[1.2] Sparkling Worlds - Glittertech on the Rim

Started by Albion, August 29, 2017, 10:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

CalebRaven,
if you don't like that many stone chunks from quary you can't turn them off at the mod options.

Albion

The stone chunk idea is interesting but it requires players to have a lot of them so they would have to use mods or live in the mountains.
I decided to go with a new kind of trader instead. He is called the mining goods trader and sells every type of raw material one can mine in vanilla. Specifically gold, jade, uranium, chemfuel, components and all types of stone blocks. He also buys but never sells drugs.
The amount of materials sold is way higher than bulk goods trader. He appears as both an orbital trader or as a caravan from an outlander colony and therefore can be called if you have good relations with them.
For me it felt like the easiest way to potentially increase the amount of rare raw materials, while not making it too easy to aquire them.

Albion

I just published the newest version (called 1.5) with some minor adjustments and an update to the Genetic Rim patch but also a content update:

• plasma gun
  • pain gun (non-leathal gun)
  • railgun smg
My next project goals are event chains.
One idea: A refugee joins the colony then after a while a demand to return said refugee appears and if the colony is not willing to comply there may be a raid or orbital bombardment a few days later.
Any other ideas or general suggestions/complaints?
As always: Enjoy the mod!

CalebRaven

I know that about Quarry, just giving an example of something that can be used in a variety of maps yet not need to be mountainous to deal with. I guess mountain bases already have enough going for them that an easy source of even more resources is not ideal. At the same time, there are so many different map types that implementation of something that could be useful or cool may simply not work in all map situations (ice sheet, looking at you).

Trader sounds cool - keeps it simple.

In terms of events, perhaps some that focus on what the mod adds - Glitterworld stuff.

A locked laboratory is found, you buy coordinates from other faction. You get there and can find a few Glitterworld tech pieces - weapons, mechanites - but sometimes the lab was working on something that went wrong. Highly increased chance of the caravan upon opening the lab to get fibrous/sensory mechanites? Bug infestation at the lab?

As an add on to your later demand event, maybe they bring a piece of tech with them to convince you to keep them and the faction then demands the tech back as well as the refugee to bring them to justice?

CrimsonPhalanx

Just a little question about bullet storm, is it meant to fire at 180 rpm?

Because even a machine pistol is better in almost everything else apart from cooldown.

Albion

Yes the 180 rpm are correct. The value only indicates the firerate during the burst, not the firerate in general.
However due to the low cooldown and warm-up, the bulletstorm fires it's bullets constantly at this rate unlike the machine pistol which has a higher warm-up but shoots it's bullets quite fast during the burst.
I chose the slow rpm so I could bring down warmup and cooldown to the same value as shots being fired, creating a constant stream of shots.

I take your point though. Maybe I should remove the burst and just have the gun shot every bullet by itself. The rpm is confusing and low compared to the other SMG guns.
I guess I'll update it with the next content patch.

CrimsonPhalanx

I understand the low warmup is really good for re-positioning and fighting on the go, and I apologize for not clarifying earlier, but by "machine pistol is better" I'm including the damage it can deal out, as bullet storm currently deals 2 damage per shot (correct me if the bullet type is supposed to deal some extra stuff).

I understand the need for balance but having glitter tech weapons that are on par or worse when compared with vanilla weapons feels kinda weird.

to clarify I spent a good long time waiting for my bullet storm colonist to kill a single boar.

But your idea about removing the bursts may give bullet storm one more advantage, since colonists won't get locked in place firing the burst.
But yea, I agree, it felt really satisfying to see a constant non stop line of bullets.

Keep the good work going, I can't wait to see the content in the next patch.

Harry_Dicks

About the 3D printer, how does it work with printing bionics? Does it still take some resources, if so what, how many, and what is the work amount/crafting requirement? And when it prints a gauss rifle or railgun, how will that work if those are modified by a mod? Will it be a different kind, or the one from the mod, or does load order matter for this mod?

Sorry for so many questions, but there's a lot in this mod, and I really want to try it out. I just need to disable at least 4 other mods for it - Chemicals & Neutroamine, sd's Luciferium Production, another one that converts steel to plasteel, and Exotic Joy for the TVs and telescope. But I really like the way this mod essentially handles most of those things the same way, cuts my mod list number down some, and I get some nice extras like the ability to craft synthread and hyperweave! Thanks for all of your hard work!

Albion

I'm back home from my holidays now so let's tackle this stuff....

Quote from: CrimsonPhalanx on January 01, 2018, 02:41:06 PM
I understand the need for balance but having glitter tech weapons that are on par or worse when compared with vanilla weapons feels kinda weird.
You're actually quite right. I somehow messed up my calculations and gave the bulletstorm too little bullet damage. I recalculated some stuff and now increased the bullet damage from 2 to 3 and decreased ticks between shots from 20 to 15, meaning I reduced warmup plus cooldown from 0.33 seconds to 0.25 seconds.
This should bring up dps to a slightly higher value than the machine pistol and smg. It's also somewhat similar to the charge rifle now.
I also removed the burst, so now it fires constantly single bullets and will switch targets.
Do these changes sound good to you, CrimsonPhalanx? I'll probably publish them by friday or sunday at the latest depending on how quickly I make progress with new content.

Quote from: CrimsonPhalanx on January 01, 2018, 02:41:06 PM
Keep the good work going, I can't wait to see the content in the next patch.
Thank you. I try my best in delivering great features and hope most people enjoy it.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 01, 2018, 04:09:49 PM
About the 3D printer, how does it work with printing bionics? Does it still take some resources, if so what, how many, and what is the work amount/crafting requirement?
It works like any other crafting bill. It requires a specific research and a pawn with a crafting skill of 8+.
Regarding the resources each bionic leg and arm requires 50 Plasteel, 5 Luciferium and 6 Components. The work amount is 50.
The bionic eye requires 30 Plasteel, 6 Luciferium and 12 Components. Work amount is 40.
I know the resource costs are rather high but I didn't want people to just craft shitloads of cheap bionics. However I'm open to feedback and rebalance suggestions.

And when it prints a gauss rifle or railgun, how will that work if those are modified by a mod? Will it be a different kind, or the one from the mod, or does load order matter for this mod?
The 3D printer will only ever print gauss and railguns introduced by my mod. However using a patch this could be changed.
One could patch other guns to be printable at the 3D printer. A patch could also modify my guns without changing the way they are crafted. It all depends on the exact patch and the way it's implemented.
To my knowledge load order shouldn't matter MUCH. It depends on the exact mods and patches. If you have specific mods or ideas in mind I'm happy to help/assist you.

Sorry for so many questions, but there's a lot in this mod, and I really want to try it out. I just need to disable at least 4 other mods for it - Chemicals & Neutroamine, sd's Luciferium Production, another one that converts steel to plasteel, and Exotic Joy for the TVs and telescope. But I really like the way this mod essentially handles most of those things the same way, cuts my mod list number down some, and I get some nice extras like the ability to craft synthread and hyperweave! Thanks for all of your hard work!
Thanks for the appreciation. One of my original goals was to create a kind of one-stop-shop for great features most players will enjoy.
At least regarding the Chemicals & Neutroamine (C&N) mod I would like to point out that I also released a Core mod that doesn't include the faction and neutroglycerin production. Using this one allows you to still use the C&N mod.
However I would still recommend the Full mod since I improved on the C&N idea and also included a patch for the Genetic Rim mod so genetically engineered creatures also produce neutroglycerin instead of chemfuel.
Apart from C&N mod there shouldn't be to many conflicts with other mods except maybe for Exotic Joy. Usually it should just result in two ways of achieving the same effect (like two recipes/workbenches for plasteel crafting). However if you want me to patch specific conflicts with other mods please tell me and I'll look into it.

Harry_Dicks

Yes I will definitely be using your mod over C&N just for the GeneticRim patch alone. I'm also very glad you have the mod split up with the factions, because that has become a bit of a problem for me with all of my mods, too many factions!

Also I wanted to ask you if this would be possible - is there anyway you could sort of "request" and orbital trader to come by, the same way you ask other factions to send a trader to you? I ask because I have been using Walking Problem's Trading Economy. The only issue is, it adds I think 6 factions to the game, when I really only want a few specific items from traders - steel, plasteel (well maybe not anymore thanks to your mod heh), and components. I understand I can make all the components and plasteel I want now with just steel, but it is nice being able to buy 500 components at once and not worry about it for a bit. The issue is, between all of my 290ish mods and Trading Economy, I have maybe 20 factions, plus a lot more "hidden" factions, and with all of that running in the background of a huge mountain base, with 25 pawns, 60+ bots and 80+ farm animals, and all my mods, my game starts running like dirt. It's even worse when a few caravans show up. So I'm trying to trim down and mitigate wherever possible. I've already removed Psychology and Hospitality, and installed MakeWarNotLove. However if I could have all of my trading needs taken care of by a drop ship, I could seriously cut down on a lot of bloat.

So is anything like that possible, or could it be a possible mod option? And if so, could we have any options for what the trader ships carries and/or how much? I'm not trying to pawn off all of my mod problems on you, but I figured I could at least put it out there, as I'm sure I'm not the only one in the boat of too much game, not enough processor! :P Thanks again for all of your time, I cannot manifest the words to express my gratitude!

Albion

Well I think having 80+ actve pawns (yes bots are pawns too ;) ) is close to the hardware limit anyway.
There is also a mod called "more trade ships" which increases the number of orbital trader spawns but I'm guessing it's already one of your 290 mods.

I'll have to look into the possibility to request orbital traders but to be honest it kind of breaks the background lore since trade ships or space ships in general are rather slow and just an occasional sight, especially on Rimworlds. However I could create a seperate mod that makes orbital traders spawn instead of caravans. This will take some time though...

Albion

I just uploaded the newest (1.6) version of the mod with a new feature:

You can now contruct a satellite pod at the pod launcher. If launched into space it will spawn a orbital bombardment targeter.

I also implemented to changes to the bulletstorm gun so it now has increased firerate and damage.

Harry_Dicks

Oh my gosh I just realized you have the PERFECT gear for my chain-gang wardens, stun baton and pain gun! Do your pawns just keep attacking targets with them until they go unconscious?

Albion

Yeah, just like normal weapons.
Instead of dealing damage the non-leathal weapons inflict a health effect that reduces consciousness and increases pain. If the health effect gets strong enough the target falls unconscious. But beware, if the health effects gets too strong it will kill the victim.

Harry_Dicks

I get this red error when loading my new game, followed immediately by an identical one but for KineticBombardmentSatellitePodSW Exception editing stack counts for ThingDef "BeamCannonSatellitePodSW": System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ResearchableStatUpgrades.RSUUtil.IsInst (System.Type t, System.Type a) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ResearchableStatUpgrades.RSUUtil+<>c__DisplayClass9_0.<IsInst>b__0 (System.Type t2) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[Type] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ResearchableStatUpgrades.RSUUtil.IsInst (System.Type t, System.Type[] types) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ResearchableStatUpgrades.WorldComponent_StackCountEditManager.RefreshStackCountEdits () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Verse.Log:Error(String)
ResearchableStatUpgrades.WorldComponent_StackCountEditManager:RefreshStackCountEdits()
ResearchableStatUpgrades.WorldComponent_StackCountEditManager:ExposeData()
Verse.CrossRefHandler:ResolveAllCrossReferences()
Verse.ScribeLoader:FinalizeLoading()
Verse.Game:LoadGame()
Verse.SavedGameLoader:LoadGameFromSaveFile(String)
Verse.Root_Play:<Start>m__0()
Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
Verse.LongEventHandler:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>m__1()

Do you know what that is, or if it's anything to worry about? Or is it coming from Researchable Stat Upgrades?