[1.2] (WIP) Red Horse: Tacticool Expansion

Started by Chicken Plucker, March 17, 2018, 10:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Empire vs US Marines. Who will win?

The freakin' MARINE CORPS BABY OOH-RAH SEMPER-FI!
38 (15.2%)
Galactic Empire. It's treason, then.
43 (17.2%)
This is ridiculous, the Army would step in and run over everyone with their Camaros
3 (1.2%)
This is ridiculous, the Navy would step in and sing YMCA during the fight
5 (2%)
This is ridiculous, the Air Force would be in a 5 star hotel dropping MOABs
9 (3.6%)
This is ridiculous, the Space Force would send in Master Chief
34 (13.6%)
Russia.
118 (47.2%)

Total Members Voted: 250

Madman666

Hey, can you guys also add in a way to actually point your called reinforcements where they should deploy? There are mods that add a trading spots which tell caravans where they should stay, that should be a thing for reinforcements called in too. Because on big bases they usually just hang around in the center of it and just stay there until they leave. while most fighting happens near walls and in killboxes. Just a thought. A minimal control over allied forces would be damn cool to have.

scullex

achtung plus this would be -A_M-A_Z-I_N-G_
would be good for sorta kinda immersion

Chicken Plucker

Hi all, I left an announcement here:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=37014.240

My HDD is currently dead and it may stay dead, Project Red Horse and my modding stuff is now on hold and it may stay this way.

Again, I'm sorry for unanswered questions and lack of replies, I cannot do anything relating to modding for now since a huge fireball came down on me and I've got to wait until the flames subside.

Madman666

Wow, shitballs, i hope you didn't lose anything important. We'll wait and hope everything s fine for you.

Madman666

For when you ll have the time and means to get on with the project (i sincerely hope you will), couple points to consider:
1) I already mentioned, but it would be really nice to have some way of pointing reinforcements in the right direction. Like in Trade Caravan Spot mod which designates caravan "parking" place.
2) Tanks and other "vehicles" of the factions probably shouldn't just evaporate with a boom, maybe let them leave a wreck you can deconstruct for resources. Or at least leave several steel slag chunks.
3) Maybe a way to request different type of reinforcements? Like small spec ops team, medium sized armed brigade or a full-scale asssault squad with vehicular support. With different costs. If thats possible to code that is.
4) Dunno if it can be fixed, but vehicle texes do look blurry and their movement feels real weird, because they're basically 1tile entities with several tile sized sprites... I hope something can be done with, but even if not - still its nice to have tanks!

All those are just my 5 cents after playing around with factions, raids, waves, etc and pitting different factions against each other. Hope you ll be able to sort your problems out without any trouble!

Chicken Plucker

SIGNS OF LIFE!

I bought a new HDD and installed a new Windows, all my files are still lost but I have managed to find some of my older presets passed around in Discord, such as uniform templates and headgear templates.

Sadly, I have still lost a number of works in progress. Stuff like MICH helmet presets, which means, I can't see myself ever reusing that gear again until I can afford to recover the older HDD (not that bad, lots of other helmets are useable) and stuff like the Russian gear presets, which means I may have to make a new template, which sucks but whatever.

All animated films in progress are gone, presets for animations are gone such as the Donald Trump .png files of his emotions, heads and etc. (press F to pay respects)

This is what gets to me the most:

This was a planned MJOLNIR power armor (from Halo) to be introduced to Rimmu-Nation, a gear that would highly augment the user. It would have been a gear used by Wasteland Republic for their special units, to contend against HOUND units.

Sadly, this is the only sample I had saved, the gear separated from each other is in the old HDD.

News on all the complicated Jecrell coding stuff:

Ran into some financial issues, had to ask to cancel all the projects Jecrell was working on, sadly. Which means all the cool stuff like reinforcements, tanks carrying people, missions etc. won't come until I can afford a re-commission.

Unfinished Animation, recovered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZUbvIjHnuA&feature=youtu.be

Sadly, original project is lost, but I can redo the animation with new assets for the steam release. Planning on making animations for almost if not all faction mods.

In summary:

- Lots of cool things gone, very sad. Press F to pay respects, but they may return one day.
- Certain cooler tacticool things on hold, but not gone or cancelled.
- Development for project will not stop, even if the progress is slow, it's time to carry on.

Chicken Plucker

Quote from: Madman666 on May 12, 2018, 07:58:32 AM
For when you ll have the time and means to get on with the project (i sincerely hope you will), couple points to consider:
1) I already mentioned, but it would be really nice to have some way of pointing reinforcements in the right direction. Like in Trade Caravan Spot mod which designates caravan "parking" place.
2) Tanks and other "vehicles" of the factions probably shouldn't just evaporate with a boom, maybe let them leave a wreck you can deconstruct for resources. Or at least leave several steel slag chunks.
3) Maybe a way to request different type of reinforcements? Like small spec ops team, medium sized armed brigade or a full-scale asssault squad with vehicular support. With different costs. If thats possible to code that is.
4) Dunno if it can be fixed, but vehicle texes do look blurry and their movement feels real weird, because they're basically 1tile entities with several tile sized sprites... I hope something can be done with, but even if not - still its nice to have tanks!

All those are just my 5 cents after playing around with factions, raids, waves, etc and pitting different factions against each other. Hope you ll be able to sort your problems out without any trouble!

Hello Madman, I'm gonna respond to each requests

1) Yes, I want this too when I can afford re-commission for Jecrell, because nobody likes watching the British Army calmly and slowly drive 10 scorpion tanks towards a platoon of pirates while they burn down your colony because you only have about 4 colonists, then they arrive too bloody late and they only manage to shoot one pirate that was already shot off the leg anyway.

2) There was a planned rehaul of this, the tanks wouldn't explode and they would carry units. Again, this was affected by the callback of all unfinished commissions for Jecrell, this will be on hold.

3) I don't believe this is possible, from the dev mode you can spawn raid events and they have these numbers or tickets e.g. [ Enemy Raid (3000) ] which lets them pick randomly depending on unit cost, adding up to 3000, it's vague how this works, but it's difficult to force the game to let you pick specific units.

I'm sure it could be possible to make the events handpick specific unit types on C#, but I believe it would be more simple to make a one-in-all raid ticket to be compatible for all factions, and not have to ask Jec to modify each unit type in C# for every faction mod.

4) Yeah, this is a limitation issue, sadly the game forces me to use a centipede mechanoid texture as the biggest I can do, I had to squish in all the main battle tank textures into this small square, and enlarge it in-game, which caused it to be so wierd and pixelated.

(here it is, not very large if you have to fit for example, an M1A1 Abrams in there due to the cannon forcing you to shrink it to heck)

As for the one tile issue, I'm not sure if I can fix that, since even giant monsters from Call of Cthulhu are one tile, again, game limitations on letting you make big creatures. I'll take a look if it lets me modify the tile size when I can mod again, after my 3 day holiday.

Madman666

Thanks kindly for all your answers, Chicken Plucker! I ve been playing with your weapon mods for a long time now and tried out faction mods as well. Gotta say it feels real nice to have some tacticool guys running around shooting each other. I hope Jecrell will have some time to work on those features you mentioned - vehicles dropping units, red phones and other stuff. I really enjoy the balance and hope the project will live on :D

UPD: I guess i kinda rushed there about the balance. Got utterly trashed by 8 slavs with 3 APCs at wealth level ~70000. I literally couldn't do anything since best weapons i had were greatbows. Against their armor and Rushbinov nullifying any pain my shots were like mosquito bites to an elephant. Replayed several times, employing various tactics - the only plan that was successful letting them divide beating on outer walls and ambushing one by one like 8 on 1 in melee, where they can't use their firearms. I was lucky that when i beat all the people, APCs have decided to scram. If they didn't  - i wouldn't been able to even scratch them. Without red phone to call in some cavalry, playing with new factions is quite harsh.

Chicken Plucker

Quote from: Madman666 on May 25, 2018, 03:10:49 PM
Thanks kindly for all your answers, Chicken Plucker! I ve been playing with your weapon mods for a long time now and tried out faction mods as well. Gotta say it feels real nice to have some tacticool guys running around shooting each other. I hope Jecrell will have some time to work on those features you mentioned - vehicles dropping units, red phones and other stuff. I really enjoy the balance and hope the project will live on :D

UPD: I guess i kinda rushed there about the balance. Got utterly trashed by 8 slavs with 3 APCs at wealth level ~70000. I literally couldn't do anything since best weapons i had were greatbows. Against their armor and Rushbinov nullifying any pain my shots were like mosquito bites to an elephant. Replayed several times, employing various tactics - the only plan that was successful letting them divide beating on outer walls and ambushing one by one like 8 on 1 in melee, where they can't use their firearms. I was lucky that when i beat all the people, APCs have decided to scram. If they didn't  - i wouldn't been able to even scratch them. Without red phone to call in some cavalry, playing with new factions is quite harsh.

Sounds horrible! I'm happy to hear these stories, it's hard for me to see other people's experiences, sadly I don't have a lot of people playing with these mods in gameplay videos yet, and with me I don't usually go through too much difficulty because I don't start without... *cough* resource replicator *cough*

Anyways, I am in progress with DOOM Factions now, followed by MERICAAAAAAAAAAAA

In about 4 weeks, I will be paid and I can re-commission Jecrell to resume to the old tacticool stuff so we can tacticooly fix this tacticool error.

My best recommendation to you is using the PC comms table for asking for backup, Task Force 141 is always so nice, they have the highest starting good will during beginnings so you should be able to at least ask for 1 backup.

They send lots of tacticool operators with tacticool high quality gear, and with the player's help, they can dispose of the enemies even faster.

Madman666

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely make use of it next time! Sadly for now i can't show reinforcements the way, so i ll just hope they'll stumble upon the enemy eventually. I am overjoyed that you are working on Red Horse again. Even with all those difficulties i've encountered - its incredibly fun to actually have armored adversaries with good weapons and looking so damn good too. I'd tone down alchohol pain reduction a bit, since its even better than go-juice though.

Will continue to play around and will readily provide any feedback needed.

Chicken Plucker

Union Aerospace is in progress, with some new stuff:

UAC Nano Healer:
It's a mech serum, but UAC patented. Whoever made that Mech Serum better have a good lawyer because UAC is gonna sue lol

UAC Hellcat:
It's a four legged unmanned vehicle, has a GAUSS cannon on it to blow things up with heat damage.

Weaponized Cyberdemon:
Okay, last but not least and my favourite planned upcoming creature in the UAC Faction arsenal.

It's a Cyberdemon, but it works for the "good guys". You will probably never get to see this due to it's high ticket cost to appear for raids, unless you tick off the UAC and you are at war with them.

I have not finished the side and back view yet, this is the most ambitious thing I've done yet because it's new, not just another mechanoid, I have to figure out how to make the size of this thing in the game be the same as Jecrell's Cthonian, except the Cyberdemon has a huge freaking cannon that kills things.

It's specifically built to kill angry space marines that won't stop smashing UAC property, but, it's also built to destroy humans, so I'm excited to see this thing come out and have all of it finished. Will need to ask Jecrell for advice for in-game sizing, which may potentially fix Tank resolution issues.

Chicken Plucker

Quote from: Madman666 on May 29, 2018, 12:38:24 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely make use of it next time! Sadly for now i can't show reinforcements the way, so i ll just hope they'll stumble upon the enemy eventually. I am overjoyed that you are working on Red Horse again. Even with all those difficulties i've encountered - its incredibly fun to actually have armored adversaries with good weapons and looking so damn good too. I'd tone down alchohol pain reduction a bit, since its even better than go-juice though.

Will continue to play around and will readily provide any feedback needed.

Hey Madman! I appreciate your support and posting around to keep the thread lively, I 100% agree that the reinforcement feature right now isn't very good because the reinforcements are too relaxed.

Instead of allowing them to spawn where you want them, would you be okay if they just drop podded in the centre of your colony? This is because as soon as a friendly raid arrives, if they are near the centre of your base, they then proceed to engage enemies on their own. If a player got to point where they go, accidents may happen and they might miss the target spot, or end up just walking casually again.

I guess I'll see when I can afford to re-commission Ol' Jecrell

(end result of the current game's reinforcement system)

Oh P.S. about the Vodka, I'll think about it. It's not as powerful as Go-Juice, all the drinks I have done, but they sure do better due to the fact that they arent as addictive (except for the vodka)

I just tried to be accurate you know, because we all know Russian military grade vodka makes their soldiers feel no pain when they rush B

Madman666

Hehe, i don't think our soldiers are so scary thanks to vodka, but mostly to skills, quantity and wild russian mentality combined with some vodka :)

As for reinforcements - yeah if they proceed to actually go for the enemy once they reach the center of your colony, then yeah, i guess dropping them right into colony center will be an improvement. Still the way to actually tell them where to go would be much more awesome, since you could even use limited tactics, using your own and allied forces to flank the enemy. But if thats impossible or really hard to do - then dropping in the center shuold work fine.

Choosing their drop spot would interesting for another reason - you could prepare a nice and tacticool landing spot they could use too :D

Chicken Plucker

Progress report on Union Aerospace:

I made up my mind, I am redoing all the old UAC armors because they are outdated and it would bore me to death leaving them the way they are. I also got a complaint before about lack of symmetry, and yeah, I suppose its a minor issue.

UAC Sandvich - A sandwich that won't expire, has Lavish Meal nutrition+mood boost effect. Non-craftable for the player, will be sold by UAC and carried by UAC units.

UAC Go-Juice - A less potent and less addictive version of the Go Juice. Will have to tweak it's stats.

Will be carried by UAC units.

Cyber Demon got some minor cosmetic fixes for front view. Side view has been done.

The side view looks off since the arm cannon was actually on the right side of the pawn, but I decided that whenever cyberboi faces sideways I want the cannon to be seen, since the alternative is a big blank area with only part of the cannon sticking out the belly.

Back view is up next.

I have updated all my mods, still need testing to make stuff live. Its plenty of changes to lessen the likelyhood of mod conflicts.
(will be live after some testing)

Gonna carry on back to work!

Special thanks again to Madman for his feedbacks, and all those who come by to take a sneaky peaky of stuff.

Canute

The new armor look's sharp/detailed then the old before. Good work.
But too bad it is wasted artist work for this little grafic ingame IMO.