Caribou Revenge is still ridiculous

Started by Shurp, October 13, 2018, 07:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5thHorseman

Quote from: Scavenger on October 16, 2018, 09:20:47 PM
Or just use feed the colonists.. prevent you from having to have yet another colonists constantly haul resources over to that spot as often.
I tend to avoid mods that change gameplay. Especially those that change it to make it easier. I have to very strongly disagree with a design choice by the devs to mod it out and in this case... I don't think it's a problem. Less than that. I don't think about it unless I'm on the forum and see others talking about it.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Scavenger

See... Im exactly the same way. I refuse to use any mods unless I think they are very well-balanced, I hate anything that makes the game easier. But this one does seem balanced, and it's something I think should be in the actual game itself, as forcing one or a lot of Pawns to do nothing but cook 24/7 isn't exactly fun. I think it takes away from gameplay. At least this way they can stretch their legs every once in awhile or get a full night's sleep or even use one of their other skills instead of just slaving away. And it stops you from having to use that stupid mechanic exploit of stacking food on a stool next to your cook, which I think is far more annoying than using a mod haha. Bunch of more microing.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

vzoxz0

QuoteUnfortunately force to use wiki because I'm not at the rimputer, but it says fine meals take 8 work, and with 1000 seconds in a day theoretically a single stove can make over 100 meals a day so 40 seems plausible.

Simple meals are 5 work and they still take too much time. You have to carry stuff as well, and remember that you only have about 10-ish effective work hours to begin with (lest your colonists break from lack of recreation and sleep in a matter of days). So you have 417 seconds a day if your "1000 seconds in 24 hours" thing is correct. Assuming it takes about a second to carry stuff per meal and something like 5 seconds to cook for an average chef under good circumstances, that's 6 seconds per simple meal. In theory I suppose that yes, one colonist can sustain about 20-30 colonists assuming nothing ever happens to the chef and that the supply line is perfect.

For fine meals it's about 9 seconds since you have to estimate around a second to get the meals. That means 46ish meals per day which is enough for ... maybe 20 colonists.

This is all if you have access to food on a consistent basis, and aren't running to a freezer constantly to obtain food.

It also doesn't take into account the work cost of food poisoning, which is immense.

B@R5uk

I just have found another hunting problem. As before it's pack hunting. Hunter goes, shoots one animal to the pain collapse, then goes and cuts the neck. But there is no spot to store the corpse, so he leaves it laying on the ground and ATTENTION! starts shooting next target right away in the middle of the pack. Of course he will get murdered once animals decide it's too brass of an act.

I think that hunting as it is now isn't supposed to be automatic. Current mechanic helps a lot to reduce player input but hunting should still be manual in most cases.

zizard

Quote from: vzoxz0 on October 17, 2018, 05:30:18 AM
QuoteUnfortunately force to use wiki because I'm not at the rimputer, but it says fine meals take 8 work, and with 1000 seconds in a day theoretically a single stove can make over 100 meals a day so 40 seems plausible.

Simple meals are 5 work and they still take too much time. You have to carry stuff as well, and remember that you only have about 10-ish effective work hours to begin with (lest your colonists break from lack of recreation and sleep in a matter of days). So you have 417 seconds a day if your "1000 seconds in 24 hours" thing is correct. Assuming it takes about a second to carry stuff per meal and something like 5 seconds to cook for an average chef under good circumstances, that's 6 seconds per simple meal. In theory I suppose that yes, one colonist can sustain about 20-30 colonists assuming nothing ever happens to the chef and that the supply line is perfect.

For fine meals it's about 9 seconds since you have to estimate around a second to get the meals. That means 46ish meals per day which is enough for ... maybe 20 colonists.

This is all if you have access to food on a consistent basis, and aren't running to a freezer constantly to obtain food.

It also doesn't take into account the work cost of food poisoning, which is immense.

I meant a single stove with rotating chefs all day.

Quote from: B@R5uk on October 17, 2018, 05:38:42 AM
I just have found another hunting problem. As before it's pack hunting. Hunter goes, shoots one animal to the pain collapse, then goes and cuts the neck. But there is no spot to store the corpse, so he leaves it laying on the ground and ATTENTION! starts shooting next target right away in the middle of the pack. Of course he will get murdered once animals decide it's too brass of an act.

I think that hunting as it is now isn't supposed to be automatic. Current mechanic helps a lot to reduce player input but hunting should still be manual in most cases.

Yeah I only really auto hunt when people are starting to idle, for xp and to waste time. I designate to hunt harmless stuff using sniper rifles lol.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: vzoxz0 on October 17, 2018, 05:30:18 AM

If you'd construct a second stove you'd need a second colonist to work it anyway.  It makes more sense to first put a 2nd cook on the first stove on night shift.  This is also true for other work stations of course.

My initial surprise was aimed more at players saying they build multiple stoves on relatively small colonies.  At least with the nutrient paste you are making a tangible tradeoff (weaker mood for more productivity by allocating cook and some hauler labor elsewhere).  I don't like this trade, because you wind up allocating significant labor into other sources of mood regardless and a 9 point swing is large, but at least it makes sense sometimes.

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on October 16, 2018, 10:42:51 AM

Did something change very recently to nerf cooking speed?  One fueled stove shouldn't have any issues keeping up with 10 pawns.  I've had cooking time to spare with nearly 20 pawns using one electric stove.  For those late game 40+ pawn Randy colonies I refuse to manage I could legit see the need for more.

My first game with Version 1.0, set to all standard configurations saw 13 pawns of which half of them lost a limb (I made several reports on the "finished product" thread) and it just happened that those with passion in cooking also had other passions on their character sheet, so I needed them out of the kitchen as fast as possible so they would perform other jobs as well. This game had no colonists proficient in Research as I don't re-roll for a Dream Team and go with the ones that pop first, not even selecting among the Left Behind. Mechanoids came in at a normal game rate but my colony was way behind in technology.

What changed is that now everything hits harder, you can even see a turtle outmatch a panther, because Tynan knows "balancing" very well.

That first run was already left as "finished" once I researched Fabrication and again...had very little rare mineral resources....which again...I mentioned before in the V1.0 thread.

Now I'm on a third game but this time in Arid Shrubland and larger map and see more rare minerals but again... I still think Tynan messed up the resources too badly, most notably the removal from temporary maps, making caravanning even more useless than ever...but now I drift to other topics that are not related to the subject.

Scavenger

This has nothing to do with the topic lol. And yet more of your usual mostly baseless complaining. I've done just fine in the same situation, even starting as tribal. Sometimes you're unlucky but strategy removes many risks. Just gotta use your head.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde