[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torann

Quote from: Canute on January 03, 2018, 04:27:02 AM
Torann,
currently i got a problem with crashed psychic/poison ships. The game stoped when i shoot at the ship to spawn the mechs.
I need to shutdown the game. And since i can't find a hint at the output_log.txt i don't have a hint about this so far.

So i just destroyed the ship part and spawn a raid insted. I just execute  "ArcaneEnemyRaid" and notice it will spawn mechanoids.
So i want to ask you, these "ArcaneEnemyRaid" comes from this mod, and does it can cause problems to the droped ship events ?

Edit:
Ok, it can't be this mod either. Someone else at the general got the same problem and don't use this mod.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=38002.0
Ok, lets look at the next mod.
The "ArcaneEnemyRaid" was only set to spawn during the ArcaneStash event.  This event was left ingame so it wouldn't cause issues with people that had this event active in their game, but the spawn chance was reduced to 0% until I can rework some of the components of the event.  It shouldn't have anything to do with the poison ship event though...

Quote from: billyma6 on January 03, 2018, 11:32:12 AM
I'm currently having an issue with what looks like something about spawning a minion? Here, look at the logs, thanks!
Looking at the issue, it may be possible when two minions are summoned and the primary dies/despawns but the second remains alive until the end of the duration to cause this issue, I'll do some testing and see if that's the case.

Toketsu

Edit: Sorry for the huge wall of text, but if this makes you feel any better, this would be 2-3x longer if i didn't have short-term memory and forget most of the stuff before i have a chance to write it. Now i need to go get some rest, because writing all that in a hurry as to not forget made me tired and somewhat dizzy ;-;. Enjoy the read, please mention thoughts on it.

Classes

Hexhunter (Stamina) (This class is not supposed to be added until the AI can use magic)
The first class to take up arms against magic of all forms, the Hexhunter is a mix between ranged and melee that is very versatile in taking down magic users, but not very good against other magical things. As with all first things of something, this class has it's pros and cons. Quite a few cons with it's abilities. Needless to say, pawns of this class abhor magic and magic users. Due to all the cons and the fact that it's the oldest style of anti-magic combat, people generally choose not to learn this class and will often learn others. This causes the rarity of this class to be much higher than the usual. Some examples of skills:

Passive skills:

Absorb (has a rare scroll)
Magical attacks that hit a Hexhunter have a 50% chance of being absorbed and transformed into stamina on hit. Every 1 damage becomes 1% stamina. Absorbing too much mana in a short amount of time (more than 100% stamina gained in under 30 seconds) can cause mental breaks, with possible brain damage. Higher levels of this skill add a new stat that wards off damage as a way to lower the chances of absorbing too much. If damage isn't absorbed, it's reduced by 50%.

Active skills:

Dash (has a scroll)
Low-cost skill with low cooldown that allows the pawn to move extremely fast in a small space (blink spell, but with max range of 3). User has a small chance to become nauseous with consecutive uses in a short while, with chance increasing with more uses.

Anti-magic Shot
Shoots the target with a special bullet that disrupts the flow of mana within the target, causing weakness and inability to use spells for a short while (roughly 8 seconds). Shooting a non-magical pawn causes the target to become slightly weakened, but nothing too big to cause trouble for them. Using this skill causes the user to become weakened for a short while, due to contact with the projectile.

Spellcutter (requires a weapon that has anti-magic technology of any type)
Parries up to 100 points of incoming magical damage, completely destroying some spells in the proccess (Example, Fire Claw will desintegrate when hitting a pawn with this skill, but a projectile from Blizzard won't end the spell if it hits, will just negate the damage). 20% chance for parried spells to fly off randomly in any direction for half of it's max range and damage.

Mana Sapper (has a scroll) (requires an Anti-magic Claw prothesis to use)
Grab your target (must be in melee range) with your claw, dealing 5 damage to the grabbed body part (external only), stunning for 1-5s and sapping mana based on duration (every second = 10% mana). Stun will be stopped if the user receives damage.

Seal Magic (master)
Cut or shoot your target's vital magic spot (depending on weapon equipped), causing magical trauma, and the next time the pawn goe unconcious or sleeps, it enters a deep coma for a very extended period of time (10-50 days). When the pawn wakes up, they won't be able to use magic anymore. The pawn will still suffer from anything related to mana, but will not be able to regenerate mana naturally. Deadly during any mana sickness type of events. Usage of this skill will cause 1 permanent brain or heart damage every time it's used (cannot be healed in any way, healer mech serum included).

Cursed Mage (mana) (you get this class directly, instead of having the ability to choose and buy a book for it) (like Hexhunter, this class shouldn't be added until the AI can use magic) (this class' 'switch' skill was inspired by the Equinox warframe, in the mmo Warframe)
Cursed Mages are people born with natural magic knowledge and abilities. Most, if not all of them are unable to control it fully until roughly 10 years old, which often causes them to hurt people unwillingly, and causes people to fear them. This, in turn, causes them to hate magic above everything. Due to being born with natural magic knowledge, pawns with this class tend to be able to use more complex spells with ease and minimum effort. The founder of the combat art this class uses once said: "Magic must defeat magic.". Rare class due to the fact that they are seen as abominations and are hunted by both normal people and anti-magic factions. Example of skills:

Passive skills:

Magical Body
Causes the user's magic capacity to be 200% instead of 100%.

Magical Knowledge
50% chance to not use up a scroll when learning a spell. Scrolls that are not used, become tattered and it's sell price is reduce to 1% it's base value. Still fully functional.

Active skills (magic):

Anti-Magic Form
Seals the user's normal magic spells, while unsealing anti-magic spells and skills. Costs no mana, has a short cooldown.

Absorb Mana
Absorbs mana from the air and filters it in such a way that it won't be harmful to the body. Has a long cast time and cooldown. Costs 0 mana. Mana recovery varies between 10% and 100% (this means 100%, not 200% as this class can have).

Amplify Spell
The next spell cast after this spell will cost double mana and have 1.5x the effect, both good and bad. Spells that cost 0 mana do not trigger this effect. Medium cooldown.

Mana Tornado (master) (has a scroll)
Rapidly swirls mana in the air, creating a mana tornado that rips everything in it's path to shreds. Same as the tornado event. Fully upgrading this spell allows for control over the tornado.

Active skills (anti-magic):

Magic Form
Seals the user's anti-magic spells and skills, while unsealing normal magic spells. Costs no mana, has a short cooldown.

Explode Mana (this spell cannot have a scroll due to how complex it is, and such, only beings with incredible magic capacities can use it)
Detonates part of the mana flowing within the target. Deals severe internal damage and bleeding, and slight external damage. Higher damage the more unused mana the target has, and lower the less mana the target has. Base damage based off 50% mana. Also saps part of the target's mana.

Overheat (has a scroll) (requires an Anti-magic claw or weapon, if both are available, will use the weapon as the source)
Infuse your anti-magic apparatus with mana in such a way that causes it to overheat and function erratically for a short while. While in this state, your attacks have a 50% chance to damage mana instead of the enemy (3 damage = 1% mana). If damaging mana, there's a chance to cause mana weakness on the target. Chance of occurring is the same as the target's missing mana (example: if the target has 75% mana, the chances are 25%).

Overdrive (master) (has a scroll) (requires any kind of anti-magic equipment/prosthetic) (clicking the spell gives a list of suitable choices for this spell)
Overdrives your chosen anti-magic apparatus, doubling all the effects it has as well as granting the user +50% damage against magical entities on top of the bonuses for a short while. Once the duration ends, auto-switches to magic form and is unable to switch to anti-magic form for 1 in-game day.

Events

Tainted Mana
Purity in the mana is tainted, causing spells to cost extra mana for the duration. Also causes spells with a chance to fail to have a higher chance to fail, and spells that give the caster mana weakness to give a stronger version of it.

Magical Calamity
I forgot what this was about before i get to write it down (i have short-term memory, so big influxes of ideas tend to be a problem). Leaving it here in case it sparks you some ideas.

Buildings

Arcane Reconstructor
Endgame building that consumes an enormous amount of mana fuel. Can be used to destroy a dead pawn's body, and reconstruct it in a partly ethereal form. These bodies are somewhat unstable and cannot do manual work very well, but aren't limited by mana, as they take in mana directly from the air for their spells, and due to how their body works, only anti-magic weapons, magic and magic weapons will work against them.
Edit: Just in case it isn't obvious to some people, this revives the body, with some magic-related side effects.

Items

Arcane Shield
Arcane Shield is a type of shield that will work like normal shields, but allows spells to pass through. It consumes mana to recharge, and will only recharge when told to, as to not consume a pawn's whole mana. Every 1% mana recharges 5% of the shield. Cannot cast master spells with this shield on, as they are too powerful and would disrupt the shield. Note: You still cannot fire ranged weapons with these.

Arcane Shield MK2
A more powerful version of the Arcane Shield. The differences are that every 1% mana recharges 10% of the shield, and you can cast master spells with this shield.

Arcane Bionics
Bionics that are slightly better than vanilla, with the addition of improving spells, by reducing cast time, cooldowns, increasing power, projectiles fired, proc chance for extra effects, increasing mana regeneration, having a small chance for spells to not cost mana, extended range and more things.
Very rare items, and are unbreakable (they do take damage, but can be repaired with mana-infusing medical procedures, which requires a medic that can use magic).

Anti-magic items and technology
Research has been made by people who detest magic and think it should be gone. After a while, they found ways to sap away mana from things and people, as well as obliterate spells and magical entities. Such things come in the forms of weapons, armor, prosthetics, and even a unique combat art that works very efficiently against anything magical. I won't be posting about every single item possible as it's basically just the anti-magic version of the magic items i've mentioned previously.  I've listed some prosthetics examples above, on the Classes part. I'll give a few specifics on those below:

Anti-magic Claw
Metal claw that is built in such a way that touching it disturbs the mana within things. It's built in such a way that it doesn't affect the user. The claw has -30% manipulation, adds a little bonus to melee damage, and increases damage against magical entities by 10%. As with all anti-magic prosthetics, it's immune to magic damage and has 50% more hp than a normal body part. Replaces either arm.

Other

A new race that can very easily grasp magic, and the majority of the race is composed of magicians and have a larger mana pool than other races, however they have weak bodies, having less hp per body part, and being unable to wear metal armor due to it's weight. This race is NOT supposed to be added anytime soon, as it would be heavily crippled by lack of content (items, weapons, robes and etc). This race also has a unique class that no other race is able to become, for whatever reason it may be (likely a racial feature). I'd suggest a class, but i don't know what this race will be and the concepts behind it, so i cannot really do it. This race is also rare due to low birthrates (to keep in check the fact that magic users shouldn't be something very common).

New faction focused around anti-magic stuff. Will always be hostile to magic factions and races that dwell in magic.

Add a type of caravan that is not affiliated to any faction - a black market caravan focused on magic items. Will only sell magical/anti-magic items, in decent amounts, usually slightly above the price normal traders do, will sell "obscure scrolls" for a relatively lower price than normal scrolls (more expensive than some), and you will not know what you bought until you buy it and 'examine' (right click option replacing read until you find out what the scroll is) the scroll.

billyma6

On the topic of the AI using magic attacks, I'd like to know, how would that work? Player pawns can't use magic without player intervention, so I'm curious into how the AI would choose which spell to use and with what caution.

Also, Toketsu, instead of healer mech serum, dev mode also exists (yuh know, the Remove Hediff thing ;)).

Magical Calamity makes me think of something along the lines of "mana gets drained from everyone, forced to use other defences and attacks (the magical part means non-mages aren't affected, which means they're going to have turrets/other defences already compared to a total mage colony, where physical actions might not be necessary), while drained mana is released from the environment as random spells appearing from the sky, etc." I dunno, just a thought.

Toketsu

Quote from: billyma6 on January 04, 2018, 08:24:59 PM
Also, Toketsu, instead of healer mech serum, dev mode also exists (yuh know, the Remove Hediff thing ;)).
Dev mode isn't part of the game. It's a tool for developing, which cheaters abuse for their own fun. I don't have self control so i need to use a mod that disables it, since i prefer playing without cheats. I will never include anything related to dev mode in my ideas, and will only mention if it's to complement an idea and make examples. (Don't get me wrong, if people want to cheat, let them be, as long as it isn't annoying anyone else (multiplayer interactions/rankings))

Quote from: billyma6 on January 04, 2018, 08:24:59 PM
Magical Calamity makes me think of something along the lines of "mana gets drained from everyone, forced to use other defences and attacks (the magical part means non-mages aren't affected, which means they're going to have turrets/other defences already compared to a total mage colony, where physical actions might not be necessary), while drained mana is released from the environment as random spells appearing from the sky, etc." I dunno, just a thought.
Should be something along those lines - but i personally think it should be worse. With this name, it has the potential to be the most dangerous event in the game. Could be only available for difficulties only rough and above, too.

billyma6

Quote from: Toketsu on January 04, 2018, 09:10:17 PM
Should be something along those lines - but i personally think it should be worse. With this name, it has the potential to be the most dangerous event in the game. Could be only available for difficulties only rough and above, too.
I have zero clue how to quote so bear with me here.

And true. What about something like from Terraria's Old One's Army event, where it spawns enemies (in this case magical enemies, elementals, maybe enemy mages) on the map and you have to defend yourself from those waves of mobs? On lower easier difficulties it would spawn easy things to defend against, but harder difficulties everything's against you; even the environment as it would maybe prevent or slow the regeneration of mana. At the end there could be a buffed pawn with "more than average" health and would be the final obstacle to defeat. Of course, there'd be loot at the end, scaling with difficulty, but maybe if you're really unlucky or really not feeling up to it, you could use an artifact or sth to deter the pawns from attacking or even spawning at all?

Toketsu

Quote from: billyma6 on January 04, 2018, 09:24:07 PM

Quote from: billyma6 on January 04, 2018, 09:24:07 PM
Quote from: Toketsu on January 04, 2018, 09:10:17 PM

And true. What about something like from Terraria's Old One's Army event, where it spawns enemies (in this case magical enemies, elementals, maybe enemy mages) on the map and you have to defend yourself from those waves of mobs? On lower easier difficulties it would spawn easy things to defend against, but harder difficulties everything's against you; even the environment as it would maybe prevent or slow the regeneration of mana. At the end there could be a buffed pawn with "more than average" health and would be the final obstacle to defeat. Of course, there'd be loot at the end, scaling with difficulty, but maybe if you're really unlucky or really not feeling up to it, you could use an artifact or sth to deter the pawns from attacking or even spawning at all?
That sounds more like an arcane stash rework than a magical calamity.

blizzardwolf420

when i think of magical calamity i think maybe of like  spawning a boss creature that you have to deal with accompanied by a special storm possibly dropping meteorites or, lighting  ,  ice , and fire  from some of the master spells but in a map wide area and less frequent to hit so it dosnt destroy your whole colony.

RyanRim

Quote from: blizzardwolf420 on January 04, 2018, 11:44:09 PM
when i think of magical calamity i think maybe of like  spawning a boss creature that you have to deal with accompanied by a special storm possibly dropping meteorites or, lighting  ,  ice , and fire  from some of the master spells but in a map wide area and less frequent to hit so it dosnt destroy your whole colony.
This, is actually good idea for a "questing" system. Really like it that the bosses would drop special scrolls/magical empowerments. So mages could actually be challenged by something...

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

Canute

Yeah a boss would be easyer then caravan request for scrolls/books.
Did you try to load 9000 berries into a portal pod ? :-)
Me either i just wait until the mass teleport get updated.

Torann

Just released the latest update: v1.6.1.
Update includes quite a few new additions:

• New class: Necromancer - a sorcerer of the dark arts with a central focus of raising corpses as undead minions.  Undead 'appear' as the colonists they once were, but will lose almost all traits, skills, and behaviors that made them human.  Undead possess no needs and can work throughout the day and night.  There are some skills they will no longer be capable of, such as research, learning or caring.  They also move considerably slower.  The magic that creates the undead must be sustained by the necromancer(s), a side product of this is that the tissue of undead will slowly knit itself back together (though limbs and other destroyed body parts are gone for good); if multiple necromancers exist on a map, they will share the cost to sustain undead, regardless of who created the undead.  If no necromancers exist on the map with undead, the undead will return to their original state (dead).

The necromancer gets several supplemental spells. Fog of Torment chokes the life out of any living that remain inside the fog and attempts to kill through excessive pain; undead are healed by the fog.  The necromancer can consume undead or corpses to replenish mana  (and life if trained to do so).  Lastly, the necromancer can exert power over the biological and arcane energies within a corpse or undead turn it into an explosives that will detonate after a short period.

A few notes: there are currently no pawn thoughts concerning necro's or undead, these will be added down the road to add more depth to the class and their interaction with the living.  Necromancers are a very 'indirect' class, so please provide feedback on the feel and balance of the class.  Lastly, during limited playtesting, this class can reach levels of arcane weakness great enough to kill themselves... so keep that in mind before creating another group of undead.

• New Class: Bladedancer - a close combat glass cannon.  The bladedancer excels at rapid assaults, but does not perform well in a sustained fight.  Through two skill lines, they can gain considerable boosts in passives that improve hit chance, dodge, movement, and manipulation.  Their primary opening skill is called "phase strike" which lets them phase out of existence at one location, and phase into existence at another, immediately striking enemies upon entry.  In addition to this attack, they can perform a point blank blade spin, striking all enemies in the immediate vicinity for heavy damage.  They also have some versatility with Seismic Slash, which strikes all enemies along a line for heavy damage.  Bladedancers must have a melee weapon equipped as their primary to use their skills.

• The bladedancer introduces a different approach to damage calculations, which incorporate pawn melee dps, weapon, dps, weapon quality, skill modifiers, and weapon multipliers - all these values are used to determine the damage for each skill which should provide a much more accurate representation of the weapon the pawn is using.  Gladiator skills based on weapon damage were also reworked with these calculations.

• Eye of the Storm now has a 3s delay before it will begin striking targets.  That being said, after this delay, it will strike any target in its path with impunity.

• Magic and Might panes were reworked with consideration for the lowest vertical resolution - all options should now be visible on all resolutions.

• Arcane script costs were reduced by 20% across the board.  Arcane spells were reduced by 40%.

• A new series of magical learning items have been added - all arcane scripts now have a "torn" version.  These torn scripts will promote a pawn to their advanced trait and grant a random number of spells belonging to the class.  It's possible to advance and learn no spells - in cases like this, you will need to wait until the pawn levels by possessing excess mana to learn new spells.  Usually, the pawn will learn 1 or 2 of their class spells.  The spells that aren't learned may be learned via the magic tab, once enough ability points are available to learn the spell.  Unlearned spells cost between 1 to 3 ability points.  Torn scripts are considerably cheaper than their completed counterparts.  At this time, there are no torn scripts for combat classes, but the combat scroll costs have been reduced.

Torann

I do like the idea of a "boss" type event.  Two possibilities I think could work is the rogue elemental that wanders around and creates random blizzards, firestorms, tornados... depending on its element.  I could also create an undead horde led by a necromancer that wanders around the map raising corpses to join their undead army...

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Torann on January 05, 2018, 05:20:40 PM
Just released the latest update: v1.6.1.
Update includes quite a few new additions:

• New class: Necromancer - a sorcerer of the dark arts with a central focus of raising corpses as undead minions.  Undead 'appear' as the colonists they once were, but will lose almost all traits, skills, and behaviors that made them human.  Undead possess no needs and can work throughout the day and night.  There are some skills they will no longer be capable of, such as research, learning or caring.  They also move considerably slower.  The magic that creates the undead must be sustained by the necromancer(s), a side product of this is that the tissue of undead will slowly knit itself back together (though limbs and other destroyed body parts are gone for good); if multiple necromancers exist on a map, they will share the cost to sustain undead, regardless of who created the undead.  If no necromancers exist on the map with undead, the undead will return to their original state (dead).

The necromancer gets several supplemental spells. Fog of Torment chokes the life out of any living that remain inside the fog and attempts to kill through excessive pain; undead are healed by the fog.  The necromancer can consume undead or corpses to replenish mana  (and life if trained to do so).  Lastly, the necromancer can exert power over the biological and arcane energies within a corpse or undead turn it into an explosives that will detonate after a short period.

A few notes: there are currently no pawn thoughts concerning necro's or undead, these will be added down the road to add more depth to the class and their interaction with the living.  Necromancers are a very 'indirect' class, so please provide feedback on the feel and balance of the class.  Lastly, during limited playtesting, this class can reach levels of arcane weakness great enough to kill themselves... so keep that in mind before creating another group of undead.

• New Class: Bladedancer - a close combat glass cannon.  The bladedancer excels at rapid assaults, but does not perform well in a sustained fight.  Through two skill lines, they can gain considerable boosts in passives that improve hit chance, dodge, movement, and manipulation.  Their primary opening skill is called "phase strike" which lets them phase out of existence at one location, and phase into existence at another, immediately striking enemies upon entry.  In addition to this attack, they can perform a point blank blade spin, striking all enemies in the immediate vicinity for heavy damage.  They also have some versatility with Seismic Slash, which strikes all enemies along a line for heavy damage.  Bladedancers must have a melee weapon equipped as their primary to use their skills.

• The bladedancer introduces a different approach to damage calculations, which incorporate pawn melee dps, weapon, dps, weapon quality, skill modifiers, and weapon multipliers - all these values are used to determine the damage for each skill which should provide a much more accurate representation of the weapon the pawn is using.  Gladiator skills based on weapon damage were also reworked with these calculations.

• Eye of the Storm now has a 3s delay before it will begin striking targets.  That being said, after this delay, it will strike any target in its path with impunity.

• Magic and Might panes were reworked with consideration for the lowest vertical resolution - all options should now be visible on all resolutions.

• Arcane script costs were reduced by 20% across the board.  Arcane spells were reduced by 40%.

• A new series of magical learning items have been added - all arcane scripts now have a "torn" version.  These torn scripts will promote a pawn to their advanced trait and grant a random number of spells belonging to the class.  It's possible to advance and learn no spells - in cases like this, you will need to wait until the pawn levels by possessing excess mana to learn new spells.  Usually, the pawn will learn 1 or 2 of their class spells.  The spells that aren't learned may be learned via the magic tab, once enough ability points are available to learn the spell.  Unlearned spells cost between 1 to 3 ability points.  Torn scripts are considerably cheaper than their completed counterparts.  At this time, there are no torn scripts for combat classes, but the combat scroll costs have been reduced.

Boy, you sure do know how to work your magic, into.. uh... MORE MAGIC! :P

billyma6

Hey, I started playing with the necromancers, and I discovered if you set a corpse to explode then consume that corpse, it bugs out like this.

https://gist.github.com/d527dbd60c9f3af2591fb33ad2c8384e

It doesn't go away, even with the Destroy action, so I'm stuck with it in my world.

Torann

Quote from: billyma6 on January 05, 2018, 11:27:19 PM
Hey, I started playing with the necromancers, and I discovered if you set a corpse to explode then consume that corpse, it bugs out like this.

So you set a corpse to explode, then consumed it...?  I'm going to make it so that if a necro consumes an exploding corpse, itll make the necro explode.   :o

billyma6

Quote from: Torann on January 06, 2018, 01:56:42 AM
Quote from: billyma6 on January 05, 2018, 11:27:19 PM

So you set a corpse to explode, then consumed it...?  I'm going to make it so that if a necro consumes an exploding corpse, itll make the necro explode.   :o

Hey, all in the name of SCIENCE!    ;D

Edit: also, help me how do i get rid of it it keeps giving me all these pesky errors every tick