[1.3] Vegetable Garden Project [10/23/2022]

Started by dismar, November 18, 2017, 12:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

Quote from: matheryn on May 05, 2018, 01:31:23 AM
. . . for instance growing a bramble patch which acts like barb wire fencing . . . could also add a genetically altered venus fly trap . . . could grow a vine wall that acts like well a wall. . .could add toxic plants.

Sounds neat, but keep in mind that there are sort of. . . "Classes" of modders, who do what they do well and don't branch-out well. If you go and ask the guy (EdB) behind Prepare Carefully to make a gun mod, you're not going to have the easiest time convincing them. No offense to Dismar - whom I adore and has provided me with dozens of extra hours of gameplay that helped the game from going stale when I put-in almost a thousand hours - though, I don't think that defense is his area of expertise, and the contents of his mod are fairly grounded in comparison to other mods (most of the vegetables are standard produce, the ore plants are the craziest things get). If I were you, I'd poke around a couple other mods looking for something like that, from authors with work a bit more in-line with what you'd expect. I suggest an author specializing in animals or turrets for that fly trap, as an example.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

reteo

Quote from: Call me Arty on April 10, 2018, 01:01:45 AM
That being said, have you considered nuts? Hear me out, I think they'd fit.

Don't listen to this guy... he's nuts. ;)

Seriously, I think it would be useful, and we could add a recipe for trail mix (nuts and dried fruits), which could be an improvement on pemmican for caravanning.

On an unrelated note, in the vanilla game, cloth, when formed into clothing, often resulted in differently-colored clothing.  However, with the cloth produced by this mod, clothing is always gray.  It'd be nice if the "color randomizing" effect of cloth were restored (and possibly also passed onto the blended leather/wool).  I'm currently using the dye vat to compensate, but I really don't want to keep multiple stacks of colored cloth about.

Call me Arty

Quote from: reteo on May 26, 2018, 10:07:52 AM
Quote from: Call me Arty on April 10, 2018, 01:01:45 AM
That being said, have you considered nuts? Hear me out, I think they'd fit.

Don't listen to this guy... he's nuts. ;)

Seriously, I think it would be useful, and we could add a recipe for trail mix (nuts and dried fruits), which could be an improvement on pemmican for caravanning.

On an unrelated note, in the vanilla game, cloth, when formed into clothing, often resulted in differently-colored clothing.  However, with the cloth produced by this mod, clothing is always gray.  It'd be nice if the "color randomizing" effect of cloth were restored (and possibly also passed onto the blended leather/wool).  I'm currently using the dye vat to compensate, but I really don't want to keep multiple stacks of colored cloth about.

SOMEBODY FINALLY RECOGNIZED THAT COMMENT'S EXISTENCE!

I mean, uh,
I never really noticed it until you said it, but I do have an awful lot of grey colonists. Can't help but feel it's a tad justified. Now that we have Linen, Hemp, Blended Leather, Synthread that's easier to acquire, and the existing Devilstrand, more colors of cloth might confuse things a bit. Considering how rare the spacer fabric was in the base game, you basically just had leather and Devilstrand to stick-out from cotton, but now there's a lot more colors than red or some variety o brown to worry about.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

reteo

Maybe, but keep in mind that not all of those fabrics will be made at the same time; it's easiest and most convenient to make a huge batch of cloth, because it is not just used in fabrics; there are a number of articles of furniture that are fashioned from cloth.  It's also convenient to make a huge batch of blended leather, in order to cut down on the space the disparate variances of leather take up, since each one will have its own stack.  And those two specific fabrics seem to be "white" and "whiter."  As for linen... the hot lavender color really doesn't appeal to me.

If cloth can once again adopt a random color per article of clothing, that would cut down on what eventually will become uniformity.  And as for blended leather, wouldn't brown be a more appropriate color?

Call me Arty

Quote from: reteo on May 27, 2018, 09:39:46 AM

• Maybe, but keep in mind that not all of those fabrics will be made at the same time;
  • As for linen... the hot lavender color really doesn't appeal to me.
  • If cloth can once again adopt a random color per article of clothing, that would cut down on what eventually will become uniformity.
  • And as for blended leather, wouldn't brown be a more appropriate color?
Numbers added for ease and clarity of response.

• While you are most likely not producing all of those fabrics at the same time, it's unlikely that between crop rotations, you are either exhausting, selling, or burning through your entire stock of all the spare scraps of the last  batch and all of the clothing and other such materials made from the specified material.
  • Fine with color, I've just never grown it due to the fact that it seems like it wouldn't mesh too well with modded/vanilla recipes that need cloth. Shirts are nice, but I can also use standard cloth for carpeting, some prosthetics, joy objects, etc.
  • This opens the argument from the other side of the camp, which wants uniformity. While I'm fine for the most part, the all-too-bright shade of green for hemp is still too much for me. I'm not saying I want all my clothing to greyscale, but I'd prefer if there wasn't the occasional too-green article of clothing on someone's otherwise ordinary outfit. I usually sell my hemp stuff ASAP. Plus, it's just a lot easier to tell what you're looking at right away. Sending a pawn in synthread/hyperweave/devilstrand to go and stab a raider versus one in cloth can mean the difference between bruises and lost limbs.
  • Not sure if this amount of thought went into it, but white is the color spectrum equivalent of a rainbow, it's a little bit of every color mixed in just right. This makes sense if we had lizard-greens, bear-browns, elephant-greys, and Yorkie-yelllows all mixing together. While brown is probably the more accurate color, as that's what you get when a preschooler mixes all the colors together instead of an optician, it's also the color of a lot of other leathers. I guess it's the same deal with linen looking a lot like cloth, and they wanted to make it stick out more, so you could tell from a glance if you had a blended leather jacket or a grizzly bear jacket.

reteo

Quote from: Call me Arty on May 28, 2018, 03:16:10 AM
While you are most likely not producing all of those fabrics at the same time, it's unlikely that between crop rotations, you are either exhausting, selling, or burning through your entire stock of all the spare scraps of the last  batch and all of the clothing and other such materials made from the specified material.

Depends on the size of the crop zones involved.  If you grow an enormous amount of cotton, then it's likely that you'll have a near-permanent supply. 

Fine with color, I've just never grown it due to the fact that it seems like it wouldn't mesh too well with modded/vanilla recipes that need cloth. Shirts are nice, but I can also use standard cloth for carpeting, some prosthetics, joy objects, etc.

I would prefer to keep linen and hemp on hand for clothing, but green and hot lavender really tend to clash.

This opens the argument from the other side of the camp, which wants uniformity. While I'm fine for the most part, the all-too-bright shade of green for hemp is still too much for me. I'm not saying I want all my clothing to greyscale, but I'd prefer if there wasn't the occasional too-green article of clothing on someone's otherwise ordinary outfit. I usually sell my hemp stuff ASAP. Plus, it's just a lot easier to tell what you're looking at right away. Sending a pawn in synthread/hyperweave/devilstrand to go and stab a raider versus one in cloth can mean the difference between bruises and lost limbs.

I use the psychology mod.  Among the mood debuffs is "same outfit," in which two or more colonists are wearing the same colors.  If half the colony is wearing the same outfit, the debuff can reach -12 for all involved.

Not sure if this amount of thought went into it, but white is the color spectrum equivalent of a rainbow, it's a little bit of every color mixed in just right. This makes sense if we had lizard-greens, bear-browns, elephant-greys, and Yorkie-yelllows all mixing together. While brown is probably the more accurate color, as that's what you get when a preschooler mixes all the colors together instead of an optician, it's also the color of a lot of other leathers. I guess it's the same deal with linen looking a lot like cloth, and they wanted to make it stick out more, so you could tell from a glance if you had a blended leather jacket or a grizzly bear jacket.

Keep in mind that lights are additive colors, while colored objects are subtractive; if all colors of light are applied to an area, the light that is applied becomes white.  On the other hand, adding dyes to a white paper will absorb more light, leaving less to reflect.  While combining all colors in dye form would theoretically produce black, in reality, the result is actually a muddy color within the vicinity of medium-dark gray; usually the brown color comes from the presence of more red and green then blue.

Still, identifying clothing material by its color is a losing game, no matter what you do; how do you tell the difference between elk-skin and deer-skin?  Or squirrel-skin?  Or cow-skin?  They are all minor variations on the color brown.  There's no easy way to tell at a glance; only by clicking on the article of clothing (if it's on the ground) or looking in the character's gear (if it's being worn) will tell you anything about it.

Call me Arty

Quote from: reteo on May 28, 2018, 10:49:35 AM
This opens the argument from the other side of the camp, which wants uniformity. While I'm fine for the most part, the all-too-bright shade of green for hemp is still too much for me. I'm not saying I want all my clothing to greyscale, but I'd prefer if there wasn't the occasional too-green article of clothing on someone's otherwise ordinary outfit. I usually sell my hemp stuff ASAP. Plus, it's just a lot easier to tell what you're looking at right away. Sending a pawn in synthread/hyperweave/devilstrand to go and stab a raider versus one in cloth can mean the difference between bruises and lost limbs.

I use the psychology mod.  Among the mood debuffs is "same outfit," in which two or more colonists are wearing the same colors.  If half the colony is wearing the same outfit, the debuff can reach -12 for all involved.

Can't really argue against many of your points without getting petty, I either agree with them or they're pretty solid. Otherwise, I've never found that debuff. I personally blame the Mending mod for that. If you asked me why I had hemp clothes in my colony despite not liking them, it's because I don't make or buy them. Almost all of my clothing is normal-or-above quality stuff I take of dead raiders. Once you fully mend them, it also removes the deadman debuff. Point being, the colony wardrobe is a patchwork.

dismar

I'm actually going to make all the blended clothes and such be a random color generator like cloth. I did not much care for the fact that all my pawns in my last play thru were running around in green hemp lol

as for the recipe issue with core items. Like the pool table needing cloth. Its a small limit on current coding that stops me from messing with those recipes for now. Might be something I look at in version 1.0. But for now it was one of the reasons for the convert other clothes to cloth recipe I added.

Call me Arty

Quote from: dismar on May 29, 2018, 02:21:01 PM
I'm actually going to make all the blended clothes and such be a random color generator like cloth. I did not much care for the fact that all my pawns in my last play thru were running around in green hemp lol

If by "blended", you mean things like the blended leather/wool/cloth, I kinda support you. Same deal if you mean that hemp would be random colors like cloth. I think that a gradients would be a preferable choice. For example, blended leathers wouldn't be any kind of blue, green, or purple (even with mods, those are definite outliers), but some random of brown, grey, white, or similiar things in that range. Similarly, rather than a random color or a single shade of harsh green, hemp should be on a gradient of greens and tans. Some hemp fibres look like you just got a drop or two of green in your bucket of tan paint, but others look more like dry broccoli. Something like that would be real neat, if possible (not a modder, so I'm generally speculating on whether or not my suggestions are even possible!).

Oh, and if Cannibals (and bloodlusters too, I think) get pleasure from wearing human-leather clothes, is there anyway to, say, give those who are chemically interested a mood boost for wearing hemp outfits? It would be a neat and welcome detail.

reteo

^ FTW!

as for the recipe issue with core items. Like the pool table needing cloth. Its a small limit on current coding that stops me from messing with those recipes for now. Might be something I look at in version 1.0. But for now it was one of the reasons for the convert other clothes to cloth recipe I added.

I don't understand.  Your cloth works just fine on the cloth-recipe furniture.  My only concern was the Psychology mood debuff on uniformity.  And it's not like I can't grow cotton at the same time as other forms of fiber for fabrics. (As well as my fatigue at white, green, and hot lavender)

Canute

Maybe for a furture update.
Create Psychic tea, need Medicin 3 but give Intellectual skill.

TelekineticSloth

Canute

TelekineticSloth,
you are too slothful to check the first posting and see the realy big button for dropbox or nexus ?
The button's are there and working.

CreativeUsername

Hi,

I was just cheating to make my life easier when I noticed there is a typo in the recipe description for bulk make jade it reads:

Use heat to separate useful minerals from jade crystal plants. \n\nMakes 4 Jade from 16 crystals.

When it should be:

Use heat to separate useful minerals from jade crystal plants. \n\nMakes 16 Jade from 64 crystals.

WolfgangPolska

Is making bread, only to it it bland even viable? It seems like awful waste of time  and wheat.
I have no idea how, but it works!!!