[B18] Rainbeau's Mods -- Lots of Stuff! Take a Look!

Started by dburgdorf, November 06, 2017, 07:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Ashnal on January 15, 2018, 08:26:35 AM
Adding to the NPS issues, I'd love to see the terraforming options be able to be used with NPS terrain types. They don't work with wet soil at all, which makes terraforming a rare occasion when you live in a swamp.

I still haven't tried NPS, but I remember reading the thread about a lot of people having crazy bugs happen. Especially with the rain, and magma, fire, etc.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Ashnal on January 15, 2018, 08:26:35 AMAdding to the NPS issues, I'd love to see the terraforming options be able to be used with NPS terrain types. They don't work with wet soil at all, which makes terraforming a rare occasion when you live in a swamp.

It's on my "to do" list, but honestly, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort until the various NPS bugs are worked out.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Ashnal

I really hope the NPS author can iron it out. It's one of the coolest mods for Rimworld I've seen ... But it needs to play nice with everything else.

Also, I was curious, does Editable Backstories change a lot of backstories to not have "incapable of" labors? I've noticed a lot less restricted work types since including it.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Ashnal on January 15, 2018, 10:01:37 AMAlso, I was curious, does Editable Backstories change a lot of backstories to not have "incapable of" labors? I've noticed a lot less restricted work types since including it.

Yes, I did pare down the "incapabilities" in the default set of backstories I included with the mod, as part of my attempt to better balance things.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Harry_Dicks

I was always curious about how much the vanilla library was altered with Editable Backstories. Do you have any numbers for us? Like, say there were 200 vanilla backstories, and you pruned it down to 125? How many did you add yourself? What about if any are added by mods, would this ever affect them?

dburgdorf

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 15, 2018, 01:03:29 PMI was always curious about how much the vanilla library was altered with Editable Backstories. Do you have any numbers for us? Like, say there were 200 vanilla backstories, and you pruned it down to 125? How many did you add yourself? What about if any are added by mods, would this ever affect them?

There's an Excel file included with the distribution that provides detail information about the mod's default backstory set. I don't have specific numbers at hand. As to how many are edited and how many are original, that's really a rather subjective question, anyway, as some of the edited stories are almost exactly like the originals, and others are barely recognizable.

As to backstories added by mods, well, backstories for "Humanoid Alien Races" definitely work. I don't know of any reason why backstories added by other mods wouldn't be good, too.  I've been told that there's an incompatibility with the child backstories in "Children and Pregnancy," but I suspect that's because both mods modify the backstory selection methodology rather than because any backstories are actually being ignored. I'll have to look into that.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

TheGoodMadame

Quote from: dburgdorf on January 15, 2018, 07:47:04 AM
Quote from: TheGoodMadame on January 15, 2018, 02:06:09 AMIs there anyway for you to fix this: when I olace soil down on top of sand using thr terraforming anytime it rains the soil washes away and I lose any crops I had originally planted there. I'm currently playing on a desert biome so having this happen kind of sucks.

I'm afraid my best advice on this point is, "Don't use 'Nature's Pretty Sweet.'" It's a really cool mod concept, but it seems to be full of bugs, one of them being the tendency for terrain tiles to turn into different terrain types when it rains. There's nothing I can do to fix it, as it isn't a problem with one of my mods. Hopefully NPS's author will eventually get the problems sorted out.

Thank you, I wasn't sure if it was your mod or not. I didn't even think it could be a problem with NPS itself. I found a workaround for anyone that's interested though:

When using the soil on the sand, if you have a year-round growing biome (haven't tried it with others) you can simply close the area in and keep it roofed. This prevents the tiles from disappearing :)
Check out my scenarios:

Zombie Apocalypse

Harry_Dicks

Hey Rainbeau, one more question about it, and I promise this will be the last I ask of it. ;) Can we have a mod option for you to not overwrite cuproPanda's stones? I ask because he adds in 10 stone types, and changes the looks of some vanilla stones, so I really, really like his mods and your mods are must have so I am having an issue. I only want to use 3 of the stone types from his mod, along with slate and marble. In his mod options, you can turn on or off any stone types (including vanilla) as you already know, along with set that amount of different types of stones that can appear in a tile. But like you said, your mod overwrites his settings with RF - Configurable Maps. You have a slider for the 5 vanilla stone types, and only 1 for all modded stone types.

Here is the issue: I can turn off sandstone, limestone, and granite, but not all of the other types I don't want from cupro's mod. So then when the world generates, I will have 12 different kinds of stone. This means I am severely limited to what tiles I want to play on. I can no longer just freely browse the world map to choose. I now have to use Prepare Landing mod, which filters everything you could want on the world map. However for the options that I would want, that means I get to use maybe 10-15 tiles in total on a 50% land world map. That sucks man :-\ And also, I think Prepare Landing has a couple weird bugs when filtering, and also it forces you to choose terrain type and biome if you have >30% world gen. Maybe I don't want to look at only tundra, or only boreal forest.

I'm sorry I am not trying to add to your work load, but this issue has been plaguing me for a quite a bit now. Maybe just an option in the mod options to check/uncheck to overwrite other mods stone types in world gen? If you can not do it I understand. Either way, thank you for your time :)

Off topic: I want to use cupro's schist (green) and syenite (red), and the third would be either andesite (light blue) or pegmatite (orangish.) I think they would make absolutely beautiful statues with the Additional Statues mod (over 100 statue types in total now, 10/10 artwork a fantastic mod!) to place all around my base. I love to have 3 cell wide hallways, with some sort of more open "lobby" area in the dormitory wings. But in these hallways and lobby areas, fill them with statues and couches and bookcases and other nice, homely looking things. I figure the colored statues would be perfect for my Rim of Madness Cults run ;D Now if only I could find the mod off Steam that let's you swap statues from one model to another after they are made, I could have maybe wolf statues everywhere, or thrumbo, whatever. There is Taxidermy and XeoNovaDan's new Stuffed Animals mod just came out, but I don't think you can rotate the animal statues in either one :-\

wwWraith

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 16, 2018, 01:02:11 PM
I think Prepare Landing has a couple weird bugs when filtering, and also it forces you to choose terrain type and biome if you have >30% world gen.

In PL's Options tab there is a checkbox to bypass this check. Also using its GodMode features (you should enable it beforehand) will allow you to change most properties of any tiles so it's not a big deal if you can't find exactly what you want.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: wwWraith on January 16, 2018, 01:11:22 PM
In PL's Options tab there is a checkbox to bypass this check. Also using its GodMode features (you should enable it beforehand) will allow you to change most properties of any tiles so it's not a big deal if you can't find exactly what you want.

WHAT!!!! I am going to check this now. THANK YOU!

dburgdorf

Harry:

As per your previous request, I'm already going to look at allowing individual settings for each modded stone type, anyway. Assuming I get that to work, there'll be no need for the option you requested in your new message. :)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: dburgdorf on January 16, 2018, 01:35:09 PM
Harry:

As per your previous request, I'm already going to look at allowing individual settings for each modded stone type, anyway. Assuming I get that to work, there'll be no need for the option you requested in your new message. :)

Awww yiss!! I couldn't really remember if you said you were going to do it or not. My memory of it was, that you said something like, "I might do it but wasn't planning on it." So this is great news for me. I ended up having to turn off cupro's Stones because of this issue, which was a big disappointment. But it was becoming very difficult to find a tile that I wanted. But now with what you've said, I have something to look forward to, thank you! :) Also going to try out wwWraith's suggestion, if so, that will be a perfect stop gap until your change happens.

Hah, Executive Editor of Pawn Title Editing.

EDIT: I'm not sure how to change a tile's stones still. God mode, like the regular ingame god mode? I have to start a map, enable it, then go back to world gen to change a tile's stones for a new game? Sorry, never done this before. Or is there a "God Mode" in Prepare Landing?

EDIT2: Nevermind, fount it! :)

EDIT3: Dammit, I can only have it set 2 or 3 stone types per tile. Uuuugggh!

Mufflamingo

This is just a random message posted in your thread to let you know that I love you pal (no homo) and thenk you for all the wonderful mods you created.
Bleeeee. . . . .

Harry_Dicks

Alright, so I guess this would go with my other request as well. You have the option to disallow "fake ores" like steel, plasteel, and metals from mods. Do you think if you can do the list for stone types, you could also do a list for metal types tooooooo? ;D ;D ;D

kixiye

Do you take requests?
Would you like to see if you could make the names lists easily editable? I have used your wonderful Editable Backstories mod, and it is doable, but somewhat cumbersome add a defName and specify gender and first/last name for every name added, especially if you want to add a lot of names.

I checked the RulePacks_NameMakers_People in the core mod, and it only contains the Tribal names which is a bunch of links to a .txt file which is a list of Spanish Words, and other lists of animal names and colors, like this <li>name->[color] [tribalword]</li>
It does not differentiate between male and female names for the persons it generates names for.

I would like to have a way of using three .txt lists per humanoid faction, one with last names, and one with male first names, one for female first names, like this <li>malename->[MFirstname] [lastname]</li>
<li>femalename->[FFirstname] [lastname]</li>
If it could be done, it would be very easy to copypaste names into a .txt file and then specify which three .txts to use  for male/female first names and which to use for last names for a faction and have it represent a country for example. I think it could work very well with your Faction Control, which I have not yet had the pleasure to test.

Anyway thank you for your work, I use many of your mods, some of them are becoming must-haves for my Rimworld experience.