors that only colonists can create. You are actually very likely to find raiders that are wearing normal clothes who are harder to kill than power armored dudes. And in the very late game your odds of finding unarmored raiders in the group are so low that killing all of those would do very little to the morale of the attackers. Damage immunity would only lead to long drawn out fights or to you having to resort to sending your guys in to melee the enemies to death which would just be so ridiculous it wouldn't be worth playing.

edit to add: it's a moot point anyway since the code for the game doesn't grant immunity to damage but simply adds a bonus to your saving throw chances. And I highly doubt Tynan would ever change it.