[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmark8910

O Glorious ModMaker,

I enjoy a certain Rimworld stream, so I'm going to test this mod with the mods the streamer's using, per below:

HugsLib ; Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering ; Basic Bridges ; Medical Tab ; B18 More Furniture ; Relations Tab ; Blueprints ; Change Dresser ; Hand me that brick ; EdB Prepare Carefully ; Rimsenal Storyteller ; Rimsenal Rimhair ; Area Unlocker ; More Faction Bases ; Medieval Times ; MJ MiniMap ; Hospitality ; Sunlamp power ; ResearchPal ; A dog said ; SS researchable stat upgrades ; Archipalago ; More Trade ships ; More trait slots ; Wall lights ; Animal Tab ; Razzle Dazzle! ; that garden mod whose name I'm forgetting ; that extra stones & minerals mod whose name I'm also forgetting

I may add in a few more for testing. Any requests, O Modmaker? And any particular features you'd like tested on this mod? ^.^

Torann

Quote from: Darkmark8910 on February 07, 2018, 10:22:00 AM
O Glorious ModMaker,

I enjoy a certain Rimworld stream, so I'm going to test this mod with the mods the streamer's using, per below:

HugsLib ; Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering ; Basic Bridges ; Medical Tab ; B18 More Furniture ; Relations Tab ; Blueprints ; Change Dresser ; Hand me that brick ; EdB Prepare Carefully ; Rimsenal Storyteller ; Rimsenal Rimhair ; Area Unlocker ; More Faction Bases ; Medieval Times ; MJ MiniMap ; Hospitality ; Sunlamp power ; ResearchPal ; A dog said ; SS researchable stat upgrades ; Archipalago ; More Trade ships ; More trait slots ; Wall lights ; Animal Tab ; Razzle Dazzle! ; that garden mod whose name I'm forgetting ; that extra stones & minerals mod whose name I'm also forgetting

I may add in a few more for testing. Any requests, O Modmaker? And any particular features you'd like tested on this mod? ^.^
Nothing in particular I suppose.  I'm not 100% clear on what you're looking for in your test.  If it's immersion, the necromancer and summoner are the roughest and have the most 'social' impact on a colony.  The priest and ranger are the newest classes, and thus have had the least feedback on playstyle, power, etc.  If you're looking for bugs/conflicts, I don't see anything there that should cause an issue and I use most of those mods myself.  I'd be curious to know how 'SS researchable stat upgrades' affects this mod.  I don't have a built-in custom scenario yet, but if you're using EDB prepare carefully then I'd recommend a "magically gifted and/or physically adept" trait for 1 (crash landed) or 2 (tribe), if you want a faster start, select one of the advanced traits to start with (Lightning Mage for example).  Other than that, let me know how it goes!

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Torann on February 07, 2018, 02:51:32 PM
I'd be curious to know how 'SS researchable stat upgrades' affects this mod.

I was posting some stuff for the thread on Researchable Stat Upgrades, because when I was looking at it, there is some very interesting stuff. For example, one research makes your turrets shoot 4 instead of 3 bullets. He has made a custom class that can, "This class is made especially for editing things inside <verbs><li>. This includes weapon properties" this also works for comps as well. I have been thinking about customizing this mod a lot, you can have it change all sorts of interesting things as you progress through the game.

Hypothetically, could we ever have a mod similar to this, but made for TMagic? For example, we have an entire research trees/tabs dedicated to physical and magic users. As you progress throughout the magical tree, it could increase your magic users maximum mana, mana recovery rate, whatever. It could maybe even level up "universal" spells that any mages can learn. Same things for stamina for the physical classes. Maybe also things like +X% fire spell damage upgrades, fireball now casts two fireballs, eye of the storm now lasts 10% longer, etc.

Anyway, thoughts on the witch doctor/voodoo priests? If it's a no-go because of the stationary mechanics and such, I understand. Was just curious of other's and Torann's thoughts. :)

Torann

I think the totem concept has real potential.  I see the class as a more utility focused version of the summoner and I've already added it to my design manual as a class type.  Right now, that list has about 12-13 new classes that could potentially find their way into the mod.

That being said, I'm putting my focus on refining the classes that are in the game as well as introducing some new features.  The Bard is in the works now, but that will be the last class for a bit while other aspects of the mod get developed.

Harry_Dicks

Sounds great! I'm excited in whatever direction you decide to take your mod. Do you plan on making any special items? Maybe there could be a very rare, or takes a long time to make, legendary weapons for the classes? Maybe 2-3 different types each? Example, maybe the ranger has a bow that will give very long range and great accuracy, but has a long cooldown and poor short range. A different bow could be fast firing, low damage, medium range, things like that. Maybe one bow allows the ranger to have flaming arrows, one to have ice arrows, one to have bleeding damage arrows, etc.

Hmm, most of that stuff is xml only anyway, might have to whip up something at least for myself, if there aren't any plans for special items in the future. I love how well this mod is bringing fantasy into RimWorld's sci-fi universe, but it feels like it is blending so well. ;D

WitchLyfe

Been enjoying the Priest so far.  I love that they're a pacifist to balance them.  Sadly I haven't had a major raid yet or disease issue to test their full potential (Worst was a centipede that only shot one of my colonists).  Funny because I'm on Randy Insane.  Really surprised my Priest managed to resurrect a pawn without any penalty to them at base skill.  Well, she herself is puking her guts out and will be useless for a while.  Oh the pawn I res'd does have res sickness, didn't notice it at first.  I guess that'd suck if she wasn't just sitting in jail, lol.

Still haven't gotten around to testing the physical classes though.  I'm curious about the Hunter.

Edit:  WELL, nothing tests a mage team like a massive manhunter pack of lynxs, lmao.  Sure makes them seem a LOT more balanced now (Not like my normal guns could handle these straight on either).  The difference between Necro and a lot of the other classes is a lot more clear now.

Ay, managed to win by funneling them through a door so only one could come at a time with shielded Pally tanking and people sniping behind him (And Priest healing).  Fun combo.  The explosion from the Summoner turret probably did the most damage though, that's a bit nuts.

Heal spells will cancel on a target if they're incapacitated but still cost mana/go on cooldown.  Beyond the probably known if you try to cast a spell that's out of range, it will eat your mana as well.  At least the latter is easy enough to avoid.

So far the Summoner seems by far the strongest mage class I've tested.  The CD and mana cost keeps a lot of the others in check, but he's just running around throwing explosions and turrets down, and has a bunch of ways to distract enemies as well.  Necro is actually one of the most balanced classes, I thought he was pretty OP but his first spell being kinda weak direct damage helps.  Still never got around to testing corpse explosion, but the mana cost of all his spells seems to keep him in check enough.

Summoner also seems to level really quick, I guess always tossing out his minions helps that.  He's out leveling the rest of my team quite a bit.  Early game OPness of most the mage classes has calmed down a bit but he's still really strong.  Ice mage seems a bit weak so far, but I did just turn my gifted pawn into one (First time I got all spells immediately from a book).  They have some useful buffs and debuffs though, so that makes sense.

Err, my Greater Minion just ate a human corpse's leg...  I was going to revive them x.X  At least I think he did.  For some reason he's just running back and forth to try to consume corpses in my corpse freezer even though there's stuff to mine and clean.  I thought the minor ones cleaned, hmm.

Just recruited the Fire Mage finally.  Fireclaw is really awesome, nice job with that.  Probably my favorite offensive spell now.  Haven't tested it in battle but I like the rng to it.  Do mage bolt type spells use the shooting skill?  Not sure how their accuracy works with the spells that can miss.

Torann

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 07, 2018, 09:22:51 PM
Sounds great! I'm excited in whatever direction you decide to take your mod. Do you plan on making any special items?
I only mention that class thing since it may be some time before new classes go into development, but I'm certainly not ignoring or discarding class ideas.

For items, I probably will only have a very limited amount of items, particularly weapons or armor or robes that have their own graphics. 

I'm planning a few 'unique' items/item types that will have specific properties to A RimWorld of Magic.  An example would be an item that grants mana cost reduction to all spells used by the wearer.  Other flavor of items will create a magical effect when used, like a belt that allows the wearer to blink or cast a small heal.  For those types of items, they will fill an existing slot type so you'll have to choose between the magical item or maybe a tech superior with better stats.
Some artifacts may do both (magical effect + passives).

notfood gave permission to use "Infused" as a basis for enchantments so I'll be able to build on an already considerable mod.  Enchantments will come before items.

Harry_Dicks

That sounds great. If I may offer one bit of info of something I found I didn't like about Infused - it's that items that were infused never had their value affected in any significant way (if they were even affected at all). I think an item's value should at least somewhat reflect the power of the infusion.

Would you plan more special items if you had an artist that could supply you with the textures? BTW I'm always down for more cool looking robes, hooded or not! ;) I also love the idea of "blink belts" and other fun stuff like that. I feel like the whole "belt" category is really underutilized by mods, and is a great slot to have unique things that you've described.

Also, maybe you are interested in shields, especially for the paladin. In the new LotR mod that is being made, there is a new test build for the Dwarves that has couple new shield types built in. Just something I thought you might be interested in looking at :)

HerrColonel

I really like your last updates. The mod is really fleshed out now.

One thing I still feel weird with is how to equip my mages pawns.
Usually I give them a ranged weapon because I readed shield belt dont work with spells (didnt tested though) and the maximum amount of armor to prevent any permanent dmg.
But that would be nice if we had some special gear for mages (or normal gear made out of a special stuff like maybe cloth enchanted by a mage's spell) like robes and hats that we would value over helmets and armor vests because of buffs like reduced spell cost.
Maybe we could also have something equipped as weapon like staffs or wands with other buffs so we value it higher than an actual weapon for mages. Like ability to carry more mana. Guns for mages is a bit redundant, for example I give my necro a sniper rifle because she fights with her zambes usually at max range of the fog spell so that's what fits her the best. But it doesn't make sense a necromancer needs to use a sniper rifle. Mods like sidearms (sorry for butchering the title) can also be nice to switch to a personal defense weapon in case the mage is out of mana. In this case, the mana pool buff would not carry on and the mage would be down to 100% out of 150% if he re-equips it afterwards.
I think stuff like that can be worth looking into because we have so much different classes already

Harry_Dicks

I am using the ice and fire wands from the Filthy Orc Invasion mod (along with the heads on spikes!) and I think that goes well. I am also using the bow that shoots three arrows from the Forsaken mod. I'm thinking if Torann does do it, he can make all kinds of awesome weapons with interesting effects. Maybe a wand that makes enemies get entangled with roots, a bow that shoots ice arrows, a staff with ranged attack that makes enemies bleed the more they move. The sky is the limit! ;D

Canute

Hmm, i think most of us agree that mage's are pretty overpowered.
And HerrColonel mention about mage weapons
(too bad an old magic mod don't got an active link to the mod anymore) why not made all mage classes violent.
Like at most RPG games all mages are paper class, much attack power with their spell but can't directly any foe.

Ok, but then mages can't equip weapons to enhance their magic.
I think low DPS mellee weapon with increased dodge chances and boni to increase the max. mana pool

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Canute on February 09, 2018, 03:52:58 AM
(too bad an old magic mod don't got an active link to the mod anymore) why not made all mage classes violent.

Unifica Magic? A real shame that he got so far, too. I actually posted on his thread on February 2nd and he responded. Anyone interested, check out page out the work this guy did in this thread. Such a shame, in my opinion, to see all of that work just sitting their idle, unable to be enjoyed by anyone not still on A17.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31826.msg395839#msg395839

Canute

No i mean
[A16] Alchemy and Black Magic
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30439.0
The mod got nice robes and hats, together with staff/wands.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Canute on February 09, 2018, 06:20:09 AM
No i mean
[A16] Alchemy and Black Magic
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30439.0
The mod got nice robes and hats, together with staff/wands.

I am actually looking for robes, hates, staffs, and wand textures. However I browsed through all of the textures in that mod and there were none for those, just one wand. Is there another mod you are thinking of? I would love to be able to grab some stuff like that, even from old mods. I will make them into a new mod for myself, if needed. I'm just a terrible artist, so I have to use other's art for this stuff :-/

henk

New bugs :
Visitors using a buff spell give the "boop" sound, which is confusing.
You get a "gained a deeper understanding" message when a visitor gains a level.
Friendly-summoned minions will haul for you.