[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

I bet most of us use Prepare carefully when they setup a new colony.
And at last i use the "Use points" option to keep the start a bit balanced.

But i notice when i add traits it nearly cost no or very less points.
Maybe you could change it that the traits from your mod cost something ?

WitchLyfe

Some images or a video would be nice.  I can't tell if my game is bugged or not.  I just picked this up, my Necromancer doesn't seem to start with any spells.  I waited for exp to go up naturally with maxed mp and leveled up the raise dead spell but I'm not finding it or any way to use the magic.  I thought it'd show up like the vamp spells in Rim of Madness Vampires but I'm not seeing anything.

No dev commands either to test things?  Or am I missing them?

Oh, think I leveled one of the passives instead of getting the actual skill?  Maybe the passives shouldn't be directly under the spells, lol.  Great, now I get to wait another week or two for exp from MP since he apparently has no spells to use.  I think it's a little odd that you can level up passives for skills that you don't have yet. 

So far the poison gas seems pretty balanced, strong against idling enemies but does nothing against manhunters and people rushing you.  I hope it doesn't get too overpowered, I'm liking it so far.

Jan2607

Your mages will earn XP on a slow rate over time. You earn more XP, when you use abilities.
You can go to options -> mod options, to set the XP gain rate higher.

With some bnad luck it can happen that you start without spells. You can learn spells via the skill tree (in your colonists tab "Magic") or through spell scrolls which you can buy or find in quests.
If everything works right, it should look like this:

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Canute

Quote from: WitchLyfe on January 29, 2018, 07:55:36 AM
Some images or a video would be nice.  I can't tell if my game is bugged or not.  I just picked this up, my Necromancer doesn't seem to start with any spells. 

You need 1-3 points to "Learn" spells.
A little button "Learn" appear next to the spell icon at the magic tab only when you got enough points to learn it.

WitchLyfe

Quote from: Jan2607 on January 29, 2018, 09:17:52 AM
Your mages will earn XP on a slow rate over time. You earn more XP, when you use abilities.
You can go to options -> mod options, to set the XP gain rate higher.

With some bnad luck it can happen that you start without spells. You can learn spells via the skill tree (in your colonists tab "Magic") or through spell scrolls which you can buy or find in quests.
If everything works right, it should look like this:

Thanks for the image and yeah, I know about the max MP exp.  Seems I just got really bad luck on my first test and ended up with no spells at the start.  Kinda funny to call yourself a Necromancer and you can't use a single spell... Lol

henk

I support the suggestion of making skill upgrades unavailable if you haven't learned the spell yet. In addition, listing the learning cost of spells would be useful to new players.

WitchLyfe

Quote from: henk on January 29, 2018, 12:03:54 PM
I support the suggestion of making skill upgrades unavailable if you haven't learned the spell yet. In addition, listing the learning cost of spells would be useful to new players.

I thought maybe there was a level requirement to some spells, didn't know some require multiple skill points till I just read it here.

Oh, Necromancers get a debuff for observing corpses, haha.  Zombies are really cool, kinda sad that they can't use magic but that's understandable (Killed a Druid and Ice Mage and kept them in my freezer in hopes they could).  They get a penalty for nudity, is that intentional?  Guess it depends on how human they remain.  Seems they still get a lot of buffs/debuffs like that.  Observing corpse though...  Sometimes they seem immune to that stuff but then randomly I'll catch them with some debuff for a bit, hmm.

Is there some way to dismiss/drop individual undead without penalty?  Occasionally I have to raise some minions in battle to distract enemies but I don't want them permanently on my team.  I do have some zombies I want to keep forever though.  Keep a freezer full of corpses ready for emergencies.  Raising the hasten undead passive doesn't seem to improve existing undead under your control as well, so it'd be nice if I could just drop them and rerez them instead of having to remurder them everytime I level the passive.

I somehow always manage to kill the magic users and leave all the useless pawns alive...

My undead also stopped gaining mining exp at level 7, is this intentional?  They're still getting crafting exp I believe.  I also think having an undead minion as a Necromancer will prevent you from gaining passive exp at max MP, unless there's a level cut off for that.  It won't raise at max MP anymore.

I made a Thrumbo undead and he's just constantly eating, his food gauge is dropping incredibly fast so it's all he can do.  What's up with that?  Tested with a MegaSloth and same thing.  Right after they eat their food gauge bombs, so they just eat constantly.

Sum up:

1. Undead still get some weird debuffs occasionally (Nudity for example seems odd).  Some may have been left over from when they were alive, not sure.  I'll try to test it more.  Yeah they get most the debuffs colonists can get, though it doesn't seem to affect them much.  Still kinda weird seeing it in their menu.

2. Undead seem to stop gaining mining exp at level 7, but continue gaining crafting exp past that level.

3. Having Necro summons out seems to stop you from gaining passive max mp exp, unless there's a level cut off for that.  Dunno if intentional.  It makes it pretty hard to level a Necro.  Shows 100% mana but no exp gain at all. 

4. Would like a way to "unrez" individual zombies.  I keep one as a crafting/cleaner but would like to be able to raise some temporarily for combat that don't stay in my colonist window and continue draining my pawn's mana.  I think the only way to get rid of them is to manually kill them atm?  Not sure if that'd give a debuff, I haven't tried it yet.  They're kinda a pain to kill anyways.

5. Turning some animals undead makes them constantly eat food, tested with MegaSloth and Thrumbo.  As soon as they eat, their food gauge drops back to where it was before they ate.  So they just eat forever.

6. Necro probably shouldn't get "Observed Corpse" debuff.  It's kinda their job, lol.

7. Minor, but increasing "Hasten" for undead summons doesn't improve existing undead under the Necro's control.  Wouldn't be much of an issue if number 4 is added, but having to rekill your zombies every time you raise the passive is obnoxious.

Edit:  Actually, I just tested killing my long time zombie and upon rerez'ing them, they appear to have lost all the skills they gained as an undead.  That really blows, I hope that can be fixed.  Atm I'd rather stick with the level 1 zombie but they're so slow...

8. Healing Consumption passive on the Consume Corpse spell doesn't seem to work at all.  Tested it on various animals and corpses.  Oh, it's just almost unnoticeable on animals.  I finally saw a slight improvement in health on a human corpse after checking percents.  A lot weaker than I thought it'd be.  It's kinda like, you get an extra hour before you bleed to death, lol.

Jan2607

Downed elementals won't despawn when summon duration expires. Even when they can walk again.

My bad, it was a downed hostile elemental...

Jan2607

Do you plan to give the combat classes some more learnable abilities? There are so many scrolls that mages can learn but I would love to have some textbooks for my sniper.

HerrColonel

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 28, 2018, 05:04:10 PMBut the idea is that smaller spells would not do this, only the big master, blow all your mana and juice at once, spells. So it should not affect the Paladin in any real, significant way.
I misunderstood. I'm OK with some extra costy spells.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 28, 2018, 05:04:10 PM
Speaking of paladins, you are making me think I need to get some of that Medieval Times armor in my game! Man I wish there were a lot more content for the medieval time period, and not just ALL WEAPONS AND ARMOR PACKS! >:(
I especially would like a shield for him (not his shield spell, an actual wooden shield =P) because right now the best option is a greatsword =/ having 1H shield would make many 1H weapons viable. I'll keep the greatsword on gladius though for the insane AOE dmg with high quality

exuvo

Mod compatibility bug report:
I am playing with this mod and Zombieland which works pretty well except for a Projectile_FogOfTorment seems to have made a zombie vomit. And as zombies are stripped down pawns they don't have needs and therefore the default vomit job fails when adding more hunger to the zombie.

Could you add a check for if the target pawn has the hunger need (or any needs at all) before adding the vomit job?
More debug info can be found on my initial bug report to zombieland

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: HerrColonel on January 30, 2018, 01:00:08 PM
I especially would like a shield for him (not his shield spell, an actual wooden shield =P) because right now the best option is a greatsword =/ having 1H shield would make many 1H weapons viable. I'll keep the greatsword on gladius though for the insane AOE dmg with high quality

Man, there was a shield mod for A17 I saw somewhere, and I think I have it downloaded for the textures. But I only found one mod that added a shield for B18. I want to say it was a tribal shield maybe, it might have come from Tribal Essentials, or Survivalist Additions mods. I had planned on just adding in the textures from the A17 mod, and making new defs for the different shield types I had. All of that is lost somewhere in one of my dozens upon dozens of daily "bin" folders, from all of my RimWorld mod downloading/editing shenanigans.

Just know, if you really want a shield for him, it wouldn't take you but maybe an hour or two of your time to make your own shield mod, using the resources of other people's mods, if you are actually dedicated to it. You shouldn't steal their textures/code to make your own mod for distribution, though, without at least getting the original author's permission first. I'm not sure if you knew that already or not, but at least putting it out there for others that don't! :)

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure if making a shield mod this way would actually achieve what you want, as I'm not sure what you actually want from a shield mod either. Because I think the mod that adds it, the shield just counts as the middle or shell layer, or both, on only one of the pawns' arms/hands and possibley that shoulder. So I think this means it would only ever actually be effective if the pawn were to receive damage on those limbs. Or you could go with the head canon that I'm going with. That is, the shield belt in this sci-fi setting is perfect for a futuristic paladin! ;) I'm actually using the Hardcore Armors Hellfire and Goliath mods, that come with their own shield belt built in. Made by the same guy who made Rah's Bionics, so you know they look nice and it is a well built mod.

Canute

Since i didn't caravan much since i got the teleport spell i didn't notice it before.
On a caravan you don't gain mana.

ChJees

Quote from: Canute on January 30, 2018, 04:44:06 PM
Since i didn't caravan much since i got the teleport spell i didn't notice it before.
On a caravan you don't gain mana.

That is quite the oversight. Should not be hard to fix though for Torann.

Jan2607

I got a caravan request to deliver 242 bows - for one combat form: gladiator. Wtf?  :D