[1.0] The Many Mods Of Mehni [Updated "daily!"]

Started by Mehni, September 26, 2017, 03:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mehni

A new version of Pick Up and Haul is out now!

v0.18.1.6 introduces compatibility with CE and now hooks into AllowTool's Haul Urgently - pawns will Urgently Haul things to their inventory!

https://github.com/Mehni/PickUpAndHaul/releases
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279012058

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Mehni on February 17, 2018, 02:26:45 PM
now hooks into AllowTool's Haul Urgently - pawns will Urgently Haul things to their inventory!

So much awesomeness! ;D

Hmm, what more can you do next, if you are planning more? Mod options, customization?

Kori

Quote from: Mehni on February 17, 2018, 02:26:45 PM
v0.18.1.6 introduces compatibility with CE and now hooks into AllowTool's Haul Urgently - pawns will Urgently Haul things to their inventory!

Thank you very much!!  :)

Harry_Dicks

Mehni

Boomie is just feeling blue. He's out of his element.

Quote from: Kori on February 17, 2018, 04:35:40 PM
Thank you very much!!  :)

Thanks for your support!

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 17, 2018, 04:33:36 PM
So much awesomeness! ;D

Hmm, what more can you do next, if you are planning more? Mod options, customization?

Pick Up and Haul is getting to a mature point, and I'm pretty happy with where it is now. If I can avoid implementing mod options, I will. Not necessarily out of laziness, but because I'd rather work harder on making the out-of-the-box experience work flawlessly. There are still a few issues I'd like to hammer out, but no more working on it till 3AM.

Canute

Ok, i didn't used the latest version yet. So i don't now if you change it.

You optimize the pickup, but whats about the unload inventory?
At example, a pawn got corn,steel,corn at the inventory.
He will go and drop the corn to the best place, then the steel.
I think most people don't use the same stockpile for these.

So my idea's are
- drop all at once. That isn't the elegant methode but i think this i still better then when the pawn run for and back to drop the stuff at different stockpiles.
- sort the inventory on pickup, so all same item are together. No more corn,steel,corn.  It would be corn,corn,steel.

Mehni

Unload logic hasn't changed in the latest version.

While I agree that most people won't use the same stockpile for steel and corn, the origin of steel and corn are usually quite far apart from one another. Apart from that, I think that even with dumb unloading, it's still more efficient than regular vanilla hauling.

I'm not entirely convinced there's a problem there, or one that needs fixing.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Mehni on February 18, 2018, 09:45:11 AM
I'm not entirely convinced there's a problem there, or one that needs fixing.

Can I interpret this as: yeah it might happen every once in awhile, but it isn't causing an issue that's big enough to warrant the potential crap ton of extra work that might help or might introduce new avenues for other things to break?

Mehni

It can also be interpreted as "convince me there's a scenario where this happens reliably, and I'll do my damn best to fix it".

I suspect solving one could also alleviate the rare issue some people are having in combination with Extended Storage.

wwWraith

Quote from: Mehni on February 19, 2018, 05:09:46 AM
convince me there's a scenario where this happens reliably

Well, if you say it... ;)

1. After-raid looting (weapons + food + drugs + medicines + sometimes building materials).
2. Trading.
3. Redesigning stockpiles (creating several specific stockpiles instead of one temporary stockpile holding several categories, mostly actual in early game but sometimes later, too).
4. Drop pods, wood chopping, wild plants harvesting, mining or deconstructing buildings near each other or growing zones, hydroponics, low-priority (temporary) stockpiles.
5. Moving items left from unfinished craft attempts to the stockpiles (e.g. if some pawn started to craft medicine and was drafted, then there will be hauling jobs for herbal medicine, neutroamine and cloth).
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Harry_Dicks

Would it ever be possible to get something like this built into the mod: when you have a pawn selected, if you hold down whatever button, say ALT, and click on an object for a pawn to pick up, get the context menu to do so and such. But, while still having ALT held down, you can then pan the camera over to elsewhere on the map, and then click the ground, and a new context menu will pop up that gives you the option to drop said item in this specific spot.

This way, you could tell a pawn what to pick up, and where to drop it. Instead of having to have a pawn first go pick something up, then draft them, send them to a specific spot, and then make them drop the item. I'm thinking about stuff that you wouldn't regularly have in big quantities or stockpiles. Things that might be like apparel, or a couple weapons you want to have in a few weapon racks by your killbox, or you want to setup rock chunks in certain spots in your killzone, put out a few frozen corpses of dead pirates outside of your base without having to make a stockpile for each individual one, etc. I'm sure we could think of a lot of different scenarios where this would be useful. Because for me at least, I still think the game makes it more difficult than it needs to be for something as simple as, "have this pawn move this one thing from here to there, with only a couple of clicks, do it all at once, and not have to hold the pawn's hand throughout the WHOLE process."

That's another thing that I think sucks, too. Is that you have to watch the pawn do this the whole time. I'm sure there are tons of others players out there like me, who will always be adding and removing stuff to fix/change in their "imaginary list" that they keep. And with enough content mods, you really can always have something that needs your attention. I get off on these wild tangents of stuff to work on, and I will often forget what my original task was. Especially if it is something like trying to get a pawn to move something from one end of the map to the other, and put this thing down into a specific spot. I'm confident that I will probably get distracted somewhere along one of the steps and forget about babysitting this hauler for the whole journey.

This is why I think it would be so great to be able to just issue all of these commands at once, and then not worry about it anymore. Fire and forget. The pawn will go move whatever items you want where, and they can do it without you having to guide them one step at a time.

EDIT: I just thought of this other way to solve my issue. Not implying that this is what Mehni should make, but I thought it was a decent idea. We could have a mod one day where you can select an object that's sitting on the ground, and then press a new button at the bottom, "MOVE TO", and then you just click anywhere on the map where you want this item moved to. Then the game would just make it a new hauling jobs like normal, but with no stockpiles involved. So maybe you can have a new "semi-forbid" thing to put onto objects, that would allow them to be hauled to their new destination, but then never get hauled to an actual stockpile.

For example say you just had your smithy crank out a bunch of one time use weapons, like rocket launchers. Now you want to have 1 rocket launcher beside each spot where your pawns will stand when firing into the killbox. Instead of having to setup a damn stockpile for each one of these, for every colonists (could be a lot!), just allow the player to simply tell the game, "Put this here, and this there. Make them regular hauling jobs (or haul urgently!) and let my pawns get to them when they would like normal hauling." Also, maybe I don't WANT to have a stockpile for this stuff. Maybe I just want to have a beanbag shotgun sitting near where my prison is, so that any passing pawn can just grab it and use it, but then NOT have to worry about the now empty "beanbag shotgun stockpile" being refilled!

Furthermore, it would be even awesomer if we could "tie specific items to locations and/or stockpiles". So say I've got a couple beanbag shotguns in the weapon rack near my prison. When there's a prison break, my next two passing pawns will grab the beanbag shotguns and use them on the prisoners. But let's say some of these prisoners make it pretty far, and my pursuant pawns have to chase them down kinda far away. Well when my pawns finally "down" the escaping prisoner, I will now need to haul this prisoner back to the hospital, so my pawn has to throw down his beanbag shotgun. Instead of having to issue a new order to move this weapon back to it's rack where it came from, allow us to set it's "home" location, or "tie" it to a location, whatever. This would then create a new hauling job to bring back whatever to it's specific spot.

Mehni

You are aware that you can queue up orders while holding down shift, right?

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Mehni on February 19, 2018, 08:46:24 AM
You are aware that you can queue up orders while holding down shift, right?

But can you queue up to make a pawn pickup a certain object, and then set that specific object down in a certain spot? I want to be able to tell a pawn to pick up an object and then set it down somewhere else, all in one motion, without having to wait for the pawn to go and pick up said object before I can set this object's destination.

Or, without having to make a pawn do something like that right at this particular moment, the other thing I was talking about. Without selecting a pawn, just select the object you want to move, then press a button that says "move to" and then choose it's new destination. It can then be added to the list of regular haul jobs.

wwWraith

Harry_Dicks, you should try
Quote from: wwWraith on January 30, 2018, 09:16:43 AM
PeteTimesSix's QOLTweaksPack (unofficial update; its orders like Pick/Move/Drop are called from the Shift+RClick menu thus adding them to the jobs queue instead of forcing to execute right now)

I think Shift is hardcoded in this mod (it was there from the earlier alphas when there were no manual queues) so I recommend to rebind the default key for queueing in RimWorld options, e.g. Shift+RClick will bring these orders while Alt+RClick will add the job to the queue; it will work combined, too.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Harry_Dicks

Want to say I had tried it out before, but was having an issue with something. Guess I forgot about it. Suppose it's worth giving another shot. Looks like I will still have to wait for a pawn to pick an object up before I can tell them where to put it.