[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Canute on February 02, 2018, 05:16:18 PM
QuoteI really like the idea that anybody could become a mage too.  But maybe they have much lower mana reserves or their spells are weakened, probably make it so it takes much longer to learn spells and/or they can't learn master spells.

Very curious.
He mention that mages are overpowered, but then he want that everyone become a mage! :-) To made them are rare is the only way to balance them.
But otherhand, if anyone is a mage, mellee fights would be very difficult when everyone can explode ! :-)

If you want every pawn with spells/abilities maybe try out the Vampire mod.

Well if there are different tiers of magic, you might have different ways of building it.

One build is like the Vampires mod, where if a lesser mage "consumes" the "mana/soul/whatever" of a higher tier mage, then this mage will advance to the tier of the mage they just consumed.

Another way could be everyone has a much higher chance of being magical, but the highest tiers have a very low chance of ever spawning into the game. Most people would only be a basic magic user, maybe even none at all.

WitchLyfe

Quote from: Canute on February 02, 2018, 05:16:18 PM
QuoteI really like the idea that anybody could become a mage too.  But maybe they have much lower mana reserves or their spells are weakened, probably make it so it takes much longer to learn spells and/or they can't learn master spells.

Very curious.
He mention that mages are overpowered, but then he want that everyone become a mage! :-) To made them are rare is the only way to balance them.
But otherhand, if anyone is a mage, mellee fights would be very difficult when everyone can explode ! :-)

If you want every pawn with spells/abilities maybe try out the Vampire mod.

Are you dense or something?  Lol.  There are plenty of ways to balance that anybody could become a mage.  If you read my post, I listed some examples.  I didn't plan for it to be something easy/simple to do.  I mentioned it could have special requirements like items, quests, requiring special training, and have penalties to balance it.  I also mentioned that I'd want it to be optional if it happened because it could still be unbalanced, or might not be what everybody wants.

Reading is hard huh?  Why randomly pick a fight with somebody over their opinion, especially without reading their post properly?  Lmao.  You could have easily said "This isn't something I'd want", without attacking my opinion, but you chose to be a dick, why is that?  Rough home life or something?

This mod is just fun to talk about since it has so much potential.  Not like I think the dev will actually add anything I'm mentioning.  First really big rpg/fantasy type mod I've found.  Vampires is great too but it's still poorly balanced in my opinion and I get bored of it quickly.  The fact that the enemies can use spells does wonders for this mod's balance.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 02, 2018, 05:44:07 PM

Well if there are different tiers of magic, you might have different ways of building it.

One build is like the Vampires mod, where if a lesser mage "consumes" the "mana/soul/whatever" of a higher tier mage, then this mage will advance to the tier of the mage they just consumed.

Another way could be everyone has a much higher chance of being magical, but the highest tiers have a very low chance of ever spawning into the game. Most people would only be a basic magic user, maybe even none at all.

Tiers of mages would be awesome.  Would be similar to everybody being born with different physical potentials.  Most people can play basketball, but without the proper height you're at a massive advantage trying to become a pro eh?

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: WitchLyfe on February 02, 2018, 07:23:20 PM
Are you dense or something?  Lol.  There are plenty of ways to balance that anybody could become a mage.  If you read my post, I listed some examples.  I didn't plan for it to be something easy/simple to do.  I mentioned it could have special requirements like items, quests, requiring special training, and have penalties to balance it.  I also mentioned that I'd want it to be optional if it happened because it could still be unbalanced, or might not be what everybody wants.

Reading is hard huh?  Why randomly pick a fight with somebody over their opinion, especially without reading their post properly?  Lmao.  You could have easily said "This isn't something I'd want", without attacking my opinion, but you chose to be a dick, why is that?  Rough home life or something?

This mod is just fun to talk about since it has so much potential.  Not like I think the dev will actually add anything I'm mentioning.  First really big rpg/fantasy type mod I've found.  Vampires is great too but it's still poorly balanced in my opinion and I get bored of it quickly.  The fact that the enemies can use spells does wonders for this mod's balance.

Oh my god I'm dying over here. I think Canute means well, but he has trouble with English as a secondary language.

Canute, my friend, I'm sorry but you really do have an issue of misunderstanding people a lot. Maybe it's the language thing, but you should understand that the way you come across to people, you can be off-putting. Listen, I'm no angel, but you seem to put that out there more often than not. I love you buddy, but c'mon man. ::)

Tiers of mages would be awesome.  Would be similar to everybody being born with different physical potentials.  Most people can play basketball, but without the proper height you're at a massive advantage trying to become a pro eh?

Definitely. I love how well Torann is developing this mod. It's like every update is just around the corner with something awesome for us! ;D

WitchLyfe

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 02, 2018, 08:00:46 PM
Oh my god I'm dying over here. I think Canute means well, but he has trouble understanding English.

Canute, my friend, I'm sorry but you really do have an issue of misunderstanding people a lot. Maybe it's the language thing, but you should understand that the way you come across to people, you can be off-putting. Listen, I'm no angel, but you seem to put that out there more often than not. I love you buddy, but c'mon man.

Oh...is that it?  Now I kinda feel bad if they weren't intentionally as hostile as they seemed x.x

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: WitchLyfe on February 02, 2018, 08:02:42 PM
Oh...is that it?  Now I kinda feel bad if they weren't intentionally as hostile as they seemed x.x

I wouldn't feel too bad, I've said something to him twice now recently because he keeps doing the same thing to me. He is saying silly stuff, a lot.

Torann

Quote from: Radis_cale on February 02, 2018, 04:01:41 PM
-About the druid spell cure disease, improving cure disease power at level 2 say: 75% chance to reduce severity by 2, and at level 3 it say: 52% chance to reduce severity by 2 and 32% chance to reduce severity by 3. Is it intended ? Is it me that doesn't understand something ?
This is a good question, sorry it's a bit confusing.  Many types of diseases or infections have stages to them, so when trying to cure a disease that is in the later stages, it might lessen the disease instead of cure it outright.  For example, the Flu has minor, major, and extreme stages - so if you are curing a pawn that is in the extreme stage of flu with level 2, it has a 75% chance to reduce the Flu stage to 'minor' and a 25% chance to reduce it back to 'major.'  At level 3, it has a 32% chance to completely cure the Flu.  I hope that makes sense.

-Mana sickness, the idea of the mana drain event does not bother me that much, but seriously, why it takes so long to recover from mana sickness, and also the mages who do not have 100% mana at the beginning of the drain have a great chance of dying, it's a bit extreme.
I haven't noticed it being very lethal, but if the event starts and you have low mana then it's definitely possible.  A few things you can do: keep mana potions on hand, you can "administer mana potion" if the mage becomes unconscious.  Also, wounded mages (mages in pain) or mages with lowered consciousness are more susceptible to mana drain effects.  Siphon Mana and Transfer Mana can also be very useful in these situations.

I would like to share my ideas too.
Thanks for the feedback, I really like the idea of social interactions between magic users, kind of like a mentor!

Not like I think the dev will actually add anything I'm mentioning. 
Believe it or not, I take notes of every idea contributed here.  Just realize that I'm a single modder and this is a hobby so I'm limited on time.  I imagine most modders are in the same situation.  We also have to figure out how to build idea's into RimWorld, some idea's are easier and have ways already built to do this, others can be very difficult and have to be implemented from scratch.

Also, there are quite a few bugs mentioned that are fixed in the version I'm working on, but the Ranger class is only partially complete and will need to be finished prior to the next update - sorry about the delay.

henk

Quote from: Radis_cale on February 02, 2018, 04:01:41 PM
-Mana sickness, the idea of the mana drain event does not bother me that much, but seriously, why it takes so long to recover from mana sickness, and also the mages who do not have 100% mana at the beginning of the drain have a great chance of dying, it's a bit extreme.

I would like to share my ideas too.

-Change the mana drain event, instead of draining the mana, force the mages to use more mana to cast their spells, with why not a longer cooldown or even disable the most powerful spells.
I like this. Mana drain hits without warning, and if you don't have potions, can very easily kill a pawn. On the other hand, mages ARE overpowered...

henk

It seems minions don't clean, even when idle. Is it just me? Could be a mod conflict. They do rush to combat though, even though their flavor text says they dislike combat.

If you pause the game, draft a pawn, give them a move order, then chain a bunch of spells, the pawn will cast all spells, ignoring cooldowns and mana costs (their mana cannot go below 0).

Please remove the cooldown on dry ground and moisturize ground. It makes sense to want to cast those spells quickly, since they cost so little and only affect one tile each.

What about having more than one master spell per profession, but each pawn is only able to learn one master spell?

And what about having other magic-type traits?

- Magical prodigy : cannot learn spells with levels, but can learn any non-master scroll spell.
- Magical savant : cannot learn spells with levels, but can learn any number of master spells from any specialization. Only master spells.

And traits that affect only magic users (assuming you can have traits require other traits)
- Fickle mage : cannot accumulate skill points. Skill points are spent automatically when leveling. May unlock new spells for 1 skill point.
- Superior mind : increases the maximum mana pool (or halves mana costs and mana regeneration)
- Wild mage : Increased mana regeneration, but every spell gives negative effects
- Quick caster : half casting time for spells. Increased cooldowns

Ramsis

Oh my god I'm dying over here. I think Canute means well, but he has trouble understanding English.

Canute, my friend, I'm sorry but you really do have an issue of misunderstanding people a lot. Maybe it's the language thing, but you should understand that the way you come across to people, you can be off-putting. Listen, I'm no angel, but you seem to put that out there more often than not. I love you buddy, but c'mon man.

Witch try to keep in mind that our forum is global in terms of welcomed users. A community built upon countless languages and ideas, as such just because someone speaks in your tongue doesn't mean they grasp it 100 percent. :D Save me the trouble of having to yell at you next time by just not assuming everyone is being a negative individual. Not to mention if someone is being a hostile bugger just report them with the forum's report function. Ask Harry, I loooooove stepping in! <3
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Harry_Dicks

I see a new post on the magic thread, and I say to myself, "awesome!" As I am scrolling down, I see the red on the left of the screen, then more red letters on the screen, and I'm thinking, "Shit! This is it. Welp, it's been fun, boys!"

Torann

Quote from: henk on February 02, 2018, 09:22:05 PM
It seems minions don't clean, even when idle. Is it just me? Could be a mod conflict. They do rush to combat though, even though their flavor text says they dislike combat.
Yeah, there's some growth needed in the minion AI thinktree.

Please remove the cooldown on dry ground and moisturize ground. It makes sense to want to cast those spells quickly, since they cost so little and only affect one tile each.
Done.

Quote from: henk
What about having more than one master spell per profession, but each pawn is only able to learn one master spell?

And what about having other magic-type traits?

- Magical prodigy : cannot learn spells with levels, but can learn any non-master scroll spell.
- Magical savant : cannot learn spells with levels, but can learn any number of master spells from any specialization. Only master spells.

And traits that affect only magic users (assuming you can have traits require other traits)
- Fickle mage : cannot accumulate skill points. Skill points are spent automatically when leveling. May unlock new spells for 1 skill point.
- Superior mind : increases the maximum mana pool (or halves mana costs and mana regeneration)
- Wild mage : Increased mana regeneration, but every spell gives negative effects
- Quick caster : half casting time for spells. Increased cooldowns
Biggest thing holding up class development right now is the magic pane.  It can't scroll and it's not as clear or intuitive as I'd like, so that needs to be fixed first.  After that's done, it'll open up a lot of new things, like sub-classes or selective development and more ability options in general.  Lot of good supporting traits ideas, most of which shouldn't be too hard to add.

I'll look into the bug.

Canute

Don't worry i have a magic shield against this ! :-)

Radis_cale

Just got a incapable of violence necromancer, he can't do anything, even raising the dead is violent ^^

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Radis_cale on February 03, 2018, 04:06:59 AM
Just got a incapable of violence necromancer, he can't do anything, even raising the dead is violent ^^

Well who are you to interfere with this necromancer's moral conundrum? ;D

UNDEAD LIVES MATTER!

Maybe try RF - Pawns Are Capable! until this is fixed. ;)

henk

Still better than an incapable of violence blademaster. Not even one passive skill helped with non-violent tasks. But hey, that's Rimworld traits for you!