[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torann

Update notes for v1.8.3:

• Minions and Elementals should no longer generate errors from frostbite or hypothermia.

• Elemental Rift event will now end correctly following a reload.

• The Necromancer skill "Cheating Death" will also add a reduction in undead upkeep cost.  Undead should no longer attempt tasks they cannot perform.
    Feeling singled out, Necromancers have begun returning the social distaste expressed by paladins, priests, and druids.

• Mod Settings have been added to allow players to adjust the rarity of magic traits.

• The Arcane Fold, in response to increased threats against their caravans and colonies, has increased the training and equipment of their guards.

• The Magic pane displays points required to learn class spells;  spells that haven't been learned yet will no longer give the option to upgrade a related skill.

• The mana cost for Summoner skills has increased slightly. Each minion now requires an upkeep cost that reduces the amount of mana a summoner gains each turn by 20%.  Unlike undead, minion upkeep costs are not shared, and each summoner may only have 4 minions at any given time.  Summoning additional minions over this amount will dismiss the oldest minion.  The duration of a summoned minion has doubled and its cooldown has been drastically reduced.

Harry_Dicks

Watching the development of this mod is fantastic. Everything just keeps getting so much better.

HerrColonel

Thanks Torann my necro definitely enjoy the cheating death buff.

I agree with you Harry Dicks. I just relaunched my game to add the insulating walls mod, and noticed the magical update! awesome!

Harry_Dicks

Torann at this rate, I don't know how long you plan on going this strong with your mod and it's updates. But hypothetically if you keep it up, you really will have one of the best mods for RimWorld. I don't know if you plan on it, but if you were to keep developing this all the way to 1.0, I can't even begin to imagine how much it will have been expanded and polished.

WitchLyfe

Quote from: Torann on February 10, 2018, 08:41:04 PM
Update notes for v1.8.3:

• Minions and Elementals should no longer generate errors from frostbite or hypothermia.

• Elemental Rift event will now end correctly following a reload.

• The Necromancer skill "Cheating Death" will also add a reduction in undead upkeep cost.  Undead should no longer attempt tasks they cannot perform.
    Feeling singled out, Necromancers have begun returning the social distaste expressed by paladins, priests, and druids.

• Mod Settings have been added to allow players to adjust the rarity of magic traits.

• The Arcane Fold, in response to increased threats against their caravans and colonies, has increased the training and equipment of their guards.

• The Magic pane displays points required to learn class spells;  spells that haven't been learned yet will no longer give the option to upgrade a related skill.

• The mana cost for Summoner skills has increased slightly. Each minion now requires an upkeep cost that reduces the amount of mana a summoner gains each turn by 20%.  Unlike undead, minion upkeep costs are not shared, and each summoner may only have 4 minions at any given time.  Summoning additional minions over this amount will dismiss the oldest minion.  The duration of a summoned minion has doubled and its cooldown has been drastically reduced.

Oh snap, crazy update, can't wait to test it out when I have more free time.  If you can change the mage appearance to 100%, this is going to be nuts, lol.  Sounds like it's almost time to try a permadeath run with this mod.  That or just put the magic user appearance to max for the improved chaos.

Canute

QuoteSounds like it's almost time to try a permadeath run with this mod. 
Do you realy think it is a good idea to do a permadeath colony with mods ? :-)

Sure TMagic is pretty stable but not 100%.

WitchLyfe

Quote from: Canute on February 11, 2018, 03:14:35 AM
QuoteSounds like it's almost time to try a permadeath run with this mod. 
Do you realy think it is a good idea to do a permadeath colony with mods ? :-)

Sure TMagic is pretty stable but not 100%.

Oh I don't mean actually using permadeath in settings, I mean more just no savescumming.  So far I had no idea what the balance/strength of everything in the mod was like so I've been testing things a lot.  Balance seems to be improving enough that I can play seriously is all.  The skill improvements/clarity helps too.  I wouldn't use the actual permadeath setting even in vanilla with the chance of bugs and issues.

Prince Kasta

A necromancer prisoner leveled up in prison and I can pick an upgrade for him, is that intentional?

HerrColonel

I noticed ennemy mages level up when in your jails. But you can't actually assign their points. It just looks like it. If you manage to recruit them you'll have x amount of unspent points to use. Maybe the message shouldn't be there, because I agree it's confusing

PreDiabetic

Class;Shaman

Basic Abilities;
Natural Surge; Heal allies but doesn't grow limbs. If target already healthy increase it's capacities.
Earthen Core; Cool or heat a room with risen Earthen Core from ground. (1x1 Size) (Act like a cooler or heater)
Deep Waves; Wash over all dirt, blood etc in area also slows things that pass over.

Ultimate;
Crumble, destroy natural rocks in that area. If targeted area has resource then resources also drop (like mining).
I say 3x10 range. Also removes roofs.[/size]

Canute

Even when the word "mage" come into the classname, it has nothing to do with magic.
Sure we can now discuss now the nature of magic, and agree that all kind of magic/psi is more or less some quantummanipulation.

But a Technomag is just a user of some advance technology (if he understood it or not) and basicly nothing different then someone with a charge rifle.

PreDiabetic

Quote from: Canute on February 15, 2018, 02:38:44 AM
But a Technomag is just a user of some advance technology (if he understood it or not) and basicly nothing different then someone with a charge rifle.
You are stuck with Babylon Technomages. I'm not talking about them.

Priest and Paladin has same power source which is Holy but they are differ with extras. If I can literally summon turrets from thin air, reverse time to repair buildings prevent solar flares that would make me mage (especially Arcane) that specialize in Technology hence Technomage.

"Magic's just science that we don't understand yet"

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: PreDiabetic on February 15, 2018, 04:39:08 AM
Quote from: Canute on February 15, 2018, 02:38:44 AM
You are stuck with Babylon Technomages. I'm not talking about them.

Priest and Paladin has same power source which is Holy but they are differ with extras. If I can literally summon turrets from thin air, reverse time to repair buildings prevent solar flares that would make me mage (especially Arcane) that specialize in Technology hence Technomage.

"Magic's just science that we don't understand yet"

PreDiabetic I would recommend you read the past couple pages on this thread. I already tried suggesting a sort of "tactician" class or something like that with permanent/temporary turrets. Torann said something like the "mechanical" style of them did not fit with his idea of the mod, or something to that effect. I did try to re-imagine the turrets as a sort of "temporary totem" that would be summoned by a witch doctor class, which he did say sounds interesting. But as of right now I think he is more focused on polishing then adding new classes. I won't speak for him, but I think he might add some more later, after he cleans up the UI and other things first.

Torann, I am looking forward to see if you are going to change the layout of the magic tab. I wanted to put out a little suggestion for you, I hope you don't mind :)

What would you think about have a special border on all of the spell icons, that would be able to relate to the player what "school" of magic a spell comes from, or if it is a "neutral" spell that is not class specific? This isn't something super huge or a big deal. But if I am ever playing any sort of game that has spells or magic in it, it's these little things that I think help it look that much more polished and professional, without (hopefully) requiring too much effort.

For example, on say lightning spells, you could have some small little bits of lightning/electric/sparks around the spell icon's border. For fire spells you could have tiny flames. And for the neutral spells, maybe just something that is simple but easy to identify. Also, if you don't want to have those little graphics on them, I suppose you could just do a color on the border that would represent the spells "family" that it comes from.

Another thing, I was thinking if you ever wanted to differentiate different tiers of spells. Like when we talked about having a "master spell", these could have not only the flavor border, but also something more elaborate or special that could go on all master levels spells, so the player can instantly know these are the "ultimates" of this class. Maybe you can have a little Roman Numeral inside of the icon to show what level the spell is? I'm thinking you could have all sorts of things change on the icon between spell levels, but that might be a bit too much work, at least for right now. But I think having a I, II, III etc. on spells would be a nice touch.

Finally, maybe you could have an icon that appears on the spell's icon that will show if this is an active or passive spell? Or in the spell tab, you could have any passive spells located in a certain section of the tab. Hmm, not sure.

Anyway, none of them are a really big deal. Just something I was thinking of. Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see what you have for us next. Even if it's just polish and nothing new, those matter just as much to me! ;D

PS I am not complaining about any of the icons, and I don't know if you make them yourself or not, but was curious. Do you make your own spell icons, or do you use any of the free icon packs available online?

PreDiabetic

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 15, 2018, 07:33:51 AM
PreDiabetic I would recommend you read the past couple pages on this thread. I already tried suggesting a sort of "tactician" class or something like that with permanent/temporary turrets. Torann said something like the "mechanical" style of them did not fit with his idea of the mod, or something to that effect. I did try to re-imagine the turrets as a sort of "temporary totem" that would be summoned by a witch doctor class, which he did say sounds interesting. But as of right now I think he is more focused on polishing then adding new classes. I won't speak for him, but I think he might add some more later, after he cleans up the UI and other things first.

All good and cool, it's just a suggestion of course it's his right to do whatever he wants.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: PreDiabetic on February 15, 2018, 07:56:16 AM
All good and cool, it's just a suggestion of course it's his right to do whatever he wants.

Of course! I didn't mean it as you should refrain from suggestions. I was just trying to point out that I had something very similar and it was kinda shot down. Wanted to give you a heads up :)