Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Great report Mirador, thanks a ton for writing it!

Nice to hear a story of medium difficulty, I think a lot of people will play this but sometimes it seems like the forum people only like merciless mode.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Koek

In my previous post I mentioned I didn't like the meat textures, but after playing for a while I think they are better than the previous look. Could get some small changes though, to make it look less blocky. Silver I still don't like, but the other visual improvements are better imo.

Syrchalis

Survival struggle feels pretty good difficulty wise. Even at high wealth values (500.000) it feels decent. I just had a big scyther raid, but due to my base being in a mountain and having a long choke it was repelled very easily. Otherwise it would have been hard, but do-able.

Deadfall traps feel great, their construction work is annoying though, because even my 20 skill archotech arms constructor takes quite a while to make them.

Newest meat looks pretty good. Maybe a bit pale, but given that it's frozen most of the time when you see it... it fits perfectly for frozen meat. Flak pants are okay I guess? Old was fine, this one is fine too.

I don't see any other new textures - I have silver replaced with the early 1.0 version in my mod, so if that changed... I will only see later.

Also thanks for not destroying half my modlist for a change =p
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

d_lichu

Storyteller: Phoebe/Cassandra
Difficulty: Rough
Biome: Temperate Forest (Flat+river)
Commitment mode: yes
Current colony age (days): 227
Complete mode list: core only
Hours played in the last 2 days: 6+
Rimworld versions: before trap rework - now

When my pawn got brain damage (7/10), his manipulation lowers to 70 %. He could haul less steel, but CAN haul all 500 silver stack.

Next pawn, cannot haul. When I told him to go hunting, he goes, he hunts and... he carries deer into the freezer :)

I love butchering until you got x meat :D

Woooo, after the new build all my 75 medicine stacks were reduced to 25 :o
Farewell all my Glitterworld medicine stack :(

And one last thing regarding traps. I build few traps after rework. After a few updates I cannot remove them and they don't trigger on enemy movement (selecting them with deconstruct don't work either).

bbqftw

Oh, its Septober 5501 on the crashlanded start, I wonder how many people refugee chased raid would bring. We have 13 people at the time.

Accepting this makes it 54v14. These aint no tribal jokesters, too! Outlanders with 10+ shield pawns, some submarines, and overall decent weapons. Well ok, I won without taking any damage, but still you should consider whether for sane people that don't use every special tactic in the book whether this is good idea.

Besides, refugee had chemical interest so straight to the trash pile with him.

Greep

I like how usually the better reward for the refugee is the huge influx number of prisoners  ::)

"Woooo, after the new build all my 75 medicine stacks were reduced to 25 :o"

yeah I just devmoded my herbals back.  Makes more sense playtesting wise anyways.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

NotTheMattGuy

Storyteller: Cassandra
Biome/hilliness: Temperate Mountainous
Commitment mode:  Yes
Current colony age (days): Not certain. 60 - 90?
Hours played in the last 2 days: 12+
Complete mod list: None

In my time playing, I have been getting a quest every several days in game. It's been wonderful.

On my current quest a reward is: Marine Armor (Worth 3k+ Silver)... this item does not appear to be described on the wiki - am I missing a detail, or is this new with 1.0 and lacking discussion?

Cassandra is fairly obsessed with throwing manhunter packs at me for my major threats this game. I have had a pack of 19 Cobras, a pack of 14 Winter Wolves, a pack of 11 panthers, an angry pack of ~9 Muffalo, and an early horde of manhunter chinchillas. The meat swarm was much appreciated.

Traditional raids are largely irrelevant for me. I have ~50 wooden deadfall traps at the two main entry points to my base. The largest raid was 15 tribals, who came in 3 separate groups and suicided rapidly on my traps. I noticed that each group broke individually, so before any real combat happened, the entire enemy was routed.

The most difficult (successful) event thus far was a psychic ship. 8 Lancers 2 Scythers. THe lancers got some lucky shots and my colonists lost 3 legs in the fight.

When I quit just a couple of hours ago, my first Devilstrand harvest came in (About 8,000 Devilstrand.. I planted a field of epic proportions). I should have thought a bit harder about that decision. My wealth SKYROCKETED when I harvested and a raid spawned in with ~35 raiders wielding rocket launchers, sniper rifles, assault rifles, a mix of flak/power armor, incendiary launchers, some frag grenades, and a few other weapons here and there... Even worse, is many of my traps have yet to be reinstalled. My carpenters have been tied up with other tasks. I saw the raid coming and exited the game, figured I'll deal with it tomorrow (AKA, I'll start over tomorrow after dying horribly).

I'm sort of a noob, only played since 1.0... So I was completely caught with my pants down by the above raid. I have a flak vest on each of my 11 colonists, good/excellent bolt action rifles mostly for weapons, advanced helmets, and leather shirt/pants of varying types (Mostly panther leather from one of the animal raids). Off the top of my head, my wealth went from ~40k to around 120k. Fairly certain that my short sightedness on the wealth impact of all those red shrooms is going to give me a game over! Lesson learned.

mcduff

Yikes, that 25 stack size thing just took out over half my medicine stock when I reloaded!

Anniebenlen

Storyteller: Randy
Biome/hilliness: Arid Shrubland/Small Hills
Commitment mode: (yes/no) yes
Current colony age (days): 68
Hours played in the last 2 days: about 6
Complete mod list: Display Radius, Numbers

My first game without any scumsaving, and at the highest difficulty I've played..  Just over a year passed, but I felt like I never got out of the begining game phase.

I was done in by raids, as expected since I am terrible at combat in pretty much any game I play.  I actually didn't have any colonist die in battle, but because of medical complications afterwards.  The end came when my two surviving colonists were downed by accepting a person being chased, and then I found out that the rescuee was a 76 year old hermit (ha!) who couldn't doctor.  They died, and she was on her own again.  Until the ostritch tore off her right leg, that is.

The new graphics take some getting used to, but I don't hate them.  I actually like the meat cubes and will probably try making some in real life and feed them (cooked) to my husband just cause they're funny. The game was harder than I am used to of course, but didn't feel unfair.  I think that I can learn to get better at combat to survive longer at the difficulty, though I will probably drop it down to medium my next playthrough.

My biggest irritation was that when my colonists were downed their weapons were forbidden and I sometimes had a hard time finding them, but that is a .18 issue too.  Really, think everything should default to allowed, and then let the player decide to forbid them.  I know there are probably good reasons why it is the way it is.  I just know this issue made the game less fun for me.

I hate to say this, but I think I agree with Tynan that commitment mode really makes the game better.  I was playing Rimworld as more a less a building sim, and there is so much more depth to this than that gendre.  I was more involved with the struggles of my colony, and I felt more of an emotional connection to my pawns (to a point, I know they're just pixels and AI, of course).

I don't know if I got far enough for my data to offer any use, but there is the graph anyways.  Off to start a new colony!

[attachment deleted due to age]

tomay

For the new traps would be better to have "Auto Rearm" option turned "ON" with default.

Syrchalis

Tribespeople have joined to help you immediately:

And I'm facing a haywire droppods mech raid - it's already a third dead, just 7 centipedes left. That's at least an ally raid worth mentioning. Colony Wealth: 1,03 mil

Oh... that actually was just half of the friendly raid, lol.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

NagashUD

"Losing one eye now sets sight to 75%, not 50% (the same applies to ears and hearing)."

huh ?? i don't really understand, so losing both eyes reduce 50% of sight ? weird imo ...

Syrchalis

Quote from: NagashUD on July 28, 2018, 08:00:40 AM
"Losing one eye now sets sight to 75%, not 50% (the same applies to ears and hearing)."

huh ?? i don't really understand, so losing both eyes reduce 50% of sight ? weird imo ...
I don't think that's how it works. Losing both still lowers it to 0%, but losing just one doesn't halve it anymore. I mean, if you lose one eye it's not like you're half blind...

5thHorseman

Quote from: NagashUD on July 28, 2018, 08:00:40 AM

No.

Lose one eye, have 75% of sight. Lose both, have 0% of sight. It makes more sense, because with only one eye you can't suddenly only see half as much.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Rah

Could someone extract and link the new core texture files from 1978? Would be appreciated.