[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyma6

Hey guys, what does "AI hard mode" mean? Ya know, in the options menu?

Sarge

Quote from: billyma6 on January 13, 2018, 08:58:35 PM

Quote from: Torann on January 13, 2018, 03:50:27 PM
  • To support AI casting, all mod traits can occur at random on pawns.  These pawns will come equipped with the full spell complement for their class.  If AI casting is turned on, AI mages will occasionally cast a retaliation spell before they die or are downed rather than allowing themselves to be captured.  On hard mode, they will always do this.

billyma6

Quote from: Sarge on January 13, 2018, 10:17:35 PM
Quote from: billyma6 on January 13, 2018, 08:58:35 PM

Quote from: Torann on January 13, 2018, 03:50:27 PM
  • To support AI casting, all mod traits can occur at random on pawns.  These pawns will come equipped with the full spell complement for their class.  If AI casting is turned on, AI mages will occasionally cast a retaliation spell before they die or are downed rather than allowing themselves to be captured.  On hard mode, they will always do this.
Oh. Whoops. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯[/list]

Sarge

I just cast my first Lightning Storm. Ho-ly-fuck... I'm in love.

EDIT: Come to think of it, enemy pawns gifted in magic and all of the other cool special abilities created with this mod will be very dangerous and will require some special attention and tactics to fight and defend against.

Having to run through a pack of enemy pawns one by one to see who is gifted with what and then to try keep track of them just by name in the chaos of a fight is not ideal.

Is it possible to 'mark' any character with any of these talents somehow? Perhaps some glow effects of different colours designating the toon and his gift?

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Sarge on January 13, 2018, 11:56:52 PM
I just cast my first Lightning Storm. Ho-ly-fuck... I'm in love.

EDIT: Come to think of it, enemy pawns gifted in magic and all of the other cool special abilities created with this mod will be very dangerous and will require some special attention and tactics to fight and defend against.

Having to run through a pack of enemy pawns one by one to see who is gifted with what and then to try keep track of them just by name in the chaos of a fight is not ideal.

Is it possible to 'mark' any character with any of these talents somehow? Perhaps some glow effects of different colours designating the toon and his gift?

Sarge, you just gave me a fucking great idea for a mod suggestion. Why not have it as any special "trait" that shows up for any pawns on your maps, you could have marked?

Canute

About the Possession spell to temp. control a pawn.
Once they die, you pawns geting the "colonist died" bad mood.

Since you wanted that this pawn should be controlable, i don't think this bad mood is avoidable ?
Maybe leave the colony faction before the heart attack strikes, but then you still have the dead during regular combat.

It is a very strong combat ability to let the attacker fight for you, but when you are geting that bad mood, it balance it a bit, but still annoying.
I know from the Star War Force mod, that 1-2 sith lord can deal with a whole raid, because they berserk them and let them fight each other. While they drink coffee behind their walls.

Sarge

@Harry

There was a small mod like that which you could use to mark sappers, pawns with cool weapons that you might want  and some such. 4 things in total.

Problem with that mod was that you had to manually go through every enemy and mark them yourself. For obvious reasons in the case of that mod at least.

In this case though I would much rather that you don't need to do all of it manually for every encounter but that it is coded. So if a posse of 20 raiders rock up and then you can see that there are two gifted ones as they enter the map since the lightning mage has a soft yellow glow and the dire mage a red one.

EDIT: The last one was supposed to be fire* mage. Typo. Can we have dire mages now though please?

Torann

AI Hard Mode also means that AI will use much more advanced spells, which means more dangerous, deadly, and challenging.
As already noted, when an AI is downed in hardmode, they will -always- use a retaliation spell.  What's implied with this is that you will have a much harder time recruiting full mages and should expect to advance most of your mages from the precursor trait.  You can, however, purchase a slave with full magic, or gain them from an escapee.

As far as marking magic pawns.  This should be a relatively easy thing to do, I'll see about adding a quick settings option to do this, or perhaps just make the mini-mod that allows people to select which traits they want marked.

billyma6

Quote from: Canute on January 14, 2018, 06:32:58 AM
About the Possession spell to temp. control a pawn.
Once they die, you pawns geting the "colonist died" bad mood.

Since you wanted that this pawn should be controlable, i don't think this bad mood is avoidable ?
Maybe leave the colony faction before the heart attack strikes, but then you still have the dead during regular combat.

It is a very strong combat ability to let the attacker fight for you, but when you are geting that bad mood, it balance it a bit, but still annoying.
I know from the Star War Force mod, that 1-2 sith lord can deal with a whole raid, because they berserk them and let them fight each other. While they drink coffee behind their walls.

Wait, just got an idea. What about a spell that allows the mage to berserk an enemy pawn against themselves while giving the pawn a buff of speed, strength, etc, while limiting them to a certain amount of time, after which they die extravagantly?

Sarge

Torann,

Can you turn the volume down a little on the Lightning Storm? It's way louder than anything else.

Harry_Dicks

I'm getting this same error 3 times, once each for following. They all have the same trace. I believe I remember seeing the Elemental and Minion come from your mod, the Summoner or Arcane guy or something, right?

Config error in Undead: TraitDef Undead has 0 commonality.
Config error in Elemental: no parts vulnerable to frostbite
Config error in Minion: no parts vulnerable to frostbite

Config error in Elemental: no parts vulnerable to frostbite
Verse.Log:Warning(String)
Verse.DefDatabase`1:ErrorCheckAllDefs()
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[], Exception&)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke(Object, BindingFlags, Binder, Object[], CultureInfo)
System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[])
Verse.GenGeneric:InvokeStaticMethodOnGenericType(Type, Type, String)
Verse.PlayDataLoader:DoPlayLoad()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:LoadAllPlayData(Boolean)
Verse.Root:<Start>m__1()
Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
Verse.LongEventHandler:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>m__1()

blizzardwolf420

so torran any idea whats causing the conflict with your mod and the rim of madness mod? it seems to conflict with a bunch of errors , I tested all my mods and rim of madness seems to be the only one that really tosses up any errors with your mod. A shame really I really wanted to use these mods together but ill have to just stick with your mod for now till someone can figure out what the conflict is, based on the errors given it seems to be someone with jecstools.

Canute

blizzardwolf420,
update your jecstools mod.
I got plenty of errors because of an old version of that.
Currently i don't got errors with tmagic and vampire, just warnings about unfinished stuff like teleporter.

Torann

Quote from: blizzardwolf420 on January 14, 2018, 08:48:27 PM
so torran any idea whats causing the conflict with your mod and the rim of madness mod? it seems to conflict with a bunch of errors , I tested all my mods and rim of madness seems to be the only one that really tosses up any errors with your mod. A shame really I really wanted to use these mods together but ill have to just stick with your mod for now till someone can figure out what the conflict is, based on the errors given it seems to be someone with jecstools.

I play with all the ROM mods and don't have any issues.  Like Canute said, best bet is to make sure your mods are up-to-date and all supporting mods (like jecs tools and hugslib) are also up-to-date.  Also check your mod load order to make sure supporting mods are loaded first.
If you still have issues, I'd recommend deleting the entire folder for each mod your having issues with - sometimes mod developers reorganize or recompile differently but it'll leave old files that can conflict.

Sarge

I got raided by 3 guys in my very early game. RNGesus decided that one would be a fire mage and another a lightning mage. I'm playing with AI Hard activated.

It's a whooooole new difficulty level is what I'm saying. You've been warned.