[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toketsu

Quote from: Torann on January 21, 2018, 06:27:48 PM
Updated to v1.7.6

• The Arcane mage master spell "Gateway" has been added. Through intensive research and study, mages have been able to fold reality between two places, allowing instant travel. This knowledge has manifested in two ways - the Arcane mage can now learn the Gateway master spell and perform a mass summon from any colonist occupied map to the caster position.

[li] Colonies are now able to research a method to apply the Arcane Gateway spell and construct Portals. These artifacts may then be activated by (and only by) Arcane mages that have learned the Gateway spell. As long as a portal is charged with energy, it is capable of instantly transporting items and pawns to a distant location.
[/li][/list]

o-o Been waiting for portals! Also, sorry but i'm 100% dry from ideas, might take a while to recover.

Canute

*reach Toketsu a Potion of high inspiration and bandage his fingers*

Toketsu

Quote from: Canute on January 22, 2018, 03:23:21 AM
*reach Toketsu a Potion of high inspiration and bandage his fingers*
o-o

Harry_Dicks

So I'm thinking with these portals I might be able to have a psuedo Z level with maybe the Set-Up Camp mod. With that, you can make permanent 75x75 maps. I'm thinking if you could just use Dev mode and put rock walls around the edge of your "camp" map, so that the only things that will come into the map will be stuff you spawn in. Don't want raids, animals, plants, or other factions' pawns just wandering in. Would be cool if you could have it as permanent night time too, to simulate this being underground, or deep under a mountain or as your dungeon.

Oh, the new mod Biomes might be perfect for this if I could have a mini cave biome, only accessable with teleporters. I'm thinking it would be cool to have my regular mountain/cave base, but deep within, it will have a teleporter to my special dungeon map, where I do all of my cult, prison labor, and other cynical stuff that I don't want any other factions to see (due to roleplay purposes, or I might put in major malices to mood if anyone sees these things going on.)

HerrColonel

This update cleared all the error I had, so thanks for that.

I still didn't managed to make the mass teleport work. Now it says "portal has collapsed" and explode instantly (without throwing any error). Does someone manage to use it? I tried with and without the \Mods\TMagic\Assemblies\JecTools.dll and always with the JecTools 1.0.8.6 loaded before

I'm doing the new portal research ATM, I was hoping to use that instead. But as far as I understand I need to build the portals on both end right?

Torann

Quote from: HerrColonel on January 23, 2018, 06:04:02 PM
This update cleared all the error I had, so thanks for that.

I still didn't managed to make the mass teleport work. Now it says "portal has collapsed" and explode instantly (without throwing any error). Does someone manage to use it? I tried with and without the \Mods\TMagic\Assemblies\JecTools.dll and always with the JecTools 1.0.8.6 loaded before

I'm doing the new portal research ATM, I was hoping to use that instead. But as far as I understand I need to build the portals on both end right?
Think of teleport as a pod launcher, because it basically is, just one with modified carrying capacity and range.  It has to be used outside on flat ground for the target square and every square around it (no rocks, no trees, no people).  If the area you attempt to cast the spell on wouldn't allow a building to be put there, then it won't let the teleport to be summoned there either, and it instantly collapses instead of generating a bunch of errors.

Portals are quite different.  These are buildings that you research, construct, then activate and set a destination.  Destinations can be pretty much anywhere (inside, outside, etc), it still has to be valid ground, you can't set the destination to the middle of a mountain.  They do not pair.  You can also portal to your own map.  This could be useful to move across the map quickly to get some pawns behind a raiding party to flank them (as an example).  The most useful scenario is probably to move items and pawns across the world instantly between colonies, but if you don't have a return portal, it'll be a one way trip.
Also remember that you need a fully trained Arcane mage that has learned Gateway to activate a portal.

Pawn --> Arcane Mage --> Learns Gateway -\
                                                                  |--> Activate Portal (choose destination) --> Charge portal --> use portal
Research Portals ---------> Build Portal-------/

Harry_Dicks

I think I'm stupid, but the constant use of portal and gateway has me a little confused until I check it out in game :P

Canute

Portal worked well for me, didn't used gateway yet.
But don't forget to have latest jecstools installed. And when you see yellow warnings about teleport at game startup there is something wrong and teleport didn't work.

Torann

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 24, 2018, 06:45:08 AM
I think I'm stupid, but the constant use of portal and gateway has me a little confused until I check it out in game :P
Haha yes, it can be a bit confusing.

"Teleport" is the pod launcher utility spell.
"Gateway" is the Arcane Mage master spell and works like a mass summon, except it has a global reach. (the area of effect ring currently does not show, but it has a 7square radius)
"Portals" are constructed buildings that can move items or pawns instantly and has a global reach.  (it's a "right click" option, so with a pawn selected, you right click the portal, select menu option "use portal")

Harry_Dicks

Oh awesome. So they do not require a mage. The previous post you made, with the lines and arrows, I think does not look proper on mobile for me, so I had trouble understanding.

Any chance you think we could have portals as a stand alone mod? ;D

Canute

You NEED an arcanist, just re-read the post 4 above you from torann.

HerrColonel

Thanks for the awesome explaination Torann. I'm going to try the teleporter again this evening. I used to cast it on a "clear" area (no trees, walls or chunks). But I didn't account for the small grass or plants that typically need to be removed when building. So I'm going to try again on a 100% clear concrete floor hopefully that is goin to work.
I'll also experiment with portal, but later when I'll have more colonies and the gateway spell =P

I noticed there's a new version of JecsTools on GitHub (1.0.8.7.1) so I'm going to use that. But I'm not sure if I need to keep or delete the JecsTools.dll located in \Mods\TMagic\Assemblies\

Thanks for taking time to reply

Torann

Quote from: HerrColonel on January 24, 2018, 09:32:24 AM
I noticed there's a new version of JecsTools on GitHub (1.0.8.7.1) so I'm going to use that. But I'm not sure if I need to keep or delete the JecsTools.dll located in \Mods\TMagic\Assemblies\
Delete it.  I'm not sure how that got there, maybe I made a slip in the past and it was included in an old version.  Regardless, the only .dll that should be in the TMagic\Assemblies\ folder is the TorannMagic.dll file.

Canute

Does these .dll even comes into game ?
I though the first loaded .dll count unlike patches. Thats why required mods should be placed at first.

Sarge

When I click on my Druid's Regenerate spell procs the Animal Hunting alert mod and releases it again the moment you cast it or cancel it.

I half shat myself twice before realising what was going on :D