[1.2] Sparkling Worlds - Glittertech on the Rim

Started by Albion, August 29, 2017, 10:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_syntaxera_

Huh, so Dropbox is crazy
Looking on dropbox it's capitalised but on download it's not
Dropbox is making a new zip file when downloading it and deciding it shouldn't be capitalised I think?
Find some way to turn off the preview or whatever and just make it download the file how it's uploaded

The most annoying bugs are when they're not even on something you made :P

Albion

The fuck? I'll have to do some testing with this once I'm back from vacation.
It'll take a few days but I'll try to fix this problem. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I might have to switch to gitlab for future download links.

Albion

So apparently dropbox hates me and changes the capitalization of various folder names. No idea why.
However I moved from hosting on dropbox to hosting the files on Nexus mods. This way I can also see how often the mod actually gets downloaded.
All new downloads should have no issues and should work fine. If I'm wrong please report any problem.

An interesting thing I also noticed: since the release of unstable 18 the value of new subscribers per day on steam dropped to about half the value of previous weeks. I'm currently working on updating to the new version but I still have a long list of errors to work through.

Albion

I released a work-in-progress version for unstable A18 on nexusmods (link). Both the faction and the melee weapon had to be cut for now because of issues with A18 but will be reintroducted at a later point.
Patching continues and I will release an updated version once the problems are resolved.
Enjoy the mod and please continue to post any bugs, errors, suggestions and feedback.

Albion

I released an updated version of the B18 release with some additional features.
These features include:
non-leathal melee weapon (painstick)
new burning damage melee weapon (burnstick)
Healer/resurrector mech serum crafting
neutroamine production using boomalopes
Farming trader caravan for tribals and outlanders

The new neutroamine production will result in conflicts with the Chemicals & Neutroamine mod. If you want to keep that mod please use the Core Mod and any other addons you want except Chemical extraction. This way you'll have all features of the full mod but no conflicts.

Imca

Dont supose you would be willing to make a patch to add Neutroglycerin to genetic rim creatures?

A heard of Nuclear Thrumbo would be hilarious for the production of it.

Albion

I'll have to see how genetic rim works exactly to see where and how I should patch it. I never actually used it myself. No promises but I'll look into it and keep you posted.
It might take me a few days.

On another note: I'm curious about opinions in regards to bionics crafting. Is the extended organs mod everything you want and need in a mod or are you looking for a simplified version with just vanilla bionics crafting and maybe the addition of bionic ears, spine and jaw?

Albion

As per Imcas request I included a patch for Genetic Rim.
All genetically altered creatures that were able of chemfuel production now produce neutroglycerin instead. Enjoy.

I also added bionics crafting. It is now possible to craft a bionic arm, leg or eye at the 3D printer after the appropriate research is developed.
It is compatible with EPOE so don't worry about any conflicts. If you're using epoe you can ignore this new feature but if you aren't you can now enjoy the wonders of bionics crafting.

Canute

QuoteAll genetically altered creatures that were able of chemfuel production now produce neutroglycerin instead. Enjoy.

For compactibilty, why not simple add a
Extract neutroglycerin from Chemfuel recipe.
Like at realworld you extract/refine alot of stuff out of raw-oil.

Albion

Quote from: Canute on December 01, 2017, 03:51:15 AM
For compactibilty, why not simple add a
Extract neutroglycerin from Chemfuel recipe.
Like at realworld you extract/refine alot of stuff out of raw-oil.
It's an interesting idea but I view chemfuel more like gasoline which is a refined product. The idea in this mod is that Boomalopes produce a chemical substance similar but different to crude oil which can be refined into chemfuel/gasoline or neutroamine.
Adding the patch was easy enough and is completely compatible with any mod.
The only incompatibility I have is with the 'chemicals and neutroamine' mod which had the original idea and there does the same thing.
Last but not least I'm kind of committed now. Removing the current recipes might result in broken savegames which is something I want to avoid at all cost.
TL;DR: interesting idea and I might do it with the transition to beta 19 but for now it stays the way it is.

Canute

Your basic idea to milk the neutroglycerin and refine it into the various stuff is good.
But the early vanilia advance to milk Boomalope for chemfuel, to power up the chemfuel generators goes *puff*.
Sure extra step to refine into chemfuel wouldn't hurt that much, but it is still an extra step.
Why not to give another animal the neutroglycerin ?
Since i don't know how you can milk a boomrat, maybe add neutroglycerin  to the butcher products of boomrats.
Since Boomrats reproduce pretty fast it should be a proper source of neutroglycerin .

Albion

True. I delay the use of the chemfuel generator until refining is researched but to be honest I'm kind of okay with that.
Before B18 you also had to wait until you developed either refining or deep core mining to get chemfuel. Boomalopes would be a way to get chemfuel slightly earlier but you have to have a random spawn and successful taming. By the time you have a small herd of Boomalopes you might have refining already researched anyway.
Chemfuel generators are more of a midgame power source to replace wood generators. At least in my opinion. I might reduce the work amount for refining into chemfuel but I think I'll still keep it. Having Boomalopes produce neutroglycerin just fits in perfectly with the backstory of them producing chemicals for the chemical industry.
Boomrats are milkable too in this mod, just like Boomalopes but they produce way less neutroglycerin. Having some additional neutroglycerin from butchering is a very interesting idea that I'll look into.

Dryerlint

Hey Albion. I love this mod but I wanted a bit of a more realistic micro fission reactor as I have some education in nuclear physics, specifically nuclear reactors. If anyone is interested here are the changes I made to my Buildings_Power_SparklingWorld.xml

Max HP cut to 100 (please don't damage reactors)
Non flammable
Costs 50 Uranium to build (consider this the baseline for the reaction to go critical)
Makes 50kW of power (this is actually a thousand times less than it would produce, but muh balance)
Tripled the heat output
Fuel Consumption cut to 0.01 (still much higher than a real reactor, but again, balance)

Albion

Tanks for the praise Dryerlint. I actually studied physics so I know how very right you are.
However for balance purposes I made some adjustments. I wanted to create a power building that is not overpowered but is more interesting than building lots of generators. For this reason I decided to have a decent uranium consumption rate and not too much of a power output.

On the other hand I was actually already considering to have a rebalance of the reactor.
Specifically to reduce the fuel consumption to 5 uranium per day. This way it will only consume about 70 uranium per season.
I also just looked into heat generation and guess what... it actually wasn't generating heat. The comp was in the files but since the building was impassible it actually didn't increase the temperature in a room. I fixed that and ramped up the heat generation, so now you can heat large rooms with a nuclear reactor if your base is in a cold biome. Beware of too much heat though.
The power output remains unchanged. 9kW is a large amout and will power a decently sized colony especially if used in combination with 2-3 geothermal power plants.
I will release the update in a few days. I'm also working on some other features and don't want to push updates every other day.

Currently I'm also considering if I should implement some way to craft uranium or gold from a more readily available substance. Maybe silver.
Especially when using mods like this a major lategame problem is that a lot of recipes require uranium and after a while the only way to get more is by buying it from traders which isn't super engaging. I'm considering to add a uranium crafting recipe to the matterweaver or something like that but it doesn't really fit in with the lore.
Another solution might be a precious materials trader which can be called as a caravan which carries a lot of gold, uranium, plasteel and the like.
Anyone got any ideas on this topic?

CalebRaven

I've liked mods that give new mining structures, but those that allow choosing material can be overpowered. I've found Quarry to be good in that regard.

One thing Quarry does is produce tons of stone chunks. Heck, on mountainous maps you'll have more stone chunks than you know what to do with.

So what if there's a Glitterworld station that takes stone chunks and mining skill that extracts the useful minerals - previously either in too small a quantity or locked away in various compounds - and with some time and skill, spits out a small amount of material?

You could get really particular with each stone type giving different amounts, or you could make it uniform for all stone chunks. Drag 6 stone chunks to this station and out comes 10 uranium, 10 plasteel, and a small smattering of steel? Then again, making specific stone types give different things means you can address all mineral types.